News [Guru3d] 1TB M.2 Samsung SM961 Coming to Market

QinX

Master of Cramming
kees
Mar 2, 2015
And the PCIe 3.0 x4 limit has been reached. PCIe 4.0 is going to be here soon I hope.

At this point you have to wonder, why would you even care with these speeds?
It's the same with GPUs and the crying some people do when it runs at 8x when even 4x doesn't reduce framerates by more than 5%.
I'd rather have insane random read speeds.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Because it's not what we need, it's what's possible. We also don't need PCIe storage or 16GB of RAM but I'm happy those bottlenecks have been moved ahead. There is still a huge gap between RAM and storage, is DDR RAM really the best we can do ? I would guess we can do a lot more if storage also improves a tier. If we went from 600MB/s storage to 6,000MB/s with lower latencies and higher IOps, we lift a major bottleneck that could allow faster RAM to also become useful. Because it would take less time to fill the memory and thus it isn't a problem if there is a 10 times larger use of memory.

I can also notice the PCIe SSD's performance in storage-heavy scenarios like anti-virus scans, update installs and many file operations. Those drastically better performance numbers need to result in something, considering I'm still on NTFS.

The more the limit gets pushed, the more the more common these products become. It's still painful that most consumer PCs sold are still on HDD, because the price on the larger SSDs need to come down, which these 1TB and higher SSDs also have a part in.

|||

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Sep 26, 2015
@Phuncz, I have a feeling you will be an early adopter of an Intel Optane drive then. It seems they are building exactly what you're asking for. I was a somewhat early adopter of SSD's (no X-25M, but I had a Vertex II boot drive in my old computer and I went with a Crucial M4 512GB for my sole laptop and now sole desktop drive), but I'm going to see what the cost/GB is with Optane. In the meanwhile, NVMe PCI-e drives offer excellent performance, but they need to get power consumption under control (it'll happen, the mobile industry will make sure of that).

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
And the PCIe 3.0 x4 limit has been reached. PCIe 4.0 is going to be here soon I hope.
In terms of sequential read speed, sure. There's still plenty of room for improvement in terms of write speed (NAND <-> controller interface bus improvements) and in random read/write speeds and latencies (controller improvements, NAND improvements, and replacements like XPoint).

XPoint/Optane will be interesting. It's going to be too expensive to act as a backing store (like current SSDs) but too slow to act as system RAM, so doesn't really fit in with either aDDR4 or PCIe as interfaces. The effective PCIe 3.0 4x link between the CPU and PCH is going to be a bit of a botleneck too. Ideally, whatever interface Optane uses will be on the CPU die itself (like DDR) to act as a dedicated cache, and avoid the DMI bottleneck.

BirdofPrey

Standards Guru
Sep 3, 2015
While I agree more speed is always nice to have, at this point, I can't say it's a priority. Stuff like backups and virus scans could benefit from more performance, but most everything else is bottlenecked by other concerns.

Some of it is hardware, for instance you have to wait for your motherboard to finish initialization and POST before you can load your OS (and most quick boot options in UEFI just skip steps rather than doing them more quickly), and once your environment is loaded there is a non zero time to initialize a program after it's been loaded into memory. We would probably benefit quite a bit from filesystems being aware of what type of storage they are on and adjusting themselves accordingly, and NTFS is a bit outdated as it is by this point (ignoring speed for a moment, I would like if NTFS and Windows managed multiple volumes more intelligently, be it managing an SSD program drive and HDD file drive or seamlessly accessing remote files; it's past time Windows managed file caching to put most used stuff on the faster storage and kept "remote files" that you use a lot on a local drive as well)

If I had the choice, I'd rather they prioritize improving the capacities for the cost more rapidly than the speed for cost. Super high performance is great for people who run servers and can afford to spend thousands of dollars on them, but it's not so great for the average consumer when SATA SSDs have only just gotten to a reasonable cost point for price conscious consumers (and to add to that point the desktop PC market is shrinking, being devoured by the mobile/tablet market, devices that rely on solid state storage).

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
While I agree more speed is always nice to have, at this point, I can't say it's a priority. Stuff like backups and virus scans could benefit from more performance, but most everything else is bottlenecked by other concerns....

For users that aren't performing demanding workflows, I/O is by far the biggest performance impediment in day-to-day use. By far. It's not even a contest. Such users almost never saturate the compute performance available to them, yet saturate the performance of their storage all the time, whenever they open a collection of photos, wait for a video or game to load, save a large project, copy a directory, reload windows from a restart or hibernation... and this isn't to mention small random reads of tiny files (rather than large contiguous blocks), which happen frequently and gum up runtime performance, yet haven't seen the massive improvements that sequential reads have enjoyed. Those can dramatically increase the amount of time a computer would otherwise need to perform something, and often do. (They're the biggest problem IMO, but I don't want to go off on a tangent so let's save that topic for another day o_O)

This matters profoundly because whenever I/O is a bottleneck, whenever the CPU is ready to do work and the storage hasn't provided the data yet, the instantaneous performance of your computer becomes zero, because it is left to wait and do nothing. Indeed, for many users, even if you could give them an infinitely more powerful processor, it would have almost no tangible impact on performance, because they aren't being slowed down by it anymore - you lifted the ceiling they never hit, and left in place the ceiling they're actually being impacted by since the darn computer can't be fed data fast enough.

