Production SENTRY 2.0: Evolution of console-sized gaming PC case

Treshy

Average Stuffer
May 4, 2019
Once again - you don't need pci-e 4.0 riser yet for the GPU. It'll start making sense once the new games streaming a lot of data to the GPU directly from m.2 SSD through pci-e will come out, so this means PS5 and Unreal Engine 5 titles at this point.

Right now it's just 1~3 % difference in performance and buying riser based on this right now is simply bad idea because once those titles come out the riser that states 4.0 compatibility right now might cause issues with the actual reasonable use that is that data streaming in the titles that are not there yet. We are on the bleeding edge for the pci-e 4.0 risers right now and we don't know yet what future proofing actually means.
I know I dont need it for the gpu. but I have to set my pcie speeds to 3.0 in bios so my 5700xt doesnt crash. that also slows down other pcie 4.0 devices in my system to 3.0 speeds. so if I went with pcie 4.0 ssds they would be limited to 3.0 performance because my gpu is on 3.0

Reactions: darksable

SaperPL

Master of Cramming
DR ZĄBER
Oct 17, 2017
Ok, this is a reasonable argument. I didn't know it is being set globally for all pci-e devices/slots. Are you 100% sure it is like this?

For every previous generation boards for intel and amd with multiple pci-e slots and such configuration, I remember it was usually per-slot based config or a switch from a list of configurations mentioning all slots.

I would investigate it further if you don't actually have pci-e 4.0 ssd before making a decision on whether to buy the riser and/or 4.0 ssd.

Treshy

Average Stuffer
May 4, 2019
Ok, this is a reasonable argument. I didn't know it is being set globally for all pci-e devices/slots. Are you 100% sure it is like this?

For every previous generation boards for intel and amd with multiple pci-e slots and such configuration, I remember it was usually per-slot based config or a switch from a list of configurations mentioning all slots.

I would investigate it further if you don't actually have pci-e 4.0 ssd before making a decision on whether to buy the riser and/or 4.0 ssd.
I dont have a 4.0 ssd right now, but in my aorus x570 itx board with the newest bios (F30, ready for ryzen 5000 series) there is only this option regarding pcie slot configuration.

aaaadrian

Caliper Novice
Aug 18, 2020
I dont have a 4.0 ssd right now, but in my aorus x570 itx board with the newest bios (F30, ready for ryzen 5000 series) there is only this option regarding pcie slot configuration.

Hey I have the exact same motherboard and BIOS version and I set this option to "Gen3" in preparation for 30-series card. Your reply made me curious so I benchmarked my SSD with this option set to "Gen3" vs. "Auto".

My SSD is Corsair MP600 1TB, which is a first-gen PCI-E 4.0 SSD. From the test results it's clear that this setting affects speed of NVMe slots as well which is really unfortunate. The performance hit would be greater for those 2nd-gen NVMe SSDs that are much faster (read speed can reach 7000MB/s). Running those in 3.0 speed would be a waste of money.

Here's my benchmark results:
Hopefully there will be more gen4 compatible riser cables coming out.

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
Hey I have the exact same motherboard and BIOS version and I set this option to "Gen3" in preparation for 30-series card. Your reply made me curious so I benchmarked my SSD with this option set to "Gen3" vs. "Auto".

My SSD is Corsair MP600 1TB, which is a first-gen PCI-E 4.0 SSD. From the test results it's clear that this setting affects speed of NVMe slots as well which is really unfortunate. The performance hit would be greater for those 2nd-gen NVMe SSDs that are much faster (read speed can reach 7000MB/s). Running those in 3.0 speed would be a waste of money.

This is very interesting. I have seen this question raised several time and the general consensus was that the PCIe lane speed did not effect the NVMe speed but this is obviously not correct. So now it will actually make sense to have a PCI 4.0 riser.

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018

this is fantastic, thank you for the test!

Mosskovskaia

Trash Compacter
Mar 15, 2019
Those guys claim that their PCI e 4.0 Riser is capable of 4.0 speeds. It says tested with rtx 3080 and 5700xt. The comments suggest it works properly.
The only thing that concerns me is. The riser will only work until 50C degrees properly, if the temperature goes higher than that the speed will reduce... that’s what the description says.
Most of the comments show huge tower cases don’t know if the small space in a sentry will heat it up that much. Someone maybe have to pull the trigger and tell us. Unfortunately I don’t have a pci 4.0 card

Last edited:

SaperPL

Master of Cramming
DR ZĄBER
Oct 17, 2017
Those guys claim that their PCI e 4.0 Riser is capable of 4.0 speeds.

Please fix the link, it doesn't work.

I asked around on reddit to see how it looks like with those pci-e version switches and someone claimed that on Asrock board you can switch everything separately:
The options are all separate. You can even change the chipset link, usually called Promontory. At least on Asrock boards. An easy way to confirm the M.2 is not affected is by running CrystalDiskMark and clicking SEQ1M Q8T1 to test max speed
Obviously reddit being reddit, asking questions got me downvoted to the ground, so people stopped caring quickly and I got only few replies.

First of all, we need confirmation whether this is actually true that on Asrock boards it works. My assumption is that it does and once again Asrock implements everything AMD gives out with AGESA and everyone else tries to idiot proof their bios. Similarly like it was with ECO mode support where only Asrock board has this switch in the bios and others supposedly are switchable from the Ryzen Master but you have to figure out how to set up PBO for it to pop up in Ryzen Master which is simply stupid approach.

