S4M brickless build with MSI RTX 2070 Aero ITX

krzysfr

Case Bender
Original poster
New User
Jul 28, 2019
Hello,

I was able to fit an MSI RTX 2070 Aero ITX into an S4M while keeping the HDPLEX 400w AC-DC inside, and without having to open the HDPLEX psu or cut/bend anything. The only "mod" is to remove the PCI brackets from the MSI card and cut out some foam.

The end result is not perfect, but it fits and works well for a first pass! 3D printing some better brackets and replacement plates will probably make it a lot better!

Imgur gallery

Parts:
- Skyreach 4 Mini
- CPU: AMD Ryzen 2700X
- GPU: MSI RTX 2070 Areo ITX 8G
- MB: X470 Fatal1ty ITX
- PSU: HDPLEX 400W AC-DC and DC-DC

Please ignore the ugly multicolor ribbon that comes out of the power button socket... I haven't received it yet, so I had to improvise! :)

By default, the MSI won't fit, because it is about 10mm+ too wide, and it's not fitting in the PCI slots.

I had to remove the PCI brackets from the card, and I had to mount it a bit recessed, and at a slight angle. Overall, the DP and HDMI connector are still easily reachable. I may end up 3D printing new supports and brackets to make it look nicer.

Because I'm using the original power cables that shipped with the HDPLEX, the PCIex power cable (on the lower left of the picture above) are protruding and causing the MSI card to be a bit angled. I tried opening the HDPLEX, but it does not change much. To make it fit I should move the card way to the back of the case. I think I could remove the angle by using slimmer pciex cables. There is a cutout on the GPU where the power connector is that make it easier to route a smaller cable!

I used some foam cutouts to make a template that fits under the MSI RTX 2070 and makes sure that the fans don't touch the bottom, and that it doesn't move. This is a bit janky!

The PCI riser shipped with the S4M has to be coerced a bit, and I must apply some vertical pressure to it so that the card stays horizontal. I tried using a longer PCI riser that I had lying around and it helps a bit. Unfortunately this riser cable was defective and causing black screens in Win10, and since I don't have any other riser cable at hand I had to improvise...

There is still a little bit of space under the sky bracket duo to _maybe_ fit one or two SSDs.

If the S4M was ~10mm longer, it could fit perfectly! /s

Last edited:

R.Heart

Chassis Packer
Jun 19, 2019
I'm running into a similar issue using a 1660 ti mini card from Zotac. In my situation, the card will fit with room to spare.... but the PCI power connector does not.... even with the cover of the AC-DC converter removed. Currently awaiting low-profile cable extensions from this site: https://www.moddiy.com/ I am hoping that with this extension cable I can also put the cover back on the converter, will update in another thread as I may have misled some folks.

I think it's safe to say the S4 was never intended to take the kind of horsepower you're putting in there, and the brickless option was a bonus that came along well after it was developed. But that is pretty sweet that you got it to work, and if you don't mind the card being in there at an off angle, kudos. Me that would drive me nuts. :)

krzysfr

Case Bender
Original poster
New User
Jul 28, 2019
I had to re-use the 2070 super in my main build (NCASE M1), so I replaced it with a Zotax GTX 1660 Super Twin Fan which was a much better fit (ZT-T16620F-10L) with low profile power cable.

A few modifications I did was to replace the m.b with a much better looking Rog Strix B450-I, and upgrade the 92mm cpu fan with a NF-A12x15 PWM chromax.Black.Swap. I had to remove the wifi antenna connectors from the MB that was in the way, but I was able to place the 120mm over the NH-L9a radiator by using the screw holes in the S4's chassis. I had just enough tolerance over the RAM so that it fits nicely, while being held in place by the two scrows near the I/O shield. I haven't been able to test for thermals but the noise level is lower than with the 92mm fan.

Reactions: BorG