Production SENTRY 2.0: Evolution of console-sized gaming PC case

cbri

Chassis Packer
Aug 28, 2019
Great to know, I'll be targeting a 2070 super for my build, so I'll look at getting a blower model.
Nope, wasn't me! I was planning to build in a Catz C1 until I found this sentry I found for close to original retail (paying $220).

Here's my parts list!

polarium

Trash Compacter
Aug 31, 2019
Great to know, I'll be targeting a 2070 super for my build, so I'll look at getting a blower model.
Nope, wasn't me! I was planning to build in a Catz C1 until I found this sentry I found for close to original retail (paying $220).

Here's my parts list!

I actually don’t recommend your CPU cooler with that CPU, as I think it’ll be way too hot. If you want, you can follow this guy’s build

He’s also using a 2070 super but blower with the LP53 cooler. His temps are amazing, and I think he’s a good reference for your type of build

cbri

Chassis Packer
Aug 28, 2019
If anybody with experience building in a sentry has advice about my planned parts list, let me know!

My friend in Berlin just bought the case for me yesterday!
I'm trying to stay excited about building in it instead of thinking about how much shipping back to the US is going to cost...

polarium

Trash Compacter
Aug 31, 2019
If anybody with experience building in a sentry has advice about my planned parts list, let me know!

My friend in Berlin just bought the case for me yesterday!
I'm trying to stay excited about building in it instead of thinking about how much shipping back to the US is going to cost...

CPU Cooler: C7 Cu is a great cooler, but with the default fans runs super loud. If you can, try to change the fans to a Noctua 92mm fan for quietness while maintaining the same performance.

GPU: Idk if your GPU could perform well in Sentry, it might thermal throttle, but if you want to try do try it. I'm curious to see if it's possible and someone put in a 2080 Ti with it, though his ambient temps were so low. But if you want to play it safe though, I would limit it to a 5700/2060 Super, or at the max 5700XT/2070 super (not recommended by Zaber but I've seen some guys do it). Check page 35 and 36 for Zaber's recommendations

Case: Try not to use magnetic filters, as it will definitely impede cooling by strangling airflow. I know others have tried with success using magnetic filters, and if you want to try it out please report back, I'm also curious if it could work.

Other than that, I think your build is pretty solid. CPU itself is great, MOBO, RAM, PSU, and Storage is also great.

axanar

Minimal Tinkerer
Sep 12, 2019
So which 5700 XT card should i get for sentry 2? I have my eye on Sapphire PULSE 5700XT... Is there a confirmed "GPU that fit" list?

cbri

Chassis Packer
Aug 28, 2019
CPU Cooler: C7 Cu is a great cooler, but with the default fans runs super loud. If you can, try to change the fans to a Noctua 92mm fan for quietness while maintaining the same performance.

GPU: Idk if your GPU could perform well in Sentry, it might thermal throttle, but if you want to try do try it. I'm curious to see if it's possible and someone put in a 2080 Ti with it, though his ambient temps were so low. But if you want to play it safe though, I would limit it to a 5700/2060 Super, or at the max 5700XT/2070 super (not recommended by Zaber but I've seen some guys do it). Check page 35 and 36 for Zaber's recommendations

Case: Try not to use magnetic filters, as it will definitely impede cooling by strangling airflow. I know others have tried with success using magnetic filters, and if you want to try it out please report back, I'm also curious if it could work.

Other than that, I think your build is pretty solid. CPU itself is great, MOBO, RAM, PSU, and Storage is also great.

Once again, really appreciate the reply :)

I was originally targeting a 2070S for this build, but after reading the hardforum thread, it seems most people had better luck with blower models of high TDP cards. Unfortunately the number of blower model 2070S cards that also fit the sentry is really low. I was wading into 2080S price territory trying to find a compatible 2070S, so I figured I'd just make the jump to a 2080S. My current build is 7700/1080Ti, so I'm trying to get as close to that benchmark in terms of gaming performance, while not backing myself into a corner thermal-wise.

I'll have to look into thermals a bit more on 2070S vs 2080S to see if it's indeed worth making the switch.

