SFF.Network Samsung releases 970 EVO and PRO M.2 NVMe SSDs

Today Samsung revealed the new iteration of their well known and top performing PCIe M.2 NVMe SSD lineup, with the 970 series continuing to claim top performance once again. As with the 960 lineup, the new sticks of awesome come in a PRO and EVO variant, once again differentiating in 2-bit and 3-bit MLC flash memory. This results in slightly better theoretical performance for the PRO, although reviews stressing these drives to their limits often reveals more than those single digit percentages say. The larger difference is in double the write endurance for the PRO vs the EVO model, making 1.2 PB (that’s 1,200 TB) written the minimum expected lifetime the drive is rated at.

Read more here.

ChinStrap

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 13, 2017
(Before I knew the 970 series was being released) I have been looking to upgrade my 960Evo (500g) to a 1T model. I have been looking at the HP EX920 and comparing the HP to the new 970 series, i'm not impressed with the samsung models, one bit.

loader963

King of Cable Management
Jan 21, 2017
To be fair, they are a bit faster and a bit cheaper than the older series they are replacing. Still wish they were priced a bit lower but that’s just me being tight lol.

ChinStrap

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 13, 2017
To be fair, they are a bit faster and a bit cheaper than the older series they are replacing. Still wish they were priced a bit lower but that’s just me being tight lol.

I feel it. What i'm the most disappointed in with these drives is the "a bit faster" they are turning out to be.

Look at 950 Pro -> 960 Pro. THAT was an upgrade. 960 Pro -> 970 Pro feels like a refresh.

While reading through a few reviews, many have said the NVMe landscape doesn’t have many (if any) big changes in the next 12 months. The 970 Pro is the best, but not by a margin we as the consumer are used to. HP & WD/Sandisk have products available now that trade blows with the 970 Evo, and all 3 are close enough that the Pro should have a hard time selling if people actually do their homework.

The Samsung warranty is still pretty good though, i'll give them that.

loader963

King of Cable Management
Jan 21, 2017
I think the big problem is that at these speeds they can saturate the x4 pci bandwidth. Personally as just a gamer the sata III speeds were good enough for me, I just want more storage space without the 2.5 drives and wires needed for them. Really my only gripe making my sff build my main rig.

Reactions: MultiDoc and Jello

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
i'm okay with SATA speeds for most if not all general storage and OS purposes, but I'm hoping m.2 on SATA would still hold on. I just bought my last 2.5" SSD from a steep sale. planning to use this instead in the future

bought the 960 EVO recently actually. not quite bummed out to be honest with the minor spec bump