Production SENTRY 2.0: Evolution of console-sized gaming PC case

Brude27

Master of Cramming
Jun 21, 2018
@ZombiPL @SaperPL Any updates to report? You guys are great at keeping us in the loop, so I hesitate to even post this, but I’m excited since we are so close to the finish line! I made the mistake of preparing for the best case scenario shipping timeline, and now all I can do is stare at my pile of stuff going in my Sentry, haha!

SaperPL

Master of Cramming
DR ZĄBER
Oct 17, 2017
@ZombiPL @SaperPL Any updates to report? You guys are great at keeping us in the loop, so I hesitate to even post this, but I’m excited since we are so close to the finish line! I made the mistake of preparing for the best case scenario shipping timeline, and now all I can do is stare at my pile of stuff going in my Sentry, haha!

We'll make an update in the evening.

by the way, check this out:

Brude27

Master of Cramming
Jun 21, 2018
Well, it's not the update I was hoping for, but I'm thankful that @SaperPL and @ZombiPL are transparent about the entire process. It's one of the biggest reasons I committed to backing this case, and I'm thrilled to know that when I finally have my Sentry 2.0 in hand, it's going to be everything I had hoped for. Keep up the good work Zaber team! I hope your manufacturer can make things right, and make things right in a timely fashion, haha!

Reactions: LeandroB

LeandroB

Average Stuffer
Jun 2, 2017
Delays are to be expected. I would be very suprise if we made without any of those. lol
Keep up the good job, mates!

Atremo

Caliper Novice
Mar 3, 2018
Hello Zaber team, Can you tell me the diameter of the rubber feet, i would like to use chromed hifi feet for horizontal use.
Thank You

SaperPL

Master of Cramming
DR ZĄBER
Oct 17, 2017
Hello Zaber team, Can you tell me the diameter of the rubber feet, i would like to use chromed hifi feet for horizontal use.
Thank You

Mounting hole is 8mm but with paint it's slightly smaller, something like 7.8mm. The diameter of the feet itself is 20mm.
Center of the mounting hole is 12mm from the start of the front bend so there's 2mm of distance for 20mm diameter feet from the start of the the front bend.
Theoretically you could use a 24mm diameter feet that would be right at the front bend of the case.

Reactions: LeandroB and Atremo

Atremo

Caliper Novice
Mar 3, 2018
Mounting hole is 8mm but with paint it's slightly smaller, something like 7.8mm. The diameter of the feet itself is 20mm.
Center of the mounting hole is 12mm from the start of the front bend so there's 2mm of distance for 20mm diameter feet from the start of the the front bend.
Theoretically you could use a 24mm diameter feet that would be right at the front bend of the case.

Many thx for quick respons, going to order my aluminium feet right away \o/ (Dynavox 20x10mm)

Last edited:

SaperPL

Master of Cramming
DR ZĄBER
Oct 17, 2017
So guys, any1 think we can shove the new Sapphire NITRO+ RX 5700 XT in the case? its only 49mm thick. :D

This one? https://www.sapphiretech.com/en/consumer/nitro-radeon-rx-5700-xt-8g-gddr6

2.5 slot, ATX Dimension: 306 x 135 x 49 (mm)

It is too long by 1 mm since we are supporting cards up to 305 mm, not sure where it is measured so if that's with the PCI bracket, then it would be within the 305 mm
It is too tall by 5 mm because we are supporting up to 112 + 18 mm so in total 130 mm IF there is a recess for the PEG connector and there is one.
It is too thick - we are supporting 41 mm wide two slot cards, if you go with 49 mm card, it may fit, you may have issues while installing it because there's a 45 degree bent edge that will prevent you from sliding it directly in, but more importantly your fan blades will be so close to the perforation they'll scratch themselves against it and/or the turbulence because of being so close to it will make it run loud as hell.

Sorry for not adding this card to the list, but Sapphire's website is weirdly organised right now and I didn't notice there's a nitro 5700XT when updating this lineup.

