S4MAX: Brickless S4M w/ 3090 FE and R9 5950x - 800W, 5l, water cooled

Lakimakromedia

Caliper Novice
Mar 21, 2019
Hi, maybe You can help me ;).
I have HP (DPS-800AB-11 A) PSU, 800W - not like petricor ;) just little wider (that PSU in Europe cost almost 250$... This HP cost me 65$)
So, finally I started it without burning [with petricor method ;) ]

A. If I connect pin 2 to ground I have on output 6.7V. If later connect pin 3, PSU starting = 12V and fan spinning (pretty slow but working).

B. Only pin 3, nothing happen, connect also 2 PSU start, disconnect pin 2 and PSU stop.

It mean pin 2 = PS_ON, and pin 3 = PS_KILL right? I don't have to connect some other pins?

Last edited:
Reactions: petricor

Vaderator

Average Stuffer
Bronze Supporter
Aug 7, 2017
Hi All I received my ADT link flat cables (2x displayport, 1x hdmi), and am now able to use the Noctua fan.
It is really efficient with my undervolting to 1845MHZ peak keeping the GPU around 65-67 degrees at 1000 RPM.

The flat right angle connectors stick out further than I thought so here is an image for others to plan on:
The case still magically closes, putting some pressure on the frame of the fan, but the fan still spins without bumping into the flexed fan frame.

I also added an NVME heatsink to my power supply hot spot. It doesn't help that much, but does put some structural stability by having the GPU wedged between the PSU and the PCIE extender/case. I am fine with my 400W draw at the my present undervolt levels.

petricor

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
May 12, 2018
Hi All I received my ADT link flat cables (2x displayport, 1x hdmi), and am now able to use the Noctua fan.
It is really efficient with my undervolting to 1845MHZ peak keeping the GPU around 65-67 degrees at 1000 RPM.

The flat right angle connectors stick out further than I thought so here is an image for others to plan on:
The case still magically closes, putting some pressure on the frame of the fan, but the fan still spins without bumping into the flexed fan frame.

I also added an NVME heatsink to my power supply hot spot. It doesn't help that much, but does put some structural stability by having the GPU wedged between the PSU and the PCIE extender/case. I am fine with my 400W draw at the my present undervolt levels.

Wow - that's amazing progress! I'm still holding by breath for the upcoming Nvidia GPU release (or a fairy delivering one to my doorstep...)
Are you using the build in this orientation? Perhaps consider flipping the Noctua around, and it will work with natural convection (rather than against it) - also reduces the chances of recycling warm air over the case by sucking it back in

Do you have a photo of the rear side? Curious to see where you have placed the display connectors... I intend to cut openings into the motherboard back plate for them...

Last edited:

petricor

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
May 12, 2018
Hi, maybe You can help me ;).
I have HP (DPS-800AB-11 A) PSU, 800W - not like petricor ;) just little wider (that PSU in Europe cost almost 250$... This HP cost me 65$)
So, finally I started it without burning [with petricor method ;) ]

A. If I connect pin 2 to ground I have on output 6.7V. If later connect pin 3, PSU starting = 12V and fan spinning (pretty slow but working).

B. Only pin 3, nothing happen, connect also 2 PSU start, disconnect pin 2 and PSU stop.

It mean pin 2 = PS_ON, and pin 3 = PS_KILL right? I don't have to connect some other pins?

That is exotic behaviour indeed - but for the purpose of connecting it to a PICO your assumption would appear to work - Pin 3 permanently grounded, Pin two used as PS_ON.
I have found this page here.. It indeed appears to be a 12v only PSU designed to be used in multiple instances with a load balancer in between - your Pin 3 appears to be the load signal, and Pin 2 PS_Kill - but your interpretation does the trick for the purpose of powering it up, so interchangeable with an ATX PS_ON.

Lakimakromedia

Caliper Novice
Mar 21, 2019
Unfortunately don't know what I messed up, but when, soldered extra connections, wire like before and start togheter with Pico, PSU gives 13V.
Don't start anymore like before > 6.7 (pin2)12V (pin3), now only 13V (pin3) ;/
No idea, maybe overheat some path/element during soldering or something.... Ech I'm pis...d
I have lower voltage by potentiometer to 12.8V, but worry, to not fry CPU/GPU under load if some protection is fuc..d ...

