GPU S4M Graphics Card Selection

PCHIA

Case Bender
Original poster
Aug 9, 2019
Hey Guys,
TL;DR Whats the best graphics card option if my onlu concern is connecting 8 monitors?

Having trouble with this one- building S4M as a mobile stock trading computer. Not a gamer so don't need GPU processing power. My only concern is getting a minimum of 8 monitors connected for charts and simple software (1080p is fine). I'm thinking of going with the GeForce RTX 2060 because I think it will 1) fit with no mods, and 2) with Displayport MST I can use splitters, so if the 3 displayports are 7680 x 4320 @ 60 Hz, I could potential split each one into 4 1080p screens. Just wondering if there is a simpler option? Would prefer to avoid usb monitors/displaylink.

Choidebu

"Banned"
Aug 16, 2017
Cheaper (admittedly bit more involved) option would be to:
  1. Get a bifurcation-ready motherboard.
  2. Get a powered bifurcated riser.
  3. Get two Asus GT1030 single slot with one DP one HDMI.
  4. Find a way to mount them in the case - two single slot gpus are fine - just worried about riser at #2.
  5. Split each DP into 2.
  6. Profit!
Edit: the spec page specifically says 3 monitor max... dunno.. I thought with its max resolution it could've drive 4x 1920x1080 *shrugs*

Last edited:

PCHIA

Case Bender
Original poster
Aug 9, 2019
Cheaper (admittedly bit more involved) option would be to:
  1. Get a bifurcation-ready motherboard.
  2. Get a powered bifurcated riser.
  3. Get two Asus GT1030 single slot with one DP one HDMI.
  4. Find a way to mount them in the case - two single slot gpus are fine - just worried about riser at #2.
  5. Split each DP into 2.
  6. Profit!
Edit: the spec page specifically says 3 monitor max... dunno.. I thought with its max resolution it could've drive 4x 1920x1080 *shrugs*

Thanks for the reply. I was kinda set on a Strix z390-I mobo because I really need the 64GB ram and seems like the best of the ITX selections for that purpose. At 32 my old system would max out during peak times so wanted to pair it with a 9900k for future proofing. My understanding on the cards is that with DP 1.4 and MST, each port is 7680 x 4320 @ 60 H, so I could use one of these () to split into 4 1080p screens. I'm not so worried about the cost, just seems like most GPUs are overkill for what I need

Choidebu

"Banned"
Aug 16, 2017
arent these things like, crazy expensive?
Yeah I didn't really take that into account sorry. Is it really, though? This one costs 69$..

But now that I dig deeper into it, looks like no hard evidence that a 1030 can handle 3, other than what that asus spec page listed.

AMD cards fares better at this use case. Eyefinity FTW baby. Even my RX550 already does 3x 1080p no prob. RX570 should run 6 - 4 with DPs connected to MST hub, other 2 with the rest of the ports (hdmi and dvi most likely)

Last edited:

Choidebu

"Banned"
Aug 16, 2017
My understanding on the cards is that with DP 1.4 and MST, each port is 7680 x 4320 @ 60 H,

I don't think it is that simple. There is a set of maximum resolutions and maximum independent displays in the gpu. MST hubs just splits the stream and bandwidth practically multiplying the physical ports, but it is still, at the end of the day, goes to different monitors.

(I do faintly recall some tech demo long ago, using 4 indentical 1080p displays and be managed as a single 4k display, but... can't be bothered rn)

Using the intel iGPU gives you 2, 3 max depending on your cpu choice. Then 5/6 more from your gpu. That makes it 8. I really have no idea how else to do it in S4M.