Power Supply Sf450/600 EOL?

gwertheim

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Nov 27, 2017
Is there any news to suggest that corsair might retire the sf450/600? If so what would they replace it with or what would be the next best thing from another company?

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
I have not heard anything and the CES 2018 did not have Corsair showing anything replacing them.
I myself have been eyeing an SF600 but all local shops have them out of stock for almost 2 months (but there are still some SF450s). I wonder why there is a delay of restocking. Either it is EOL or (more likely) Corsair is planning to release an 'improved' version. I am not in a hurry and so I can wait.
As said above, my research also tells me Silverstone's series is a good alternative.

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
I do not know. But frankly, I think the current SF450/600 are quite good already. The only 2 often complained issues of the SF600 having relatively stiff stock cables and the fan curve being a little too aggressive (ie noisy). So, if you do not need 600W, getting the 450W is a no brainer. And I think the 2 issues are minor enough that if you need to have a PSU now, I would not wait. If not, Silverstone SX650-G is a good choice now.

Reactions: cmyk78

gwertheim

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Nov 27, 2017
I talked to a friend in Germany, he says there are shortage of stock in Germany, Austria and Croatia, thats more than strange to me

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
both the 450/600 look like they are in stock on Amazon at the moment and for a decent price too.
Yes, indeed. Although Corsair PSUs carry international warranty, I will lose local authorized dealer's support. So, as buying locally (when there is stock) and buying from Amazon cost the same and I do not need it urgently, I choose to wait.

Reactions: calvinpp

calvinpp

Caliper Novice
Dec 9, 2017
I don't either but i want to make sure i have one before they sell out

Yeah they're a great set of products (450/600) and probably the default choice for anyone going SFX. There was a post on here recently about Silverstone doing a fanless SFX power supply which should be coming out in Q2 or so this year.

bledha

Airflow Optimizer
Feb 22, 2017
Can confirm they are sporadically in stock here in Europe - I build PCs here in Italy and they sometimes are hard to find although they almost always come back into stock. This would suggest good sales. It is a product line that is doing quite well for them, not exactly sure why they would retire it out of nowhere. Is there a reason for the OP question as to possible EOL? Rumor or something?

Reactions: Phuncz

gwertheim

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Nov 27, 2017
Lack of stock and it is over 2 yrs old, based on those two factors it could suggest a new product coming out soon

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Oct 13, 2016
Good to hear. Any plans for some alternative cable sets for the SF series ? Would be happy to purchase from the source as opposed to Cable Mod etc.

mimoto

Chassis Packer
Apr 11, 2016
Is there is a shortage in Europe at the moment? I was planning to order an SF450 today but all of the retailers I tried were out of stock (so I wondered the same thing about EOL).

calvinpp

Caliper Novice
Dec 9, 2017
I think these are the official option: Corsair CP-8920202 SF Series Premium PSU Cable Kit

I'm going place an order for these pretty soon and at $40 retail, a lot cheaper than custom options. These really should've been the set that was included with the SF series to begin with..

Me too. Stock cables are soooo long
Good to hear. Any plans for some alternative cable sets for the SF series ? Would be happy to purchase from the source as opposed to Cable Mod etc.

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
I think these are the official option: Corsair CP-8920202 SF Series Premium PSU Cable Kit

I'm going place an order for these pretty soon and at $40 retail, a lot cheaper than custom options. These really should've been the set that was included with the SF series to begin with..

Yes, I agree that these should have been included with the PSU as standard.

There are still 2 things to take note. One is, the length of these cables is just the same as the current stock cables, meaning they are likely to be too long. Another is, I reckon the price (US$40) for this cable set is still a little expensive. On one hand, it is cheaper than other custom options. But on the other hand, those other options are run by small 'boutique' shops that, with their low volume and turnover, have to charge higher in order to really make a profit and survive. But, Corsair is a large company. Well, maybe this is why they do not charge as much as the other custom options. But still, $40 is half the price of a SF450 already. It is a little hard to accept that half of the value of a PSU belongs to the cables.

When the time comes for me to get cables for a SF600, I will head to Aliexpress and Taobao to buy cheaper+shorter alternatives.

Reactions: calvinpp