Ed
I left PSU with connected pin for longer, BCS it seems it like to start, and it started like 2 times for short time, with 7.5V, and fan start increasing speed, and stop.

Somebody met such issue?

Ed.2
This is how it's supose to look.(more or less...)

If therminals would be on back like on rtx30xx, it's possible such PSU put alongside GPU (I did like that without water block).
Than maybe even with some case modifications, put extra rad bellow GPU and squeeze 360 in Node202 XD. So many possibilities with those server + Pico PSU :)

Ps
Next by to xflow is tank for dolomite, not used anymore, so I used it :D (Im working on vessel)

Last edited:

Tonkatsu

Average Stuffer
Jul 18, 2020
Finally went and binged the entire thread from opening post (hadn't quite read it all before), and I must say, I almost fainted a few times. 😵

People complained there weren't quality shows to keep 'em souls feeling alive during the pandemic, no tasty Breaking Bad nor Mr. Robot -tier series.

Wrong! fools missed petricor's build log on sSFn ! It has suspense buildup, drama, sechs, adrenaline, plot twists, cliffhangers...
....and even seasons ! 🤤

*huff* *huff* *huff* seriously, some parts are emotionally intense, in particular to a noob to the hobby like me watching unfold before my eyes some acts similar to what I will have to perform myself later, not on the same crazy advanced level of course*, but the fact that he also gave me ideas I can't unsee... kinda increased the pressure for my own story, and made watching his better.

Can't wait for the next season ! will petricor finally find a soulmate GPU and together form a long-awaited happy S4M household ? was the chipset fever completely cured or are frame drops still threatening the peace ? stay tuned. ^^

* Yet this kind of detailed long running display of advanced building skills but also just genuine rationalization and inventivity, is really eductional even for noobs trying their first build.
Sorry if the following will sound a bit like complaining in the wrong place hence the spoiler, but here's what: during my earliest moments SFF'ing I was thinking it is rather bad in tech communities that more experienced members tend to push noobs to go for solutions and heights that are yet - as it appears to the common newbfolk - too soon and out of reach for them.
BUT, discovering little by little what experienced builders do, makes me regret that more of them didn't come try and convince me to skip on the shy noob trial-and-error material, and instead push me towards some of these more advanced paths without delay, either personally or by linking/pointing towards much more of the right stuff, quantitatively and qualitatively speaking.
Because I realize some day-1 choices to make, like forgetting about air-cooling going straight for liquid, selecting only mobos with M.2 port on the back, swapping fat and flashy gaming board sinks for smaller ones, or receiving simply more sound basic components advice that may appear obvious knowledge to the more educated yet terribly lacking elsewhere on the BS-advice-packed interwebs (advice from SFF builders has its own flair normies ignore and can't pass), could also help noobs rationalize their first build without having to go through too many and long+costly phases of one's initial SFF experience.
I think someone was writing a paper on SSF PC building some time ago, well this is just 2c in his jar from the POV of a noob if that matters, inspired by watching unfold this very incredible thread, which is in every possible way a better thing for everyone to see than whatever happens on discord.

TL;DR I mean maybe recommending noobs start their first run on 'medium' or 'hard' difficulty wouldnt be their thorniest path, maybe it's actually better, maybe sounding counterintuitive but recent experience and reads including this one inspired me to think that going through 'easy' or 'normal' as an SFF noob can be a waste of individual resources before going for the 'real' thing, IMHO, gotta tell people that from boot SFF deserves what fits SFF best. No?

Vaderator

Average Stuffer
Bronze Supporter
Aug 7, 2017
Wow - that's amazing progress! I'm still holding by breath for the upcoming Nvidia GPU release (or a fairy delivering one to my doorstep...)
Are you using the build in this orientation? Perhaps consider flipping the Noctua around, and it will work with natural convection (rather than against it) - also reduces the chances of recycling warm air over the case by sucking it back in

Do you have a photo of the rear side? Curious to see where you have placed the display connectors... I intend to cut openings into the motherboard back plate for them...
Thanks - I hope you get a 3080 TI!

I am using it standing up generally, but if I switch to console mode, I'll take your advice and reorient it.

For the ports, I am using the space next to the pump, because there isn't anywhere else!
I'm getting some brackets laser-cut to hold them in place, hoping I can bend along the perforations.

