SFF.Network [SFF Network] AMD reveals some details of Polaris, their next GPU architecture

The slide deck emphasizes the benefit of the smaller process node for power efficiency and performance/watt but one thing I noticed is several different slides specifically call out SFF as a beneficiary of this, with phrases like "Enables incredible form factors", "The GPU design for Small Form Factors", and my favorite: "Discrete cards with less power connectors". As someone using two splitters in order to get the necessary number of connectors to run my dual GPUs off a SFX PSU, that is welcome news indeed.

Read more here.

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
"Discrete cards with less power connectors"

This. Please let this be a thing.

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
AMD seems to really be targeting SFF as of late - this, the R9 Fury, the R9 Nano, socket AM1, consoles.. I like it :D

zillatron

Trash Compacter
Dec 5, 2015
AMD seems to really be targeting SFF as of late - this, the R9 Fury, the R9 Nano, socket AM1, consoles.. I like it :D
Love it! I haven't even built in my Metis and I'm already excited by (ahem...planning) the idea of rebuilding with whatever follows the Nano and whatever is coming with Zen.

So much potential!

BirdofPrey

Standards Guru
Sep 3, 2015
I wonder with the die shrink and HBM how far off we might be from having low profile graphics cards that aren't so cut down as to not be worth it vs integrated graphics

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Some people speculate this is the reason Nvidia hasn't put much effort into low-end cards and it is assumption Nvidia will launch a new naming/numbering scheme with Pascal to stretch out it's mid-range to high-end cards over a new scheme.

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
Not unlikely. After the 9xxxGT(X) series they had a nomenclature reset to avoid a 10xxxGT(X) series rollover. We're already at the GTX 9xx series, so Nvidia would either have a GTX 10xx series or switch numbering conventions again.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
AMD really knows how to enthuse us. The rumors about mITX AM4 boards for high numbers of cores or strong APUs (and DirectX 12 allowing us to use the latter in tandem with ITX GPUs to reach even higher performance), the R9 Nano as the strongest ITX card on the market and now specifically mentioning SFF as a benefit of Polaris are all the things I want to hear from them.

Hopefully they can deliver on all of that and avoid another faux-pas like the R9 Nanos power management.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
The R9 Nano's power management is not really a real issue or faux-pas, it just came to the attention when using laptop PSUs, which I find is unfair to blame on the GPU, since both are being used out-of-spec anyway. We should be glad it's nearly possible to drive this much CPU and GPU power over a reasonably-sized power brick.