SFF.Network [SFF Network] ASRock Launches New Mini ITX FM2+ Motherboard

ASRock has just launched their new A88M-ITX/ac motherboard, featuring AMD's socket FM2+ and the A88X chipset. Interestingly, the DDR3 slots are orientated 90 degrees from the norm, enabling more efficient front to back airflow.

The FM2+ socket and 5-phase VRM is placed in the center with the chipset and dual band 802.11ac Wi-Fi module sitting between the socket and a single PCI-E x16 slot along the bottom edge. Six SATA 6Gbps ports are located in the lower right corner. The board also includes an 8 pin power input to help support those higher wattage APUs.

Read more here.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Personally, I feel like RAM and ATX24pin on the front is the better way to go, as most cases that would utilise an APU well have their exhaust vents on the side, not the front. In any case, you can work around it by using VLP DIMMs and it is of course nice to have options.

A little bit disappointing is the lack of storage M.2, but I guess that's to be expected from a real budget board.

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
Original poster
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
I do prefer the layout of this board, but I like front-back cooling, enabling me to sit stuff on the top panel (in HTPC location) or stuff a NAS based on something like this into a bookshelf

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Which particular case do you have in mind for that sort of thing? To me it seems like FM2+ boards are most often used in cases like the Antec ISK 110 or, if you're going a bit larger, need an expansion card or an internal PSU, you'd use something in the vein of the Silverstone Milo ML03. There are a lot of similar cases, but none of them really offer front-to-back cooling.

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
Original poster
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
I was more referring to personal preference here. All front-back cooling I have done was scratchbuilds!

IntoxicatedPuma

Customizer of Titles
SFFn Staff
Feb 26, 2016
I can't figure out what this board adds over the A88X-ITX except M.2 support. The one thing that bothered me about the A88X-ITX is you could support mSATA but not with Wifi at the same time. I think if you used the mSATA, one of the SATA ports also got disabled...hopefully its not the same with the m.2 - as this would make a great HTPC/NAS build in a Node 304 :D

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
I can't figure out what this board adds over the A88X-ITX except M.2 support. The one thing that bothered me about the A88X-ITX is you could support mSATA but not with Wifi at the same time. I think if you used the mSATA, one of the SATA ports also got disabled...hopefully its not the same with the m.2 - as this would make a great HTPC/NAS build in a Node 304 :D
Looks like that won't be possible. In order to put in a M.2-2240 SSD, you have to remove the wifi. If there is a free M.2 slot on the underside of the board, we can then jump for joy.

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
Here's hoping. Wish ASRock would do like other manufacturers and post a pictures of the board's underside.