Production SENTRY 2.0: Evolution of console-sized gaming PC case

Mosskovskaia

Trash Compacter
Mar 15, 2019
Haha never mind. I just realised it's the same one as linked a few posts back..
I have seen a video (German YouTube) who tested this riser and it didn’t worked.
PCIe 4.0 is a Little tricky with riser cables. Maybe someday the big manufacturer like fractial, NZXT etc. Will make a working cable that’s affordable. Unless I would be sceptical.
Maybe this is all just a wishful thinking that you get that high performance bump out of 4.0 I mean the SAM mode from amd isn’t even out yet and we break our heads about the risers. Even gamers nexus showed that you don’t really lose performance with a gen 3 riser. Let this Sam mode mature and maybe than we have good 4.0 cables that maybe will give a performance bump

Reactions: riba2233

Airulzat

Cable Smoosher
May 5, 2019
Second this, would be great to have a new page in there.

From my initial look, only EVGA XC3 and GIgabyte Eagle 3070 (but not 3080) fit. Plus the FE of course, but the cooling design is not appropriate there. On the red side only a few AIBs are announced, but the reference 6800 is 2 slot. 6800XT seems to be the sweet spot for value, but that's 2.5 slot, 49.75mm, so a no-go. Hoping Sapphire/XFX/etc will have their designs out soon

I can safely say that the Gigabyte RTX 3070 Eagle graphics card does fit and I'm currently using it.

Airulzat

Cable Smoosher
May 5, 2019
I'm guessing you have the Eagle? The "normal" (this one) looks like it has an oversize shroud... but interestingly the width spec stated on the website is the same. Rather confusing

yes I'm using this one. It has the exact same dimensions that is required for the case. Based on my usage the GPU reaches 1970Mhz with a temp of 77C on average. I'm benchmarking playing The Outer Worlds ultra setting though. After finishing the game then i will test playing Control.

SaperPL

Master of Cramming
DR ZĄBER
Oct 17, 2017
@SaperPL So it looks like the PCI 3.0 riser will ACTUALLY be an issue for someone who wants to go full AMD with a 5000 series CPU and a 6000 series GPU. Without a gen 4.0 riser someone cannot utilize the Smart Access Memory technology and gain the performance boost of building a full AMD system (which I am seriously considering).

It would be massively appreciated If you could provide us with any alternative gen 4.0 risers that would be compatible with the Sentry 2.0. Thank you.

Once again, I'll be repeating myself - wait for actual benchmarks of this smart access tech in games that will actually use it. This is new stuff. It might mean the first games will have negligible gains, it might mean current "pci-e 4.0" risers may glitch out on it, it could mean it'll work flawlessly on pci-e 3.0 (we've barely passed 8 lanes of bandwidth on 3.0 with 2080TI). We'll start thinking about how to tackle it once we will see actual data on it and actual gains. I hope it better be worth it.

This is what this whole thing is about (constant real time scene/content streaming to the GPU)

So wake me up when you'll see games actually doing this in reasonable manner. Note how much RTX actually changed how games look. It might be like this again initially that first games will just barely scratch the surface of what can be done with this tech. That's because most of the people won't have the hardware to run it properly on PCs.

Why is the Sentry's GPU compatibility only 40mm, why the case is 66mm thick? I think it should be triple slot...

That's because in this type of construction you can't have the slot right at the edge of the case so there's space from either side to make a structure holding the case together. You won't make a bend right next to the pci slot hole. Also if you put fans directly next to a punch out perforation like in sentry or a4, essentially most of perforation types, it'll make turbulence and cause noise. Also the case is made for GPUs with reasonable wattage and triple slot cards are not really reasonable wattage cards for SFF cases like this.

3M didn't update the website. The 3M is able to handle PCIe gen4 up to 25gbs "https://www.3m.com.tw/3M/zh_TW/interconnect-tw/resources/TwinAx-gaming-solution/"

Or here: (Page 3) "Target Performance to support PCIe Gen4"

What I don't like here is that the presentation stating *target* PCIe 4.0 compliance is pre PCIe 4.0 release. It's from September 2012, the 4.0 was declared by PCI SIG in November 2011, so that's around the time they started working on it. 3M stating the *target* compliance means they are aiming for this riser to be future-proof, but at that point in time they can't know. The 4.0 spec gets finalised and released in December 2017, meaning whole five years later. Ton of stuff might have changed that 3M didn't know at the point they have made that presentation in 2012. With that said, the 3M is indeed a member of PCI SIG so they had access to the spec as it was developed and most likely took part in development.

