Old School SFF

Revenant

Christopher Moine - Senior Editor SFF.N
Original poster
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
Anyone else have some old school SFF machines?

So my other computer hobby is collecting a few machines from my favorite era- mid 90s. Every once in a while I can combine my SFF hobby with the retro when I find what was considered “small” back then.

Check out my latest pick up. Hardly SFF by today’s standard, this Compaq was tiny for its time.

Last edited:

Arboreal

King of Cable Management
Silver Supporter
Oct 11, 2015
Love that first Compaq! I've had a couple of older Shuttle PCs and

I am currently running a modified Packard Bell Imedia s775 ITX machine. Not so old school, but still SFF at about 16L

The PSU looks like SFX, but the fan is in a different place, so not much ventilation...

1588758079470.png

Reactions: Phuncz

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
My first delve into SFF after having obsenely huge cases was a Shuttle SG33G5:

This was quite the journey into SFF as 3,5" HDD and 5,25" ODD were still the standard back then in the Core 2 Quad era.

Reactions: AlexTSG

jØrd

S̳C̳S̳I̳ ̳f̳o̳r̳ ̳l̳i̳f̳e̳
sudocide.dev
SFFn Staff
Gold Supporter
LOSIAS
Jul 19, 2015
Via PicoITX board. Sadly it has long since Died, but it hails from a time when IDE was still current
pico_itx.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Phuncz and rfarmer

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
Does an HP 95LX count ? It runs DOS and sports a NEC V20 CPU (an Intel 8088 clone).

Got mine for free at work, was about to be throw to the garbage. Saved it from destruction, along its PCMCIA static memory expansion.

(Not my pic)

Also have this Apple M0110 60% keyboard from 1984, that I converted to USB and use as my daily driver.

And my last entry, those beautiful JAN 6418 subminiature vaccum tubes, with my EL34 for size comparison.

Last edited:
Reactions: jØrd

AlexTSG

Master of Cramming
Jun 17, 2018
www.youtube.com
That HP 95LX reminds me of an HP Jornada 720 I used to have. It ran Windows and I remember using it quite a bit for taking notes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jornada_(PDA)#/media/File:HP_Jornada_720.JPG

My first proper SFF was an Shuttle XPC with a matching backpack to haul it around.

Anyone else have some old school SFF machines?

So my other computer hobby is collecting a few machines from my favorite era- mid 90s. Every once in a while I can combine my SFF hobby with the retro when I find what was considered “small” back then.

Check out my latest pick up. Hardly SFF by today’s standard, this Compaq was tiny for its time.

What's the plan for that one? Are you going to restore it to it's former glory?

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
If keyboards are allowed, I remember having something special. I may some day find this keyboard again somewhere in the house:

Folded down it is about the size of an adult hand.