confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
Original poster
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Having already investigated Noctua's NH-L9a - an ultra-low profile unit designed for AMD sockets - we turn our attention today to the NH-L9x65, a top-down cooler that (comparatively at least) adds some height in exchange for improved acoustic and thermal performance. This 65mm high cooler is claimed by Noctua to be compatible with any motherboard layout that uses the supported sockets, which is good news, given the challenge many have with fitting CPU coolers in most SFF builds.

Read more here.

Reactions: Phuncz

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Great review and another very interesting cooler. I'm loving the fact that it supports the standard 15mm thick fan but also a 25mm thick fan !
Or with a low TDP CPU you might be able to use no fan at all with just a case fan breezing air past it.

confusis

Original poster
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Not sure on the low TDP fanless use - the fins are pretty tightly packed which may not be fortuitous for passive cooling. Alas my lowest wattage CPU at the moment is my FX8350.. (wait what? Yep - turned off 4 cores to make it a FX-4350 of sorts. 55W max power consumption so far!)

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
15-30W is more what I was thinking of when I said "low TDP", like with the S and T-series Intel CPUs.

confusis

Original poster
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Ah, that makes sense. I was more implying that I am unable to test the hypothesis on the hardware available to me :)

confusis

Original poster
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
It is a bit odd, but there is a spot for it - cases that would support coolers like the Scythe Big Shuriken 2, Samuel 17, etc in height, but on motherboards with horrible layouts (socket right next to PCIe slot for example)

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Personally I like it because it has good enough performance for even a stock Haswell-E chip but is small enough I don't have to worry about the weight of the heatsink tweaking the board like a large air cooler could since I carry my rig back and forth to work.

A water cooler addresses that problem of course but can still hear the NZXT X41 pump even when it's running at 6V.