Sff 4k silent build

eperdos

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Jun 23, 2019
Hello,

I'm new to sff world. Curently I own a silent pc built in a huge define r5 case that served me well for the almost last 3 years. It perfectly plays titles like the witcher 3, gta 5, total war 3 kingdoms and such at 1080p/60fps almost silent and cool.

Now, an upgrade is due and I want to pair the new rig to my 4k tv and put my case in the living room. So power must remain at its highest while silence should be there in a small and nice case 5hat should provide the much needed airflow for the performant components.

I would build it around a ryzen 7 3700x and a rtx 2070 super. Also should fit a hdd for storage.

Please advice for what case to choose along with solutions to well build in it (what psu or cooling solutions I should take) for a balanced performance/dimensions/silence/cooling build.

I would think at NZXT H200 but I would like even smaller if posible.

Thank you!

HottestVapes

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 13, 2018
NCase is the best balance for size/noise in my opinion, but given this PC will be going in a living room under a TV I think you could easily sacrifice some silence for a smaller case and not even notice the difference. The distance it'll be away from you, along with the speakers should drown out the noise made by the system.

So with that in mind, I still recommend the NCase but you could easily go with something as small as the DAN A4, or any sandwich layout case around that size like the Sliger SM5XX range.

Ganelon

Average Stuffer
Feb 23, 2017
Please advice for what case to choose along with solutions to well build in it (what psu or cooling solutions I should take) for a balanced performance/dimensions/silence/cooling build.

Thank you!

Ignore sancho; that case is incredibly hard to build in and will give you a noisy system.

My recommendations are the Silverstone LD03 and Raijintek Metis Evo. Both offer great airflow configurations.

I just recently built in the LD03 and with a good air cooler (I used a Cryorig H7 Plus) you can easily overclock Ryzen 3. It's also really affordable for an all-tempered-glass case.

The Metis Evo is more spacious, easier to build in, and has better support for things like hard drives. If you need full-size HDDs, it's the best compact case out there right now.

Reactions: ApaucalyptiK

ApaucalyptiK

Caliper Novice
Nov 25, 2019
yeah recommanding something with a flex-ATX PSU (cooled by a 40mm fan) to someone who wants a silent build seems off topic :/

Big fan for low noise, in this regard the Metis Evo is a good choice with its 200mm fan support. That being said, at 23L it´s barely an SFF case... The smallest case i know of who can fit a 200mm fan is the Streacom DA2 (17.5L), but it comes with some hardware restrictions.

eperdos

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Jun 23, 2019
I did some research and it seems I must change a little my plans. Because I don`t really find the case to fit my desire parts. So, I won`t go really far in the "small" direction. Silence and teperature is a bit more important.

I decided I really want a gpu that will be 3 slots and 292+ (even 330) mm long. This is for silence and lowest temps. It is about 2070Super palit gamerock or msi gaming x trio. msi has the edge.

But I must fit this into a case that is 380 mm or less in depth and max. 250 wide (if no ventilation on the laterals). Height is of no importance.

HottestVapes

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 13, 2018
I did some research and it seems I must change a little my plans. Because I don`t really find the case to fit my desire parts. So, I won`t go really far in the "small" direction. Silence and teperature is a bit more important.

I decided I really want a gpu that will be 3 slots and 292+ (even 330) mm long. This is for silence and lowest temps. It is about 2070Super palit gamerock or msi gaming x trio. msi has the edge.

But I must fit this into a case that is 380 mm or less in depth and max. 250 wide (if no ventilation on the laterals). Height is of no importance.
Lian Li TU150 maybe? GPU and CPU temps should be fine with the clearance for large air coolers. Not sure on the exact dimensions though.

Wyd4

Cable-Tie Ninja
Oct 21, 2018
Ncase m1 is a solid choice for a silent build.
I was running mine with a GTX1080ti, 8700k, 2 240mm radiators with an sfx psu.

Super quiet, great performance. Was damn heavy though lol.

In fact the only reason I am not using it at the moment is because when I opted for a 2080ti I didnt want to void my warranty and waterblock it.

eperdos

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Jun 23, 2019
Lian li tu150 sounds like a great choice. But a question:

Has 3 slots but on official site it specify gpu up to 2 slots. Would a 3 slots gpu fit inside? With what costs? Regarding cooling maybe?

eperdos

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Jun 23, 2019
Ok. One more question: is there a need to mout 2 slim coolers (15mm)under the gpu, pr simply the air holes will suffice? Or even 15mm won't fit because the 3 slots gpu?

Ganelon

Average Stuffer
Feb 23, 2017
Ok. One more question: is there a need to mout 2 slim coolers (15mm)under the gpu, pr simply the air holes will suffice? Or even 15mm won't fit because the 3 slots gpu?

You don't need the extra fans. The bigger heatsink on the 3-slot card will keep it cool enough. If you want to overclock everything the extra fans might give you a few degrees of headroom but they will make the system louder. I think they should fit, but gpu sag might become an issue.

Again, just go without them.

eperdos

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Jun 23, 2019
ok. All is good. I pretty much made my decisions. I will get my configuration and come back for more feedback.

For now, thank you all for helping!

eperdos

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Jun 23, 2019
This is my build as I thought it be the best:

mITX silent

Any opinions? Could I get better noise/temps chanching components? For example, choosing a 2 slots gpu that is slightly noisier and adding 2 silents fans under gpu and customizing gpu fan curve to be more gentle than default? Maybe this is too much trouble? Advice accordingly.

Thankyou!

Last edited:

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
This is my build as I thought it be the best:

mITX silent

Any opinions? Could I get better noise/temps chanching components? For example, choosing a 2 slots gpu that is slightly noisier and adding 2 silents fans under gpu and customizing gpu fan curve to be more gentle than default? Maybe this is too much trouble? Advice accordingly.

Thankyou!
Your parts list is set to private.

Ganelon

Average Stuffer
Feb 23, 2017
new list

sorry for mistake.

Looks good, but you can probably find faster memory for cheaper. For Ryzen 3rd gen you should really have 3600Mhz or better and Patriot Viper has been really well-priced recently. Just don't use XMP; set the timings manually based on what the sales page tells you its tested timings are.