Production SENTRY 2.0: Evolution of console-sized gaming PC case

polarium

Trash Compacter
Aug 31, 2019
I think the Pulse card will be too large to fit the case (unless you have tried and can confirm the opposite).
other than that you will be fine.

Oh that’s sad, I saw the official card compatibility sheet and the only 5700 ones are the blower style ones

polarium

Trash Compacter
Aug 31, 2019
the asrock challenger model and the powercolor 2 fan card (not the red dragon, the one without an additional name) will fit.

Huh worth a look then, sad though as the red dragon/red devil ones I read cool really well by itself

zustroy

Trash Compacter
Jun 19, 2018
@SaperPL

Will you guys be sending those black that are already assembled these days?

In general, will you wait for all the cases to be assembled, or will you ship as you complete them?

Reactions: Treshy

cbri

Chassis Packer
Aug 28, 2019
Hi all,

A bit off topic as my question is about the Sentry v1.. can anybody speak to their experience with the thermals in v1?
I'm looking to put a 1080ti and an i5 9600k in it but am a bit worried about heat.

I'm new to SFF builds, so any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!!

Reactions: LeandroB

SaperPL

Master of Cramming
DR ZĄBER
Oct 17, 2017
This case looks awesome and like exactly what I would be looking for. Is there ANY way to order one of these at the moment? Or at the least, any hope to buy one at a later date?

Really sad I missed the campaign. Hopefully I'll be able to order a sentry later...

Well, we have brute forced the youtubers with our cases for reviews and showcases and we've been taking orders for around two months, but this didn't help people to miss it.

Right now we are not yet ready to even start planning for the next production run, we need to deliver campaign orders first. Also we're repeating ourselves on this, but we're not a general case making factory, so once we deliver campaign cases, we'll have to focus on other projects and we might not be ready for next production run for some time.

Sooooooooo... it's Septemberrrrrrrr...

We have posted an update today, so go and read it. TL : DR is that while we didn't notice it initially because our subcontractor making the metal bodies for us is a big company, it seems like the delay in funds disbursement caught up to us right now, and we are waiting for body parts to be made and delivered to us.

@SaperPL

Will you guys be sending those black that are already assembled these days?

In general, will you wait for all the cases to be assembled, or will you ship as you complete them?

We will wait for all cases to be assembled and ship it roughly all together - we may split cases between the black and grey ones by a week or something like that to make sure we or DHL won't mix them up. We are planning to send them together because that's our deal with DHL to cut costs of shipments/customs processing.

Hi all,

A bit off topic as my question is about the Sentry v1.. can anybody speak to their experience with the thermals in v1?
I'm looking to put a 1080ti and an i5 9600k in it but am a bit worried about heat.

I'm new to SFF builds, so any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!!

1080 TI was getting pretty hot in Sentry v1 iirc, definitely not recommended if you are going for a horizontal orientation. There were quite a lot of people running it though.

polarium

Trash Compacter
Aug 31, 2019
1080 TI was getting pretty hot in Sentry v1 iirc, definitely not recommended if you are going for a horizontal orientation. There were quite a lot of people running it though.

Also am curious about the 5700 cards in the Sentry v1.1. Do you recommend blower style cards for the v1.1? And if so, would you say the 5700 XT would be able to play around nicely inside it?

But thanks so much for making the Sentry though SaperPL, it allowed my to dip my toes in PC building and I could bring it overseas while moving!

EDIT: E-mailed Dr. Zaber, and they replied that the cooling solution in the Sentry is same for both the 1.1 and 2.0. For Vertical: Open-Air GPU, for Horizontal: Blower-style GPU. The 2.0 has bigger perforations to allow higher TDP cards.

Last edited:

Brude27

Master of Cramming
Jun 21, 2018
We have posted an update today, so go and read it. TL : DR is that while we didn't notice it initially because our subcontractor making the metal bodies for us is a big company, it seems like the delay in funds disbursement caught up to us right now, and we are waiting for body parts to be made and delivered to us.

All good, my dude! I posted that last night for a bit of fun, and was excited to get the update when I woke up in the morning. Most of my custom sleeving supplies arrived today, and the rest should come tomorrow. I am ready, and will eagerly await my Sentry's arrival! Thanks for the updates and great communication as always! :)

nabuca

Efficiency Noob
Jul 2, 2019
Well, we have brute forced the youtubers with our cases for reviews and showcases and we've been taking orders for around two months, but this didn't help people to miss it.

