SFF... Minigun?

|||

King of Cable Management
Sep 26, 2015
Problem with guns is people, and problem with people is mental illness.

This doesn't establish causality. While there would be concern of a mentally ill person handling fire arms, there are certainly people without mental illness that use guns with ill intent. I'm not going to repeat what others have already said in the post, but yeah, many concerns otherwise.

LocoMoto

DEVOURER OF BAKED POTATOES
Jul 19, 2015
This doesn't establish causality. While there would be concern of a mentally ill person handling fire arms, there are certainly people without mental illness that use guns with ill intent. I'm not going to repeat what others have already said in the post, but yeah, many concerns otherwise.

That is true, and I did make a very general statement there where the human psyche probably would've been a much better fit, mental illness would be something of perspective, our way of categorizing a persons way of thinking and therefore their way of acting, actually a very poor choice of words.
What is considered a mental illness today might be seen as just the opposite tomorrow.
Perspective really is the major factor in anything we do, anything we see, we hear, we feel, mankind's mind is complex, it's diverse and far from an either or.

The gift of laughter and joy, the pain of the bang, the fear of it's presence, the intrigue of it's complexity and simplicity, the formulas that make it work as it does... That's just a few perspectives of a balloon.

ricochet

SFF AFFLICTED
Oct 20, 2016
Though I served in a use of force career which was weapons systems based (thank goodness I was taught early and always remembered that a weapon was a secondary response tool and not a primary!) I tend to think that a vast majority of humans should not handle/use/own them (or other deadly machinery for that matter e.g. automobiles, trucks, lifting equipment, etc.) because of this concept in general.

Why? Most people when armed unfortunately respond incorrectly as they are wrongly empowered (bordering aggressive) and far too comfortable (blinded by a false sense of security) when they should in fact be humbled (remaining calm, cautious, and mindful) by the superior position they are in (which in fact may not be as superior as they think!).

Humans can be just plain stupid, overly emotional, too silly, and immature in the briefest moments of their lives... but that time is long enough to create great chaos, pain, and grief. I sincerely believe that any form of weapon requires a level of training, self-awareness (firm grip of reality), self-discipline (self-control), and level of maturity that most humans are simply too lazy nor patient and wise enough to ever achieve to any appreciable level to warrant having a weapon. Carry a knife or gun and you'll end up in a gun or knife fight is an old wise addage... not entirely truth but it does raise many points and questions on how escalation of force was approached and used in many deadly encounters.

I am on the fence about defensive weaponry in general... as I do believe that sound self-awareness and strong situational awareness with a calm rational mind would aid/secure most people 99% of the time.

Now there are plenty of occasions/situations that would and do require a weapon and I respect those but it is so damn hard to know where to draw the line and when to implement defensive weaponry... in fact would the individual really be trained enough and ready to respond with said weapon if they had to?

Though I may be completely off the mark as I have to admit I am quite jaded about humanity in general... I guess that's what fifteen wars, conflicts, and emergency responses in a career will do to a man.

Cheers and respects.

Last edited:

LocoMoto

Jul 19, 2015
@ricochet
So much I agree on there in your post, even if I am more towards the freedom to own and use a lot of it, I am for better and for worse a strong believer of humans having the freedom to f*ck up the lives of them and all the others around them, they shouldn't do so but humanity is meh at it's best on that.

Reactions: ricochet

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Classic case of the fuckwits ruin things for everyone else really. Same thing with pitbulls, recreational illicit drugs, alcohol, absurd speed limits on roads, overbearing building codes, etc. A better solution would probably be to cull the stupid, but unless I get an SFF minion, I'm not sure how I'd pull that off (joking of course).

LocoMoto

Jul 19, 2015
Classic case of the fuckwits ruin things for everyone else really. Same thing with pitbulls, recreational illicit drugs, alcohol, absurd speed limits on roads, overbearing building codes, etc. A better solution would probably be to cull the stupid, but unless I get an SFF minion, I'm not sure how I'd pull that off (joking of course).

Ceros_X

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Mar 8, 2016
I was wondering what you were talking about lol.

Always interesting to see the views of people from around the world, good discussion all!

LocoMoto

Jul 19, 2015
Moving away from the politically philosophical talk.

Bullpup precision rifles are some of my SFF enthusiast wet dreams when it comes to guns, the simplicity and formfactor..
The SFF Minigun is cool but mostly tickles my automotive brain actually.

LocoMoto

Jul 19, 2015
I'm considering taking archery courses. I think this could be a good way to be alone with myself.

Archery and climbing would be lovely, refreshing and stress releaving. Gosh, I so need a house far from humans XD

Archery is awesome, been looking into expanding my bow collection, since I only have a beginners recurve bow at the moment. :D

Ceros_X

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Mar 8, 2016
I like bullpups in theory, but in practice most people complain about the trigger pull a lot (the Tavor, for example) because of the long distance between the trigger and the bolt. It is very hard to get anything near a nice precision trigger pull with them.

I've always been a fan of Short Barreled Rifles (SBRs) and also folding stocks/take down rifles:

Ceros_X

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Mar 8, 2016
I'm considering taking archery courses. I think this could be a good way to be alone with myself.

Archery and climbing would be lovely, refreshing and stress releaving. Gosh, I so need a house far from humans XD

Traditional type bows or some sort of modern recurve bows? Archery seems like a great way to get some great upper body strength too lol.

Not a fan of climbing but I love going for long hikes by myself.

LocoMoto

Jul 19, 2015
Very true about the bullpup trigger, the mechanism really needs some added complexity which tends to be a no-no for armed forces meaning a lot of commonly available bullpups suffer, with upgrade kits still being limited by the original design.
But then again, precision rifles, or more like precision bolt action rifles does make it easier overall since you don't have to account for quite as much as with an automatic rifle!

SBR, that feels so american having to classify something as such, lol :D
But yeah, they're all nice, everything has a use..
_
Compound bows are good if you wanna be a bit easier on your body, the draw is about as heavy but after that you can hold it without much resistance at all.

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
Traditional type bows or some sort of modern recurve bows? Archery seems like a great way to get some great upper body strength too lol.

Not a fan of climbing but I love going for long hikes by myself.

Ideally I'd like to try traditional long bows as well as high power recurve ones.

Hiking is great too, just like kayak or mountain bikes. Guess it is an excuse to get away from society lol

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Another few gems of engineering:

Kriss Vector (1500rpm)

Seems like M870.

FN P90 (900rpm)

Such interesting engineering considering the reliability, forces and speed these are subject to.

Last edited:

PNP

Airflow Optimizer
Oct 10, 2015
Possibly the only time WARPACT put out a weapon system more sophisticated than its NATO counterpart:

Also came in 23 mm and 7.62 mm variants.

Because it was gas operated, it eschewed the weight of an external motor, could spin up faster and keep firing in the event of a hydraulic or main power system failure. But like most things the Soviets built, it was at least as deadly to its user as to the target.

MiG-27s using it could not fly closer than 200 meters to the impact area since there was a chance they could be damaged by the exploding shells. And that's IF they weren't shaken apart by the gun's tremendous recoil.

Reactions: Phuncz and Ceros_X