SFF.Network [SFF Network] NVIDIA's Titan X is now available

NVIDIA recently announced their new Pascal-based NVIDIA TITAN X (not to be confused with the older NVIDIA GeForce GTX TITAN X, which is obviously a different product). The NVIDIA TITAN X features 3,584 CUDA cores at 1.53GHz, 12 billion transistors, 12GB of GDDR5X, and up to 60% better performance than the GeForce GTX TITAN X.

The TITAN X is now available direct from NVIDIA's website. Unfortunately though the NVIDIA TITAN X is launching at a $1200 price tag, a $200 increase over the original price for the GeForce GTX TITAN X.

Read more here.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
The lack of review units reaffirms my suspicion that this is a compute card and not a gaming card, most likely not going to outrun a GTX 1080 by much. But there are plenty of people looking for a good compute card, not willing to spend Quadro or Tesla money, even though this card is still a hefty gaming PC's worth.

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
The lack of review units reaffirms my suspicion that this is a compute card and not a gaming card, most likely not going to outrun a GTX 1080 by much. But there are plenty of people looking for a good compute card, not willing to spend Quadro or Tesla money, even though this card is still a hefty gaming PC's worth.

Knowing nvidia, they'll lower the FP64 artificial lock, raising from 1/32 FP32 perf like it is on Geforces and Quadro .... To something lower than 1/2 (Tesla card).

Prolly something around 1/8 or 1/4. And dont forget the premium price for a figure change in the card bios.

PNP

Airflow Optimizer
Oct 10, 2015
Something to bear in mind is that this card is does not have GeForce in the name like the last Titan X. Nor does it have the Quadro or Tesla monikers, so it's an amorphous compute card for...small-time professionals I guess.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015

That's been suggested why there is the somewhat confusing omission of "GeForce" in the name. So it is simply "Titan (X)". The branding now doesn't present it to be just a gamer card but a prosumer card, sitting somewhere between GeForce and Quadro.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Hardware Canucks has a review. Holy crap, it performs about 35% better than a GTX 1080. This might actually be worth the money.

And it can run 1923MHz overclocked on the reference cooler ! Holy crap Nvidia, what witchcraft is this ?!

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Another juicy detail is that the cooler and backplate both say "Geforce GTX".

|||

King of Cable Management
Sep 26, 2015
You can see in the detailed power analysis that PCPer did that it remains below 250W for everything but a seldom peak. It looks like the GTX 1080 regularly went above it's rated 180W.

With this being the case, the Titan X (Pascal) may very well have a better performance per watt ratio than the GTX 1080 (but not by too much).

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
People who buy Titans usually just want them because they're the absolute best, power efficiency is just an added plus.

Did PCPer run their benchmarks at stock speeds? The variation of GPU boost speeds in different applications makes TFlops harder to measure.

|||

King of Cable Management
Sep 26, 2015
Those runs I posted were at stock speeds. They did run some at overclocked speeds, that you can look up in the review I linked to.