I'm not winning Le Mans with a vehicle that can break the sound barrier if it takes me two days to fuel it every fifteen laps. And yet, even with modern storage, that's basically what our computers are doing right now - they're feeding incredibly fast processors incredibly slowly.

Of course, modern SSD's have made the problem less worse, but until storage has an effective performance at or near memory (and until a lot of the architecture surrounding storage is re-thought), it will continue to be the performance bottleneck for a majority of people. Only folks who are constantly saturating compute performance, ironically enough, should be less concerned about storage performance relative to compute. Everyone else should be demanding that storage get a lot faster before processors do, and Intel's investment in things like XPoint are a very public recognition by the company of this current dynamic in today's computers.

Reactions: Soul_Est and Phuncz

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Yup, at work we've found that a $60 dual-core Pentium with an SSD runs faster in terms of performance metrics that most users care about (boot time, app loading time, etc.) than a $350 i7 + HDD.

I think the $/GB for mainstream SSDs is good enough today for most people but the OEMs have been pushing "moar jiggabytes is better" for so long that they don't know how to convince buyers that a 250GB SSD >>> 1000GB HDD.

Edit: Aw yiss, we got a 512GB coming in at work so I'll be able to check it out.

Last edited:

BirdofPrey

Standards Guru
Sep 3, 2015
That's why I think they need to work on price more.
SSDs will be adopted much more readily if they can more easilly replace an HDD entirely. Consumer SSDs are certainly price competitive with HDDs at this point, but only really at lower capacities, over 500GB, the price spikes a fair bit.

Also, I don't think the wasted CPU cycles is that much of a fair metric anymore. Yes, most people have more memory and CPU than they need, but that's because it's cheap to do so; regardless of that though, for a PC user, how much do the wasted CPU cycles account for? In the server or high performance computing space, every CPU cycle lost is bad, but for the user, it doesn't really matter if 100 or 100k cycles have been wasted if both represent a second wasted because they aren't demanding that performance.

So, wasted CPU and memory cycles aside, these faster speeds of these newer SSDs don't account for all that many real world seconds saved, especially when they seem to be prioritizing sequential read access rather than random access of which the latter generally accounts for more I/O.

Additionally, 2 of the examples @PlayfulPhoenix gave (Photos, and documents) are the kind of things that end up on left on an HDD because SSDs are still largely seen as an upgrade next to rather than a replacement for the HDD (eg. keep the OS and most used programs on the SSD, leave the HDD for the bulk storage), and would benefit more from just being put on a SSD in the first place.

Now I am not arguing that these faster SSDs are a bad thing, and they shouldn't focus on them; I'm arguing that it'd have more utility to consumers if a higher amount of that performance were available in affordable, mass storage

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I don't think the wasted CPU cycles is that much of a fair metric anymore. Yes, most people have more memory and CPU than they need, but that's because it's cheap to do so.

My point wasn't that "wasted cycles" are bad for users, it was that making further improvements to CPUs and memory for those users is a bad choice, because you're spending money on performance you know they won't ever notice. It's a waste of resources. Intel could make infinitely better CPUs and start selling them tomorrow, and those users would have almost no perceptible performance improvement from that upgrade because it's the storage they're waiting on.

Comparatively, if you were able to install mass storage that performed like RAM, that would have a monumental impact on performance that would transform almost any interaction into a practically-instantaneous one. In every instance where storage imparted a delay, there would now no longer be one.

I think you misunderstood the point I was trying to make (and perhaps made poorly). This is what you said:

While I agree more speed is always nice to have, at this point, I can't say it's a priority. Stuff like backups and virus scans could benefit from more performance, but most everything else is bottlenecked by other concerns.

My counterpoint is just that this is simply untrue for the majority of users. Most people are bottlenecked by their storage far more substantially than any other component of their system, and you seem to agree with that when you say that most users aren't saturating their memory or CPU performance. So improving storage speed absolutely is a priority, because it's a massive problem! It's the primary bottleneck for the majority of users and tasks now. Improving access speed to stored data is now the only way to meaningfully improve the speed of those things. And, even though something like PCIe flash is far superior to HDDs, that performance delta only scratches the surface of the performance improvements we can realize with storage in general. The opportunity isn't PCIe-like speeds, it's memory-like speeds.

So, wasted CPU and memory cycles aside, these faster speeds of these newer SSDs don't account for all that many real world seconds saved, especially when they seem to be prioritizing sequential read access rather than random access of which the latter generally accounts for more I/O.