You mentioned that the mobo looked great, but I've heard a lot of people are having cooling issues with Zen2 when boost kicks in. Do you have firsthand experience that says otherwise? Or perhaps you just don't think it will be an issue? Right now the mobo is my biggest unknown, and it's making me a bit nervous that I can't seem to find a definite answer (possibly due this being somewhat of a silicon lottery thing).

Last edited:

axanar

Minimal Tinkerer
Sep 12, 2019
@Octagoncow - thx for the link
@Thrusher - PowerColor 5700 XT is reference design :-(

Is Asrock 5700 XT Challenger (btw I don't see it spreadsheet) only 5700 XT partner card that will fit?! I don't like this card. I just might use my power tools on some other card and trim down excess plastic so it will fit.

axanar

Minimal Tinkerer
Sep 12, 2019
Hmm it's really easy to confuse all those models...

AXRX 5700 XT 8GBD6-3DH (230mm*111mm*41mm) fits confirmed? I should get this?

AXRX 5700 XT 8GBD6-3DHR/OC (240mm*132mm*41mm) no go?

AXRX 5700 XT 8GBD6-3DHE/OC (300mm*132mm*53mm) no go 3 fan monster!

AXRX 5700 XT 8GBD6-M3DH (270mm*110mm*40mm) - reference

skiphix

Caliper Novice
Jun 25, 2018
I just found this awesome cooling solution for sentry

Anyone tried to use ducting in CPU collers?
No, but I designed a duct / velocity stack for noctua l9 :
Here is another design by someone else, that should do the same job:
These two are 10mm in height, but might cause some trouble depending on ram, cpu position, cabling, installed drives and even mounting screws, so please do your own research before printing one of them.

Last edited:

Thrusher

Caliper Novice
Aug 12, 2019
Thank you for those examples. I have never used 3d printer but I am thinking of buying one and this will be my first project. I am sure i will fail first time but i have to get experience somewhere.

Thrusher

Caliper Novice
Aug 12, 2019
Hmm it's really easy to confuse all those models...

AXRX 5700 XT 8GBD6-3DH (230mm*111mm*41mm) fits confirmed? I should get this?

AXRX 5700 XT 8GBD6-3DHR/OC (240mm*132mm*41mm) no go?

AXRX 5700 XT 8GBD6-3DHE/OC (300mm*132mm*53mm) no go 3 fan monster!

AXRX 5700 XT 8GBD6-M3DH (270mm*110mm*40mm) - reference

I am waiting for test AXRX 5700 XT 8GBD6-3DH (I think only this will fit. exept reference) vs AsRock 5700 XT Challender and then I will buy one of them.

polarium

Trash Compacter
Aug 31, 2019
Once again, really appreciate the reply

I was originally targeting a 2070S for this build, but after reading the hardforum thread, it seems most people had better luck with blower models of high TDP cards. Unfortunately the number of blower model 2070S cards that also fit the sentry is really low. I was wading into 2080S price territory trying to find a compatible 2070S, so I figured I'd just make the jump to a 2080S. My current build is 7700/1080Ti, so I'm trying to get as close to that benchmark in terms of gaming performance, while not backing myself into a corner thermal-wise.

I'll have to look into thermals a bit more on 2070S vs 2080S to see if it's indeed worth making the switch.

You mentioned that the mobo looked great, but I've heard a lot of people are having cooling issues with Zen2 when boost kicks in. Do you have firsthand experience that says otherwise? Or perhaps you just don't think it will be an issue? Right now the mobo is my biggest unknown, and it's making me a bit nervous that I can't seem to find a definite answer (possibly due this being somewhat of a silicon lottery thing).

Mobo wise I think you're fine. It's the second best vrm compared to the MSI one. Also your cpu is not the 3700x so temperatures would be ok (the L9a is strong enough to cool it). For reference I'm using an asrock b450 itx with the noctua and ryzen 3600. I personally have not had firsthand experience but have the products in hand (will test jt out in 2-3 weeks when I get my computer from abroad).

If the 2080 super works I'll be hyped for it hahaha, it'll be amazing.