Lol I also built some fans into the desk to help cool that backplate. Its not cheating because it isn't necessary to function :)

petricor

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
May 12, 2018
Thanks - I hope you get a 3080 TI!

I am using it standing up generally, but if I switch to console mode, I'll take your advice and reorient it.

For the ports, I am using the space next to the pump, because there isn't anywhere else!
I'm getting some brackets laser-cut to hold them in place, hoping I can bend along the perforations.

Lol I also built some fans into the desk to help cool that backplate. Its not cheating because it isn't necessary to function :)
Nice one... what's that antenna?

petricor

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
May 12, 2018
Finally went and binged the entire thread from opening post (hadn't quite read it all before), and I must say, I almost fainted a few times. 😵

People complained there weren't quality shows to keep 'em souls feeling alive during the pandemic, no tasty Breaking Bad nor Mr. Robot -tier series.

Wrong! fools missed petricor's build log on sSFn ! It has suspense buildup, drama, sechs, adrenaline, plot twists, cliffhangers...
....and even seasons ! 🤤

*huff* *huff* *huff* seriously, some parts are emotionally intense, in particular to a noob to the hobby like me watching unfold before my eyes some acts similar to what I will have to perform myself later, not on the same crazy advanced level of course*, but the fact that he also gave me ideas I can't unsee... kinda increased the pressure for my own story, and made watching his better.

Can't wait for the next season ! will petricor finally find a soulmate GPU and together form a long-awaited happy S4M household ? was the chipset fever completely cured or are frame drops still threatening the peace ? stay tuned. ^^

* Yet this kind of detailed long running display of advanced building skills but also just genuine rationalization and inventivity, is really eductional even for noobs trying their first build.
Sorry if the following will sound a bit like complaining in the wrong place hence the spoiler, but here's what: during my earliest moments SFF'ing I was thinking it is rather bad in tech communities that more experienced members tend to push noobs to go for solutions and heights that are yet - as it appears to the common newbfolk - too soon and out of reach for them.
BUT, discovering little by little what experienced builders do, makes me regret that more of them didn't come try and convince me to skip on the shy noob trial-and-error material, and instead push me towards some of these more advanced paths without delay, either personally or by linking/pointing towards much more of the right stuff, quantitatively and qualitatively speaking.
Because I realize some day-1 choices to make, like forgetting about air-cooling going straight for liquid, selecting only mobos with M.2 port on the back, swapping fat and flashy gaming board sinks for smaller ones, or receiving simply more sound basic components advice that may appear obvious knowledge to the more educated yet terribly lacking elsewhere on the BS-advice-packed interwebs (advice from SFF builders has its own flair normies ignore and can't pass), could also help noobs rationalize their first build without having to go through too many and long+costly phases of one's initial SFF experience.
I think someone was writing a paper on SSF PC building some time ago, well this is just 2c in his jar from the POV of a noob if that matters, inspired by watching unfold this very incredible thread, which is in every possible way a better thing for everyone to see than whatever happens on discord.

TL;DR I mean maybe recommending noobs start their first run on 'medium' or 'hard' difficulty wouldnt be their thorniest path, maybe it's actually better, maybe sounding counterintuitive but recent experience and reads including this one inspired me to think that going through 'easy' or 'normal' as an SFF noob can be a waste of individual resources before going for the 'real' thing, IMHO, gotta tell people that from boot SFF deserves what fits SFF best. No?
next episode below!

petricor

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
May 12, 2018
In anticipation of some good news from Taiwan, I have finally sent an order to my preferred prototyping outfit in Shenzen:

1) The non-optional custom bezel for the S4M for this build to eventually become a "job done":

It is an iteration over my previous design for a conduction-based setup with fanless PSUs and convection fins - plus some angled air slots to allow for air ingress directed at the Supermicro PSU's fan intake. Another upside of the angling the slots is that they openings become less visible in elevation.

In section this becomes clearer:

2) my now finalised design for a ultra compact, low-profile and universal 30x0 terminal module for the Corsair HydroX, working with both a 3080 and 3090 FE.

The latter looks fairly plain from the outside...

...and attaches to the Corsair water block whilst avoiding projections above the standoff/ PCB level, which is a requirement for working with a 3090 and its oversize PCB.

