Sanity Check for Newbie's first port to sff case

penghutw

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Nov 23, 2018
I currently have my system housed in a Corsair 280x "matx" case.

It's fantastic, pretty and goes on sale relatively often. I'd recommend it; fact of the matter is I want to port my build over to a "sff" case to save some desk space and not have to haul around a giant cube everywhere I go.

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/jXD9D2
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/jXD9D2/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor ($0.00)
CPU Cooler: Scythe - Big Shuriken 3 50.79 CFM CPU Cooler ($44.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock - B450 GAMING-ITX/AC Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard ($0.00)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($0.00)
Storage: Silicon Power - 256 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($0.00)
Storage: Silicon Power - A55 512 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($0.00)
Video Card: PowerColor - Radeon RX VEGA 56 8 GB Red Dragon Video Card ($0.00)
Case: Silverstone - RVZ03B Mini ITX Desktop Case ($120.54 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($0.00)
Case Fan: Corsair - SP120 RGB High Performance 52 CFM 120mm Fan ($0.00)
Total: $165.43
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-03-22 16:11 EDT-0400

I like the design and layout of Node202 and the Sentry cases but I don't they fit my GPU and I think the shoebox cases are overplayed.

I don't think the RVZ03 is too popular a case here as it's (I think) on the larger side of things.

So aside from sanity check (does everything fit inside the case) I do have a few questions:

1. Is the cooler I chose sufficient to cool my 2600? (ideally I'd like to be able to keep my OC which is 4.2 all cores @1.35v; if not I'd like to be able to hit 4.0 all cores @ slightly lower voltages )

2. Do my Corsair SP120mm fans fit without causing clearance issues?

3. Is the HDD bay removable? I only use SSDs/ external HDD and have 2 in my current build, so the HDD bays are useless to me.

Any anecdotal relevant to this case is highly helpful, or suggestions for a different case that follows the slim/console like build would be appreciated.

Last edited:

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
The Big Shuriken 3 was just recently released so there is a good chance no one on this forum has tested one. I do own a Big Shuriken 2 and it is cooling my delidded 8700k very well, I would assume the 3 will be even better. If you look at the manual for the RVZ03 you will see the entire SSD/HDD bracket is removable. Don't own the case so can't help otherwise.

Reactions: penghutw

penghutw

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Nov 23, 2018
The Big Shuriken 3 was just recently released so there is a good chance no one on this forum has tested one. I do own a Big Shuriken 2 and it is cooling my delidded 8700k very well, I would assume the 3 will be even better. If you look at the manual for the RVZ03 you will see the entire SSD/HDD bracket is removable. Don't own the case so can't help otherwise.

Thanks.

This is super helpful, I did some research I just wanted to have it verified by some one other than me.

Appreciate it!

dfrgu

Trash Compacter
Mar 11, 2019
One thing that you have to consider is the length of your PSU. Although RVZ03 does support ATX PSUs, if the length of the PSU reaches 150mm, you will not be able to plug/unplug the modular cables in the case, and the the clearance will not be large enough to install one of the 2.5 inch drive bay. Your PSU is a 150mm one, so check your cables and make sure they are flexible enough to be bent.

Reactions: penghutw

penghutw

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Nov 23, 2018
One thing that you have to consider is the length of your PSU. Although RVZ03 does support ATX PSUs, if the length of the PSU reaches 150mm, you will not be able to plug/unplug the modular cables in the case, and the the clearance will not be large enough to install one of the 2.5 inch drive bay. Your PSU is a 150mm one, so check your cables and make sure they are flexible enough to be bent.

Thanks, this is what I was looking for.

I'll have to look into that before.