Production SENTRY 2.0: Evolution of console-sized gaming PC case

LeandroB

Average Stuffer
Jun 2, 2017
Could you guys tell me how compatible with Sentry 2.0 the ASRock X570 Phantom ITX TB3 is?
I know there ain't many motherboard choices avaible yet, but the current ones are not giving much hype...

Van0

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 29, 2019
also the huge price difference...
the next months will be expensive, 350€ for 3700x, 230€ for the gigabyte itx board and ~600€ for radeon VII... I hope Ill be able to cool all that in the Sentry 2.0 :D

Reviews on 5700X place it only 7% less FPS than the Radeon VII and with the overclocking performance HardwareUnboxed was getting, I would say it would be slightly FASTER than the Radeon VII, once the AIB coolers are released, at a cheaper price and cooler card.

Reactions: riba2233

danger

Average Stuffer
Jan 7, 2017
I am considering finally building out my original sentry with ryzen.

My question is about CPU AIO compatibility. What is the biggest AIO that will fit? The two coolers I'm looking at are the Corsair H80i (120mm 27mm thick rad) with slim Noctua Fan (Noctua NF-A12x15 15mm). This brings total height 42mm. The other option is Corsair H90 (140mm).

LeChuck81

SFF Lingo Aficionado
May 6, 2019
Hey, so the reviews of Zen2/Ryzen 3000 are up.

Though 3700X is catching up to 9900K but still not entirely there yet in games, bare in mind that 3700X is 65W while 9900K will pull like 150W stock when boosting, so take a note on this and think about how are you going to cool the 9900K and how much easier it'll get with 65W of 3700X.
The 3700X seems designed with Sentry/SFF in mind ?
Will you update this spreadsheet with RX 5700/XT when reference cards and custom solutions will be presented and measurement revealed?

Btw, I was wondering why the Sapphire NITRO+ RX 590 is labelled as not compatible. Is it because of the 2.2 slot height?

nph84

Chassis Packer
Jul 14, 2017
Could you guys tell me how compatible with Sentry 2.0 the ASRock X570 Phantom ITX TB3 is?
I know there ain't many motherboard choices avaible yet, but the current ones are not giving much hype...
Seriously, has anyone heard anything about the release date of the Asus x570 mini itx board?

NovaProspekt

Cable Smoosher
May 9, 2019
It appears that the Cryorig C7G will come with fan clips to allow for swapping out a better, quieter fan. However, the Cryorig website does not currently list any detailed dimensions of the heatsink beyond the 47mm total height with stock fan. Does anyone have any experience with this yet if swapping in a 90x90x15 fan will exceed the 47mm height limit? It looks like the graphene coated version might be available from some EU retailers.

Last edited:

SaperPL

Master of Cramming
DR ZĄBER
Oct 17, 2017
From other news, Wendell from Level1Techs checked PCI-E 4.0 compatibility of our riser:

UFD Tech in their news video yesterday was talking about risers crashing on 4.0, so I assume that either no risers support it fully right now and there will be a need for new 4.0 spec for risers or AMD will have to fix it in their AGESA BIOS.

Last edited:

Treshy

Average Stuffer
May 4, 2019
Now that Ive seen how well the 5700 XT overclocks on a good cooler (2150MHz on water, and thats just the limit that you can set in software, not because the card crashes) I think Ill settle for a custom 5700XT and upgrade to a high end navi card once they release the top end. seems like there isnt much reason to go for the Radeon VII anymore, kinda sad about not having 16gb hbm2 though...

Im not sure yet if I should get the 3700x or 3800x, has anyone seen anything regarding temps on a sff cooler like c7g+noctua fan on either of them?

nph84

Chassis Packer
Jul 14, 2017
Now that Ive seen how well the 5700 XT overclocks on a good cooler (2150MHz on water, and thats just the limit that you can set in software, not because the card crashes) I think Ill settle for a custom 5700XT and upgrade to a high end navi card once they release the top end. seems like there isnt much reason to go for the Radeon VII anymore, kinda sad about not having 16gb hbm2 though...

Im not sure yet if I should get the 3700x or 3800x, has anyone seen anything regarding temps on a sff cooler like c7g+noctua fan on either of them?
I'm curious of the same thing. Hope to see some temps on a 3900x in this case. 3700x should be a lock, temperature wise.

Brude27

Master of Cramming
Jun 21, 2018
That video was such a tease! I was hoping for some performance and thermal results... I guess I'll have to eagerly await the follow up video.

I do have a question after watching it, though... @SaperPL @ZombiPL Have you tested/would you recommend making the case the heat sink for the back M.2 like Wendell suggested? I found the suggestion to be interesting, but not sure how it would work in practice on an all steel construction.

Reactions: LeandroB

SaperPL

Master of Cramming
DR ZĄBER
Oct 17, 2017
We didn't test this, but I believe someone who had 1.1 did it and reported some reasonable temperature drop on the nvme drive under the case, although this requires quite a thick thermal pad - the M.2 takes reserves about 5.2mm under the motherboard but obviously the drive doesn't come right to the edge of this space and we have 8mm tall standoffs so you need to cover more than 3mm of space with the thermal pad or more than 2mm depending on the location of the M.2, in both cases this is a pretty thick thermal pad we're talking about.

Brude27

Master of Cramming
Jun 21, 2018
Very interesting... Then I imagine putting a copper/aluminum spacer between two sheets of normal thermal pads would transfer the heat well, and would eliminate the need for the super thick single pad. I'll probably give that a go since I try to avoid SATA cables like the plague after switching to M.2 only SSDs in my system.

Reactions: LeandroB