Concept SFF ATX case Project - Help with 3D modeling from 2D Sketch

heyitsconan

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Mar 17, 2019
Hey guys,

I built my first computer 2 months ago and recently I have been obsessed with SFF builds.
(*Spending hours watching youtube videos and on pcpartpickers dreaming of what I could build)

I love the concept of a SFF builds but I wanted create a small foot print case for an ATX MOB
I know there are some options out there for this already out there, but it felt like each one of those options was missing something or had something I did not like.

Stuff like:

280MM radiator or multiple radiator options
some cases were to tall, front width too thin, or front to thick
do not like the box look
poor airflow design (based on reviewers)

Update :

So I found Protocase Designer Last night and it gave me a better way to draft my ideas in a 3D space
Here is what I have so far (a real first draft):

Inside measurements:
Height: 373mm
Length: 361mm
width: 148mm
Volume: 19.928644L

Has room for 2x 240 radiators if you don't want to use the last PCI slot on MOB for AIO or Custom Loop

Last edited:

heyitsconan

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Mar 17, 2019
Few things I want to add are:
  • some feet to the bottom of the case for the airflow
  • vents in the front and back
  • Power Supply shroud
  • a back panel for cable routing and ssd mounting
I am still learning how to work with this software but just wanted to see if I was missing anything or if someone had any better ideas?

Gremlin1337

Efficiency Noob
Mar 23, 2019
Cool project. I'm working on something similar currently... small atx case just the way I want it. When you said protocase I thought you were talking about the "PROTOCASE - 15.37L ATX..." on sff forums. I actually have got some ideas from that case too for the one I am working on. That case has lots of angles in the design. Not my cup of tea but great design none the less. I think the round vent holes are my favorite design for the panels. I will have to try protocase designer, looks cool. Keep up the good work!

Reactions: heyitsconan

heyitsconan

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Mar 17, 2019
Cool project. I'm working on something similar currently... small atx case just the way I want it. When you said protocase I thought you were talking about the "PROTOCASE - 15.37L ATX..." on sff forums. I actually have got some ideas from that case too for the one I am working on. That case has lots of angles in the design. Not my cup of tea but great design none the less. I think the round vent holes are my favorite design for the panels. I will have to try protocase designer, looks cool. Keep up the good work!

Thanks for the encouragement!
So I didn't even realize till you mentioned that there is another post with something like this lol, and I totally agree with you on the angles, but I ended up with this cause this is what I can do right now lolol.

Im thinking about contracting the 3D work cause of the learning curve of these CAD software is pretty steep.

What does your design look like?

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
This is pretty much a slightly slimmer version of the cerebus X.

You it will likely increase in width a bit. You need at about 150mm internal width for reference height cards and add a bit more for side panels.

280 support would be a bit difficult also at 148mm. Some radiators are 145mm in width, and accounting for material and bends it would be difficult to maneuver it.

Last edited:
Reactions: heyitsconan