Yeah, I'm just late to this whole SFF thing, never knew about those cases until the window to order a case closed. I'll just wait and see, the sentry is the most attractive case for me.

Treshy

Average Stuffer
May 4, 2019
just ordered the asrock 5700xt challenger, now I have all the parts for my build except for the case, obviously :D

polarium

Trash Compacter
Aug 31, 2019
just ordered the asrock 5700xt challenger, now I have all the parts for my build except for the case, obviously

Hi again Treshy, once you get the GPU could you measure it from PCIe bracket to the top? I'm worried that it won't fit height wise, as Zaber says it's between 130mm - 145mm depending on where the manufacturer measured.

Also, why did you spring for the XT rather than the normal 5700? Do you think the XT would heat the case too much?

Cheers!

Treshy

Average Stuffer
May 4, 2019
Hi again Treshy, once you get the GPU could you measure it from PCIe bracket to the top? I'm worried that it won't fit height wise, as Zaber says it's between 130mm - 145mm depending on where the manufacturer measured.

Also, why did you spring for the XT rather than the normal 5700? Do you think the XT would heat the case too much?

Cheers!

it should fit

I went with the XT because I wanted the fastest card, I think with the vertical finstack in a vertical orientation should run cool enough, especially if I swap the fans for better ones.

Reactions: polarium

polarium

Trash Compacter
Aug 31, 2019

it should fit

I went with the XT because I wanted the fastest card, I think with the vertical finstack in a vertical orientation should run cool enough, especially if I swap the fans for better ones.

Hmm would really want to try this. I’ll see other reviews about the Challenger XT to see temps and if the Sentry could handle it.

Switched to an RTX 2060S as I'm scared of all the drivers/bugs from the 5700/XT.

Last edited:

cbri

Chassis Packer
Aug 28, 2019
Could anybody explain the main differences between the sentry 1.1 and 2.0?

I missed out on both campaigns, but I've tracked down and am about to purchase a Sentry 1.1!

polarium

Trash Compacter
Aug 31, 2019
Could anybody explain the main differences between the sentry 1.1 and 2.0?

I missed out on both campaigns, but I've tracked down and am about to purchase a Sentry 1.1!

Exterior wise it’s pretty similar, the only difference is I think the screws (less screws) and the feet’s rubber are better.

Interior wise however, they rearranged it so one could fit an AIO (water cooling) though at the cost of an itx GPU. They also increased the size of the perforations, so you could fit a higher TDP GPU for better cooling (idk how big of a difference it is, you could e-mail Dr. Zaber to check).

But if you’re using mid-tier/upper mid-tier items, I think you’re absolutely OK with going Sentry 1.1 or 2.0. Just make sure to check the GPU compatibility list in their website before buying a GPU.

cbri

Chassis Packer
Aug 28, 2019
Thanks for the reply @polarium, I really appreciate it.

If my case is #83, does anybody know if that would make it a 1.0, or a 1.1? I've also PMd the Zaber guys, but thought I'd ask :)
And a general question, would blower style GPUs be preferable to fan style in this case?

Can't wait to build in this thing!

Last edited:

polarium

Trash Compacter
Aug 31, 2019
Thanks for the reply @polarium, I really appreciate it.

If my case is #83, does anybody know if that would make it a 1.0, or a 1.1? I've also PMd the Zaber guys, but thought I'd ask
And a general question, would blower style GPUs be preferable to fan style in this case?

Can't wait to build in this thing!
Were you the one who tried to sell the sentry? I remember #80 something hahaha.

But all Sentries are 1.1. 1.0 is the one sent initially for reviewers.

I think it depends on your use case. Officially Dr. Zaber says if you put it vertically open air, but horizontally then blower. However, since the case is designed not for super high GPU TDP (around 180 tdp like someone here mentioned), I think it's applicable to cards up to the rx 5700 or 2060 super. I saw other reviews and they generally have more success with blower cards.

Anything above those cards should be used with a blower as it could make the case recycle hot air. If its not true someone please correct me