Production SENTRY 2.0: Evolution of console-sized gaming PC case

volopasse

Efficiency Noob
Apr 2, 2018
Since tha launch of the new gpu from both AMD and Nvidia. Will the gpu compatability list be updated.
Second this, would be great to have a new page in there.

From my initial look, only EVGA XC3 and GIgabyte Eagle 3070 (but not 3080) fit. Plus the FE of course, but the cooling design is not appropriate there. On the red side only a few AIBs are announced, but the reference 6800 is 2 slot. 6800XT seems to be the sweet spot for value, but that's 2.5 slot, 49.75mm, so a no-go. Hoping Sapphire/XFX/etc will have their designs out soon

Reactions: Airulzat

tja4430

Trash Compacter
Mar 14, 2020
Finally got my 3080 XC3 Ultra and put it into my Sentry 2.0!

First thing I did is undervolting, and I used what Optimum Tech suggested: 1845mhz at 850mv, card is running great.

I played SOTR for about an hour and graphics card temp stabilized at 79°C, with fan speed at 75% (didn't touch fan curve). Card is now running between 270W and 290W. The fan is so much quieter than my CPU fan (Cryorig C7G with Noctua fan). My CPU (3700X) temp averaged at around 70°C with spikes reaching 80°C.

Overall the fan noise is acceptable, and I can't really hear my GPU fan or PSU (Silverstone SX700-PT) fan because my CPU fan is much louder. One reason why it's so loud could be because it's sitting too close to the panel and there's turbulence.

3080 is a beast, running all my favorite games at speed I can't imagine before. I'm using a 21:9 1440P monitor and I can run Borderlands 3 between 110 and 130 fps with every setting cranked all the way up!

My gaming rig is now 99% complete and all I need is a Zen 3 CPU :D (and maybe a gen 4 riser cable haha).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
10/29/2020 Update:

I couldn't stand the CPU fan noise anymore and switched back to Noctua L9a with 10mm fan shroud. There's a huge difference in noise, and L9a actually keeps CPU cooler than Cryorig C7G by 2-3 degrees! I also found that my GPU runs fine at 1875mhz for 850mv so that's what I've been running it at.

Here's a photo of my build:
What fan shroud is that?

Reactions: evenather

Dax911

Caliper Novice
Dec 25, 2019
The evga xc3 3070 seems to be a good fit for the sentry , probably gonna go for this one , just waiting for some availability . The 3070 ti will probably have a higher tdp when released, i will probably stick to the 3070 non ti.

ChrisWilde

Efficiency Noob
Aug 1, 2020
@SaperPL So it looks like the PCI 3.0 riser will ACTUALLY be an issue for someone who wants to go full AMD with a 5000 series CPU and a 6000 series GPU. Without a gen 4.0 riser someone cannot utilize the Smart Access Memory technology and gain the performance boost of building a full AMD system (which I am seriously considering).

It would be massively appreciated If you could provide us with any alternative gen 4.0 risers that would be compatible with the Sentry 2.0. Thank you.

Reactions: darksable

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
@SaperPL So it looks like the PCI 3.0 riser will ACTUALLY be an issue for someone who wants to go full AMD with a 5000 series CPU and a 6000 series GPU. Without a gen 4.0 riser someone cannot utilize the Smart Access Memory technology and gain the performance boost of building a full AMD system (which I am seriously considering).

It would be massively appreciated If you could provide us with any alternative gen 4.0 risers that would be compatible with the Sentry 2.0. Thank you.

Why do you think that, nobody said that SAM requires gen4. We have to wait for the confirmation, but it is not bamdwith dependant, it is just a different way of cpu and gpu communicating.

Reactions: emakar

ChrisWilde

Efficiency Noob
Aug 1, 2020
Why do you think that, nobody said that SAM requires gen4. We have to wait for the confirmation, but it is not bamdwith dependant, it is just a different way of cpu and gpu communicating.

There.

melonfresh

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Nov 5, 2020
Hey, long time lurker, first time poster! I love my Sentry 2.0.. however..

I'd love a PCIE 4.0 riser, if only for the fact it gets old swapping out my 5700XT for my R5 240 every time I push my Aorus B550I too hard when I'm memory overclocking lol

Having the 5700XT in there when I reset my CMOS makes the BIOS very hard to enter into, it just sits on a black screen unless I do some voodoo key combinations.. and when I do eventually get it right, the BIOS is incredibly unresponsive and runs at 1fps lol. Using the R5 240 to set PCIE 3.0 is just a chore but it works heh

With AMD's new SAM tech though, there is a real reason to get a properly working 4.0 riser..

