SAMSUNG 960 EVO M.2 Issues

nipsip

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Feb 22, 2018
There is absolutely no problem in externally migrating my OS from an HDD to an SSD or a Samsung 850 EVO M.2. Just plug the SSD into a SATA to USB cable and use AOMEI.

[/url][/IMG]

Different story when it comes to an NVMe M.2 as the 960 is. There is no hardware available, that I have been able to find, that would allow an OS migration. Software yes, hardware no.

Of course, I can save an image of my current boot disk to an external drive, make a bootable thumb drive of the programs recovery suite. Boot from that, and restore from the image to the 960 Evo after it is installed. Seems like the 20th century way.

The Samsung 850 EVO M.2 has a B+M - key and the Samsung 960 EVO has an M-key. This is a real problem for the existing hardware. M-key M.2 do not work in B+M keyed hardware. I would just stay with the 850 but the NVMe is much faster when you are moving big files (raw images) around which I do all the time.

The only hardware I have been able to find is this - https://******/m5xz2e - but it seems ridiculous to pay $105 for this piece of hardware especially for m-keyed M.2's when the B+M-keyed M.2 hardware is $13.

Appreciate any help.

rcodi

SFF Gamer
Aug 5, 2017
Clone the old NVME drive to a SATA drive then clone the SATA drive to the new NVME drive or get a motherboard with two M.2 slots.

nipsip

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Feb 22, 2018
It is for a Hades Canyon which has two M.2 M-key slots, no SATA. I am assuming I can boot from a USB SSD and then clone to the M.2 but still looking for an external NVME reader.

nipsip

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Feb 22, 2018
OK will this work?

My OS resides on a non-Samsung, non-M.2 SSD in my laptop. My desktop died and I had a backup SSD with the current OS. The Hades Canyon has two M-keyed, M.2 NVMe slots. No place for an internal 2.5" SSD.

Can I take my OS which is on a 2.5"non-M.2 SSD and hook it up as an external drive and boot from that drive and then migrate the OS to the NVMe M.2 drive using Samsung Data Migration software?