My point here is that I'd like to see a spec sheet specifically stating 4.0 compliance that was actually made after 4.0 release and not something marketing-style predictions made for investors years ahead of the release.

Khio

Caliper Novice
Dec 16, 2019
Hello there ! Nice to see the 6800 XT will fit ! But will it be usable ? Does anyone here already tried a 2.5 slot GPU ? How is the noise ?

I really have a bad memory about my C7 cpu cooler ?

Mosskovskaia

Trash Compacter
Mar 15, 2019
With the new amd cpus the 5600x is a no Brainer in my opinion. I mean when you only game this thing rocks and you have the lower thermal output to easily cool it with a nh-l9a. The perfect cpu for this beautiful case. Change my mind!

phinix

Chassis Packer
Feb 1, 2020
I guess RTX 3080 FE won't be good for Sentry?
That second fan on other side would be blocked entirely.
What do you think?

Soul

Chassis Packer
Sep 11, 2020
I guess RTX 3080 FE won't be good for Sentry?
That second fan on other side would be blocked entirely.
What do you think?
No. Even in sandwich style cases where you have virtually no space behind the gpu (same as Sentry) but some fans above or below the card, the gpu will struggles to cool itself.

NeroFX

Chassis Packer
Oct 31, 2020
Guys, what's the best mini atx motherboard out there, or what are the options?
Will the ASUS ROG CROSSHAIR VIII IMPACT even fit? It says its a mini DTX size. It's 8" x 6.7".

I have the aorus pro wifi x570 at the moment. Just not entirely happy with it. Don't want a chipset fan on there preferably.

SaperPL

Master of Cramming
DR ZĄBER
Oct 17, 2017
Guys, what's the best mini atx motherboard out there, or what are the options?
Will the ASUS ROG CROSSHAIR VIII IMPACT even fit? It says its a mini DTX size. It's 8" x 6.7".

I have the aorus pro wifi x570 at the moment. Just not entirely happy with it. Don't want a chipset fan on there preferably.
I would probably go with asrocks's B550. It seems like B550 has improved thermals over X570 since there's no fan on it. Also I assume that asrock has the separate pci-e version switches for m.2 and pci-e slot. I did not test that yet though.

As for mini DTX - that's a no-go in Sentry.

Reactions: NeroFX

NeroFX

Chassis Packer
Oct 31, 2020
I would probably go with asrocks's B550. It seems like B550 has improved thermals over X570 since there's no fan on it. Also I assume that asrock has the separate pci-e version switches for m.2 and pci-e slot. I did not test that yet though.

That was quick, thank you!

NeroFX

Chassis Packer
Oct 31, 2020

Is there an Asus version? If so would you recommend it?

NeroFX

Chassis Packer
Oct 31, 2020
According to a video by Optimum Tech, the Asus x570 i Strix has VRM cooling better than most B550 boards.
So shall I stick with my aorus x570 i pro wifi?
Does VRM temperature have that much of an impact in this case?
I ended up turning core performance boost off which made everything alot cooler.
I was seeing the cpu temp (3700x) drop from 95 degrees to in the 70's when using prime 95.

SaperPL

Master of Cramming
DR ZĄBER
Oct 17, 2017
Does VRM temperature have that much of an impact in this case?
depends on the CPU - for 3700X it shouldn't, for 3950X/5950X definitely.

I ended up turning core performance boost off which made everything alot cooler.
I was seeing the cpu temp (3700x) drop from 95 degrees to in the 70's when using prime 95.

Well, if you've turned off core performance boost then you have essentially turned off turbo and cut off the most performance increase from Zen2.
I tried a lot of different coolers and configs and I've been getting those 95 degrees on zen2 regardless of the board, on both 3600 and 3700X.

It's just the same behaviour as with GPUs that the CPUs now will boost up until they hit the thermal/power draw limits. Can't do much about it unless you have a beefy cooling.
Amd just launched those 3700X marked as 65W TDP with 135W? cooler so most of people who picked those got lower temps than in sff, and those who picked 3600 knew that wraith stealth is bad and replaced those with stuff like Hyper 212.

Reactions: NeroFX