OctanMan

Case Bender
New User
Nov 7, 2020
Hey, long time lurker, first time poster! I love my Sentry 2.0.. however..

I'd love a PCIE 4.0 riser, if only for the fact it gets old swapping out my 5700XT for my R5 240 every time I push my Aorus B550I too hard when I'm memory overclocking lol

Having the 5700XT in there when I reset my CMOS makes the BIOS very hard to enter into, it just sits on a black screen unless I do some voodoo key combinations.. and when I do eventually get it right, the BIOS is incredibly unresponsive and runs at 1fps lol. Using the R5 240 to set PCIE 3.0 is just a chore but it works heh

With AMD's new SAM tech though, there is a real reason to get a properly working 4.0 riser..

Hey, I am likewise a long time luker, first time poster!

I came here to say exactly this after watching the Hardware Canucks video where they put a RTX 3090 and B550-I into the case and ran into the same PCIe issues with the riser.

I have a 5600X I'd like to pair with a Big Navi GPU in my build (pending reviews) - so a compatible riser is a must for SAM but it looks like - even if you take performance out of the equation - that it would improve usability for all new GPUs.

Mosskovskaia

Trash Compacter
Mar 15, 2019
Hey, I am likewise a long time luker, first time poster!

I came here to say exactly this after watching the Hardware Canucks video where they put a RTX 3090 and B550-I into the case and ran into the same PCIe issues with the riser.

I have a 5600X I'd like to pair with a Big Navi GPU in my build (pending reviews) - so a compatible riser is a must for SAM but it looks like - even if you take performance out of the equation - that it would improve usability for all new GPUs.

I mentioned this PCIe 4.0 Riser above. They claim it works with a RTX 3080 but also say it will loose performance above 50C so I don’t know if this will work in a itx chassis.
Maybe someone can test it, I don’t have anything for PCIe 4.0 so I’m out.

OctanMan

Case Bender
New User
Nov 7, 2020
I mentioned this PCIe 4.0 Riser above. They claim it works with a RTX 3080 but also say it will loose performance above 50C so I don’t know if this will work in a itx chassis.
Maybe someone can test it, I don’t have anything for PCIe 4.0 so I’m out.
Thanks, I had a look at this riser but a recent Amazon review (04/11/20) mentions it isn't actually PCIe 4.0 and you still have to set PCIe 3.0 in the BIOS. So my understanding is it 'fixes' some issues with reporting a GPU's capabilities to a PCIe 4.0 capable board - meaning you avoid the issues melonfresh has with their 5700XT - but that's about it. Likewise, the 50C recommendation doesn't exactly fill me with confidence either. Would like to be proven wrong though.

I am optimistic we will have a solution to this at some point, even if one doesn't exist right now. DAN A4, NZXT H1, Ghost S1 and some Sliger cases are all (relatively) mainstream and will need compatible risers. I imagine Dr Zaber will want it resolved if/when the next round of Sentry's are produced too.

Reactions: melonfresh

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
I am optimistic we will have a solution to this at some point, even if one doesn't exist right now. DAN A4, NZXT H1, Ghost S1 and some Sliger cases are all (relatively) mainstream and will need compatible risers. I imagine Dr Zaber will want it resolved if/when the next round of Sentry's are produced too.
Both the Dan A4 v4.1 and the Ghost S1 Mk3 have PCI 4.0 riser cables.

Mosskovskaia

Trash Compacter
Mar 15, 2019
Both the Dan A4 v4.1 and the Ghost S1 Mk3 have PCI 4.0 riser cables.
Yes they say it in their description but I looked the Riser from the DAN A4 up the 3M™ 8KC3-0726- 0300 and on the 3M Site it says PCIe 3.0 capable with a max of 8gb. I don’t know if this riser is really 4.0 capable because you can’t find information about it if it works

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
Yes they say it in their description but I looked the Riser from the DAN A4 up the 3M™ 8KC3-0726- 0300 and on the 3M Site it says PCIe 3.0 capable with a max of 8gb. I don’t know if this riser is really 4.0 capable because you can’t find information about it if it works
X570-I Strix, 3900X, 5700XT, 3M riser from Dan A4 v4.1 in all of its 16GT/s just for you