Ask around if you see people that have configs that will match the test, to see for which boards this is an issue and for which isn't. From what I can see, we shouldn't look for a riser, but we should ask vendors to implement those switches properly.

bluntwrapped

Cable Smoosher
Apr 21, 2019
Couple of questions folks.

Is anyone using a Cryorig C7 in their sentry? How bearable is the fan turbulence when the case is closed? (Noctua fan)

Can anyone confirm whether the C7 fits the ASUS B550 I board or if it has interference issues like the x570?

Any benefit to mounting a slim 120mm fan on the case above the cooler vs 92mm attached directly to the cooler?

Cheers

Treshy

Average Stuffer
May 4, 2019
Couple of questions folks.

Is anyone using a Cryorig C7 in their sentry? How bearable is the fan turbulence when the case is closed? (Noctua fan)

Can anyone confirm whether the C7 fits the ASUS B550 I board or if it has interference issues like the x570?

Any benefit to mounting a slim 120mm fan on the case above the cooler vs 92mm attached directly to the cooler?

Cheers
I used the C7G with the noctua fan on the asrock x570 itx board. it didnt have enough power to keep my 3800x cool. go with gigabyte board and alpenföhn black ridge if you wanna go air cooled.

Reactions: Dustbunnyck

Dustbunnyck

Caliper Novice
Nov 10, 2019
I used the C7G with the noctua fan on the asrock x570 itx board. it didnt have enough power to keep my 3800x cool. go with gigabyte board and alpenföhn black ridge if you wanna go air cooled.
Black ridge is by far the best cooler that fits and it's worth trying to get a motherboard that will work with it. It kept my 8086k under 80 degrees

bluntwrapped

Cable Smoosher
Apr 21, 2019

Ok thanks for the advice. Are you running the black ridge with the 92mm noctua fan?

bluntwrapped

Cable Smoosher
Apr 21, 2019
no, Im using it with the 120mm slim noctua fan with vlp memory. I also had to remove the vrm fan, but it hasnt been a problem at all so far. the 92mm fan should also work though.

Do you know if there’s enough clearance for a 92mm without removing the VRM fan?

Idle2824

Average Stuffer
Apr 26, 2018
Do you know if there’s enough clearance for a 92mm without removing the VRM fan?

I assume you mean the chipset/nvme heatsink+fan for the Aorus X570 board.

The answer is: sort of. You'll need to unscrew and offset the cpu fan, as it gets in the way of the chipset fan/cooler in its default position.

I would say it's probably not worth the hassle of using the black ridge unless you're willing to use vlp ram and a 120 mm fan. Without the bigger fan, it doesn't really outperform other coolers that have much fewer compatibility issues.

I would also suggest the B550 over the X570 one, since there isn't a chipset fan to worry about (and it won't get as hot), though you should confirm that the Aorus B550 is compatible with the black ridge etc. as I don't have one myself.

aaaadrian

Caliper Novice
Aug 18, 2020
Finally got my 3080 XC3 Ultra and put it into my Sentry 2.0!

First thing I did is undervolting, and I used what Optimum Tech suggested: 1845mhz at 850mv, card is running great.

I played SOTR for about an hour and graphics card temp stabilized at 79°C, with fan speed at 75% (didn't touch fan curve). Card is now running between 270W and 290W. The fan is so much quieter than my CPU fan (Cryorig C7G with Noctua fan). My CPU (3700X) temp averaged at around 70°C with spikes reaching 80°C.

Overall the fan noise is acceptable, and I can't really hear my GPU fan or PSU (Silverstone SX700-PT) fan because my CPU fan is much louder. One reason why it's so loud could be because it's sitting too close to the panel and there's turbulence.

3080 is a beast, running all my favorite games at speed I can't imagine before. I'm using a 21:9 1440P monitor and I can run Borderlands 3 between 110 and 130 fps with every setting cranked all the way up!

My gaming rig is now 99% complete and all I need is a Zen 3 CPU :D (and maybe a gen 4 riser cable haha).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
10/29/2020 Update:

I couldn't stand the CPU fan noise anymore and switched back to Noctua L9a with 10mm fan shroud. There's a huge difference in noise, and L9a actually keeps CPU cooler than Cryorig C7G by 2-3 degrees! I also found that my GPU runs fine at 1875mhz for 850mv so that's what I've been running it at.

Here's a photo of my build:

Last edited:

cpt.bubbles

Cable Smoosher
Oct 18, 2020

This is interesting. I too am using PCIE 3 setting on the bios in prep for a 3000 series graphics card, but on an MSI B550I motherboard. Just tested SEQ1M Q8T1 on CDM for my Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB and it seems to show 5000Mb/s sequential read just fine.

NeroFX

Chassis Packer
Oct 31, 2020
This is interesting. I too am using PCIE 3 setting on the bios in prep for a 3000 series graphics card, but on an MSI B550I motherboard. Just tested SEQ1M Q8T1 on CDM for my Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB and it seems to show 5000Mb/s sequential read just fine.

Hi Guys, I just made an account here and it just so happens I've thought about the PCIE riser speed issue recently.
I did actually use crystal Disk Mark before (I just get the blue screen of death now though, but that's a separate issue), and I've got a read speed of just over 3000 mbs.
I changed the PCIE Slot Configuration from "gen3" to "auto" ( I have the aorus i pro wifi x570) and now the read speed is just over 5000 mbs. The write speed hasn't changed though, it was just over 900 mbs on both settings. So is this sorted now? Is the write speed as it should be?

I can't screen shot it as I've said, I get the BSOD every time now, regardless of "GEN 3" or "auto" settings.
I have the Gigabyte AORUS M.2 PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD btw.

Nice to meet you all!

Kyle