confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
Original poster
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Noctua's fans have been produced in the same shades of Coffee and Cream since the company launched in 2005, much to the chagrin of many within the PC enthusiast community. While some saw the colours as a distinct brand, and thus a signature fitting for a premium product, many saw the colours as not particularly eye-pleasing, if not generally incompatible with the colours used in other components. Still, Noctua held to its trademark livery for quite some time, showing that they were focused more on performance than aesthetics.

Read more here.

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
Noctua's fans have been produced ....

I knew it ! I knew it ! Humans are producing humans ! Wait ... oh ... fans like the thing blowing air, nor the people deeply in love with their products :D

... in the same shades of Coffee and Cream since the company launched in 2005, much to the chagrin of many within the PC enthusiast community. While some saw the colours as a distinct brand, and thus a signature fitting for a premium product, many saw the colours as not particularly eye-pleasing, if not generally incompatible with the colours used in other components.

Been using noctua heatsink and fans only since I first bought one in 2007. I really do find the cream / brown scheme appealing. My only complain toward them is the unnecessary over premium packaging that is very not eco friendly (especially with the 40mm fan).

Still, Noctua held to its trademark livery for quite some time, showing that they were focused more on performance than aesthetics.

The redux might be old design, but damn the two tone grey scheme is gorgeous.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I have some redux fans, they are still high-quality but lack the accessories and "ultimate technology", still they get the job done.
I've been very happy with anything Noctua has convinced me to buy.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Nice write-up! I really like the look of the IndustrialPPC fans, but damn that pricetag is a tough one to swallow. Will we see performance tests in comparison to the regular Noctua fans?

confusis

Original poster
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
In time. I need to standardise on some form of testing methodology for fans as it is difficult to accurately test airflow without thousands of dollars in equipment costs

Last edited:
Reactions: iFreilicht

Pat-Roner

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 18, 2016
I just got a couple of NF-F12 pwm 2000rpm ones, and boy I hate them.

I originally bought the 120er vardars from ekwb, but after changing them 3 times because of noisy bearings I went with Noctuas since they are well regarded.

Man was I wrong. Terrible whine from the motor, and really noisy compared to the vardars.

confusis

Original poster
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Might be a bad batch - I've had quite a few different Noctua fans over the years (along with Yate loons, Scythe Gentle Typhoons, cheap nasty Coolermaster fans, etc etc) and the Noctuas have been the most reliable and well built. (tied with DeepCool fans, which I didn't expect!)

Pat-Roner

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 18, 2016
Might be a bad batch - I've had quite a few different Noctua fans over the years (along with Yate loons, Scythe Gentle Typhoons, cheap nasty Coolermaster fans, etc etc) and the Noctuas have been the most reliable and well built. (tied with DeepCool fans, which I didn't expect!)

I hope do hope so. I've contacted noctua, and I hope they'll help me.

Theres just nothing more unacceptable than noise from the motor it self - atleast not in a 30$ fan.

Funny you should mention CM, as I have a couple of Silencio FP fans from them, and they are the quietest fans I've heard - they just have a bit to small PWM range for me(800-1400), but dead silent.

My personal preference is Be Quiet!, they didn't have in stock.

confusis

Original poster
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Hopefully Noctua do help.

The worst fan I've ever had the displeasure of buying was a NZ$20 Bitfenix 140mm fan. Motor whine, motor ticking and general 'chuffing' noises were apparent right out of the box!

I must try the Silencio fans they do look interesting - I only had experience with the bottom of the lines one included in cases (the 'Standard' range), as well as their Sickleflow range, and none were particularly quiet. Their 'Standard' fan would last a few months before I'd have to replace them :/

Pat-Roner

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 18, 2016
I think so. I've heard all but positive things about their support.

Yeah, they are insanely quiet and do push a lot of air. If only they went lower. <500rpm would have been perfect.

Pat-Roner

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 18, 2016
I just got this response from Noctua.
Man I'm disappointed.

I'm afraid that these noises are normal for iPPC fans. These use three phase motors which can be louder than regular motors especially when running at reduced speed.
Increasing the fan speed might help though.
In case this isn't acceptable, I would suggest that you have your retailer replace these fans with regular beige-brown NF-F12-pwm fans as these are quieter.

Best regards,
Alexander Dyszewski
Noctua support team

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Well maybe you can try to run them at a higher, fixed speed where the motor noise isn't noticeable and neither is the air turbulence? But that's quite annoying, I absolutely agree with that. Do they point that out on their website?

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
While no company will say a negative thing about their fans, I also didn't see the words "quiet" or "silent" in their iPPC industrial line up overview:

Conceived for industrial heavy duty applications that require enhanced cooling performance and advanced ingress protection, Noctua’s industrialPPC (Protected Performance Cooling) line comprises ruggedised high-speed versions of the company’s award-winning retail models. Thanks to the outstanding aerodynamic efficiency of Noctua’s designs and the use of a novel three-phase motor, the industrialPPC versions provide superior airflow and pressure capacity while keeping noise levels and power consumption moderate as against comparable high-speed fans. While their fibre-glass reinforced polyamide construction and certified water and dust protection make the industrialPPC fans suitable for operation in challenging environments, the renowned SSO2 bearing technology guarantees an MTBF of over 150.000hrs. Topped off with Noctua’s trusted reliability and 6 years manufacturer’s warranty, the industrialPPC series are an ideal choice for highly demanding applications that require superior flow rates and ultimate dependability.
Red flags marked appropriately.

Reactions: iFreilicht

Pat-Roner

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 18, 2016
I tried, but the sound is always there, but around 1000rpm the turbulence overshadows it.

I just exchanged them for a pair of regular NF-F12's and hey presto. Man are they good - the air pressure is totally bonkers.

They do not state it on their website that they probably should. They get a lot of complaints about this when I searched.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
It's a double edged sword to mention that, but it seems like the should bite the bullet on that one, especially as so many people seem to expect the iPPC fans to just be normal fans in black colour. A disclaimer would be appropriate, or at least a mention in a product comparison table.

confusis

Original poster
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
I will edit the article to note this. Thanks folks :)

EDIT: Added the below to the 'Cons' list for the Industrial PPC Fan:
  • Noise - forum member Pat_Roner has noted that the fans they have tried from this range have a motor whine, as well as just being generally noisy.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pat-Roner

Pat-Roner

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 18, 2016
I will edit the article to note this. Thanks folks :)

EDIT: Added the below to the 'Cons' list for the Industrial PPC Fan:
  • Noise - forum member Pat_Roner has noted that the fans they have tried from this range have a motor whine, as well as just being generally noisy.

That's great! Enlighten people.

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
They are called "Industrial" and people in the industry don't care 'bout the noise, only the performances are important.

Looking at their specs, they are listed for 29db while regular F12 PWM are advertised for 22db. With sound volume doubling every 3db, it is more than 4 times louder. I'm playing the devils advocate there, but the noise was to be expected.

Pat-Roner

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 18, 2016
They are called "Industrial" and people in the industry don't care 'bout the noise, only the performances are important.

Looking at their specs, they are listed for 29db while regular F12 PWM are advertised for 22db. With sound volume doubling every 3db, it is more than 4 times louder. I'm playing the devils advocate there, but the noise was to be expected.
They also go 500rpm higher which accounts for the 7db increase. Except for the motor, the fan and noise profile is the same. I only complained about the noise emitted from the motor at low rpm.