SFF drawer challenge

ZedMurphy

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Mar 16, 2019
Hello. I'm thinking of building my first ever PC, and it has to be a SFF for two reasons. 1) I like a challenge (but not too hard!) and 2) if doing this, it needs to fit in a drawer under our TV (!) which is only 200mm high.

I like the look of the Phanteks Evolv Shift (who doesn't) but I'm worried about cooling particularly as it'll be in a drawer.

So my questions are:
a) Will the Shift be OK in a drawer if liquid cooled (will be 2600 CPU and 570/1660ti/vega 56 GPU)
b) if not, are there any cases that will be OK in a drawer?
c) should I give up on the drawer idea and go for an attractive case that my wife can live with on top of the counter top?

Thanks for any help you can give

princess_daphie

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 26, 2019
when you nebtion it will be in a drawer, do you mean a closed drawer or an open one?

in any case I would suggest modding your media cabinet with some fans at the back, as this will greatly enhance your air flow in the cramped space!

ZedMurphy

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Mar 16, 2019
It's just a normal drawer within an under TV cabinet.

There's space to run any cables out of the back of the drawer, so was thinking if I run the HDMI and power cable with enough slack, the drawer will be able to open and close as usual without the PC moving.

Is this a very bad idea? Not sure fans in the cabinet is going to be possible...

ZedMurphy

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Mar 16, 2019
I think answer c is the right answer then. An attractive case on top of the unit sounds like a safer bet...

Might still be an Evolv Shift! Are there any cases as beautiful but with better cooling?

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
Cooling wise I do not know, but the Cryorig Taku is a gorgeous case..

Reactions: rfarmer

Duality92

Airflow Optimizer
Apr 12, 2018
If you have multiple drawers, you could setup an external radiator and having your hardware in the drawer in basically any case that fits.