On the other side, it is flush to the upper edge of the Corsair Hydro-X plexiglass block...

... not increasing the vertical height of the cooling stack.
All clearances are designed to also accommodate for FESTO G1/8 fittings.
With fittings mounted in lateral direction as shown above, the terminal is 14mm wide.

The blind plugs are sealing holes required to machine the internal geometry, at the same time, they allow for an alternate configuration with swivelling L-fittings:

Internally, key design constraints are: Staying clear of the attachment screws, allowing for a flow cross section in excess of 28.3 mm2 (equivalent of 6mm ID tubing used for the cooling loop), not exceeding the 16.2mm cross section of the Corsair water block, and remaining machinable with a 5 axis lathe:

This part should work both with a 3080 FE - or the TI flavour, should it materialise...

...leaving enough space for full height memory modules...

...or a 3090 FE - albeit with deshrouded but full height RAM (thanks for the dimensions @Vaderator) to make space for the 12-pin power connector...

...which would otherwise clash. It may even be possible to mod a 12-pin plug to just about fit, rather than soldering the power feed onto the GPU directly.

ETA for the parts: About 15 days - until then I hope to have sorted my GPU!

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
In anticipation of some good news from Taiwan, I have finally sent an order to my preferred prototyping outfit in Shenzen:

1) The non-optional custom bezel for the S4M for this build to eventually become a "job done":

2) my now finalised design for a ultra compact, low-profile and universal 30x0 terminal module for the Corsair HydroX, working with both a 3080 and 3090 FE.

Damn, how much did you pay for these 2 custom components?

Lakimakromedia

Caliper Novice
Mar 21, 2019
I'm also curious how much, if it's more convenient for You order from China instead of local workshop.

Maybe I'm missed, what software are You using for modeling?

Vaderator

Average Stuffer
Bronze Supporter
Aug 7, 2017
Nice one... what's that antenna?
Its actually my pig-tail power connector. Aviation connector into the S4, C14 from the wall.

But man I am impressed you were able to create the port adapter via a lathe. With the position of the bolts on the terminal, I thought it was next to impossible to have a side port. Seeing your solution, I am still afraid of having extra ports bc I was having trouble tapping the thread at a perfect 90 degrees.
Is your service going to tap the ports as well?

petricor

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
May 12, 2018
Damn, how much did you pay for these 2 custom components?
The bezel is 180 USD, the terminal 60 - both Aluminum, sandblasted and black anodised finish. The cost is driven predominantly by complexity and machining time- the angled slots in the bezel more than double its price it as requiring a 4/5 axis mill rather than a 3-axis flat bed. My original bezel design was USD 80, back in 2019...

petricor

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
May 12, 2018
I'm also curious how much, if it's more convenient for You order from China instead of local workshop.

Maybe I'm missed, what software are You using for modeling?
For machined parts: Fusion 360, for everything else: Rhino (v7). And yes, in China you typically get it for 40% "western" cost... well, that's when I compared last, the gap may have narrowed a bit in the past two years! And if you're Chinese (not me) and know your way around a negotiation, you'll get if for even less...

Reactions: Lakimakromedia

petricor

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
May 12, 2018
Its actually my pig-tail power connector. Aviation connector into the S4, C14 from the wall.

But man I am impressed you were able to create the port adapter via a lathe. With the position of the bolts on the terminal, I thought it was next to impossible to have a side port. Seeing your solution, I am still afraid of having extra ports bc I was having trouble tapping the thread at a perfect 90 degrees.
Is your service going to tap the ports as well?

They cut the threads - as I go for aluminum, I'd rather not do it myself! Let's see how it comes out - the design relies on <1mm material between cavities in a few locations to make the cross sections required work. The workshop is optimistic and should send me some photos soon...

Bean Nuts

Trash Compacter
Mar 17, 2021
I guess after this you will have to re-route the display and HDMI ports on the card so that you don't have to take apart the build every time you want to play "Minecraft" at 8k.

petricor

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
May 12, 2018
But then he'd need a second 3090 and 5950X! ;)
and so it begins...
I guess after this you will have to re-route the display and HDMI ports on the card so that you don't have to take apart the build every time you want to play "Minecraft" at 8k.
that's assuming I'll ever finish building it!