That's why I'm saying people should invest in and demand faster storage :p That's why I said this:

Only folks who are constantly saturating compute performance, ironically enough, should be less concerned about storage performance relative to compute. Everyone else should be demanding that storage get a lot faster before processors do, and Intel's investment in things like XPoint are a very public recognition by the company of this current dynamic in today's computers.

The response to "random reads are what need the improvements more" isn't to say "well ok, those aren't so big today so let's give up and throw that money at CPU cycles we won't be using or faster memory that won't make a real difference". It's to demand that storage be faster!

Now I am not arguing that these faster SSDs are a bad thing, and they shouldn't focus on them; I'm arguing that it'd have more utility to consumers if a higher amount of that performance were available in affordable, mass storage

Not necessarily. If you took a single 16GB or 32GB die of XPoint storage (which would provide RAM-like speed), specifically tasked it with caching the data most frequently hit by random reads, and then paired that with the cheapest SATA SSD you could find, you'd probably end up with far superior performance when compared to spending the same amount of money on a PCIe SSD that has 3-5x the performance of that SATA drive.

Just to put some numbers to this: if we say that a cheap SATA SSD costs $0.25/GB, a high-performance PCIe drive costs $0.5/GB, and (for the sake of argument) XPoint ends up costing an insane $7.50/GB - fifteen times more than PCIe flash - look at how much a 1TB solution costs you:

32GB XPoint ($240) + 1TB SATA SSD ($200) = $440

1TB PCIe SSD = $500

Even if XPoint is ludicrously expensive, and even if you have large storage needs, it can be a better perf-per-dollar investment when paired with cheaper/slower storage. So the immediate focus shouldn't be on getting it to price parity with current SSD's, it should be on getting it to the market ASAP.

EDIT: The other thing, too, is that Intel may vary well consider providing a cache of this sort as an option for their board partners to install directly on motherboards, and then provide either dedicated PCIe lanes for that pre-installed die, or a whole new interface. That would neatly resolve any logical interface or other issues/impediments since they could control the entire solution... as well as boost their platform and provide a pretty serious reason for folks to upgrade to a new generation of silicon.

BirdofPrey

Standards Guru
Sep 3, 2015
I was considering it last night, and I definitely think it's high time they started adding a storage cache on the motherboard, though it should probably be attached to the CPU lanes if possible, and if not at least with a decent number of PCIe links. At the moment, I don't see it being something that would work as well on an expansion slot (be it PCIe or M.2) unless it were specifically designed for that purpose since, as mentioned the x4 M.2 is reaching saturation. This is where software needs to step up a bit; file and operating systems aren't currently set up very efficiently for tiered storage, and all the caching solutions are third party ones currently (and on that note, I usually roll my eyes a bit when SSD optimization guides say that turning off the OS caching solution, eg.superfetch, because the SSD is already fast enough), and if OSes could use more of the RAM for disk caching, it might also be a good argument for larger memory pools.

Now if we did have some decent caching behavior going on, then yes, a slower drive with a faster cache would be an excellent solution, but until then, I still think a bit of trickle down is beneficial. Simple solutions are best since it can be so difficult making the more complex ones work, and many don't have the technical knowhow to make them work anyways, and at the moment the simple solution is a single, high capacity SSD of reasonable speed. Caching won't become simple until it's baked into the hardware and software paradigm.

As far as truly high speeds in the future, we're looking at DIMM SSDs. There's not really much way around that if you want the bandwidth to make it work. Again, though, firmware and software will need to adapt.

I agree we should demand faster speeds where our systems are bottlenecked, but it's also worth asking it to to be exorbitantly expensive. There's mid range CPUs, and mid range GPUs, but there don't seem to be nearly as many mid range SSDs with each release, though maybe I'm just not looking hard enough.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Just around the time SSDs became available (32GB-128GB), they were also included on some boards as a cache (Wiki) and it failed because it was still limited by the slow storage most of the time. So while @PlayfulPhoenix 's idea is a valid one at the start of revolutionairy technology, I'd wait for the short while when you can use a fully usable OS drive with XPoint. Between Intel's SSD cache and being able to purchase a 64GB SSD, it wasn't a long wait.

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
I agree with Phuncz, unless Optane is avaiablle at drive sizes large enough to actually install an OS and programs onto it, the performance benefits in practice won't be worth the cost.
XPoint at 'cache capacities' (16GB/32GB) is going to have competition from DRAM unless it can really push the price right down. If I have the choice between a new motherboard and a small Optane drive, or the current motherboard and sticking in 32gb OF DDR4 (~£100) - or 64Gb once non-ECC 32GB DIMs arrive - and using a software RAM drive, the software RAM drive is likely to be both cheaper and dramatically faster than the Optane drive. And with a flexible-size RAM drive, you can use that RAM for normal use too.
But like with SSD caches for HDDs, the problem is going to be the caching algorithm. In real-world testing, SSHDs provide little of the performance benefits promised in workloads not tuned for heterogenous storage setups.

Reactions: Soul_Est and Phuncz