Reactions: John Grimm

SaperPL

Master of Cramming
DR ZĄBER
Oct 17, 2017
Is the Demcifilter kit still compatible? It was made for 1.0/1.1 I think?
It will fit sincelayout-wise the case didn't change much, but note that since vents are wider in places, the filters for 1.1 will slightly but still block off some of the vent edges by the magnet area.
Remember that filters will significantly decrease the airflow, so if you plan on using stuff like 2080TI or 9900K, then think twice whether you actually want to limit your performance with filters.

SaperPL

Master of Cramming
DR ZĄBER
Oct 17, 2017
Filters in this case are a terrible idea. I can't even believe they exist for it lol.
Well, if someone wants to do a HTPC that can handle light gaming and 4K with a 35~45W TDP CPU and a 90~120W TDP GPU, then they might make sense.

The issue is that most of people assume that if you can put something together, it'll work properly, so let's put a 9900K under NH-L9i, some 300W radeon card and add some filters to this mix :D

Reactions: Brude27 and Nanook

HetBalderdier

Chassis Packer
Aug 1, 2017
Filters in this case are a terrible idea. I can't even believe they exist for it lol.

Well, if someone wants to do a HTPC that can handle light gaming and 4K with a 35~45W TDP CPU and a 90~120W TDP GPU, then they might make sense.

The issue is that most of people assume that if you can put something together, it'll work properly, so let's put a 9900K under NH-L9i, some 300W radeon card and add some filters to this mix :D

Thanks for the advice. I was going to go for a Ryzen 5 3600 cooled with a C7G with a noctua fan and a rtx 2070 Super. That's too strong for the filters?

SaperPL

Master of Cramming
DR ZĄBER
Oct 17, 2017
I was going to go for a Ryzen 5 3600 cooled with a C7G with a noctua fan and a rtx 2070 Super. That's too strong for the filters?

I'm not sure how to treat the tdp of Zen2 CPUs right now as while Zen+ 65W SKUs could be fine, the new turbo approach and random thermal results from CPU to CPU and from board to board are a bit baffling and it feels like Zen2 as of right now might be a silicon lottery dependant for the low profile coolers.

The issue is that Zen2 seems to be turbo boosting till it hits 95c or socket power limits. 3700X (which I have) comes with wraith prism/max which is pretty beefy and even with that the CPU is running higher max temps than the previous generation, and while amd started to use the average temps for this generation, the max temp still drives the fan speed, at least on previous generation boards. I haven't tested the 3600 yet, it comes with a 65W cooler, so hopefully it is somehow tweaked to work okay with it, but it still may be challenging for low profile coolers.

SaperPL

Master of Cramming
DR ZĄBER
Oct 17, 2017
65W TDP of those chips is a bit different than what we've been thinking of for 65W in terms of cooling, so power draw, yeah, it might be 65W but for the cooler it might need something like 125W cooler...

John Grimm

Cable Smoosher
Aug 21, 2019
This one? https://www.sapphiretech.com/en/consumer/nitro-radeon-rx-5700-xt-8g-gddr6

2.5 slot, ATX Dimension: 306 x 135 x 49 (mm)

It is too long by 1 mm since we are supporting cards up to 305 mm, not sure where it is measured so if that's with the PCI bracket, then it would be within the 305 mm
It is too tall by 5 mm because we are supporting up to 112 + 18 mm so in total 130 mm IF there is a recess for the PEG connector and there is one.
It is too thick - we are supporting 41 mm wide two slot cards, if you go with 49 mm card, it may fit, you may have issues while installing it because there's a 45 degree bent edge that will prevent you from sliding it directly in, but more importantly your fan blades will be so close to the perforation they'll scratch themselves against it and/or the turbulence because of being so close to it will make it run loud as hell.

Sorry for not adding this card to the list, but Sapphire's website is weirdly organised right now and I didn't notice there's a nitro 5700XT when updating this lineup.

Thank you for checking and updating the sheet. I guess i'll wait for the PowerColor 2 Fan card to get stocked in my neck of the woods. I have all other parts for the build now. :D