S4 MINI Classic (S4M-C)

spintje

Average Stuffer
Feb 16, 2017
the z270i STRIX board has issues with cold boots when your CPU is overclocked. I dont know if that applies to overclocked RAM though. If I were you id just set the RAM to the default XMP its rated at. My 7700k is stock at 4.5GHz and my DDR-4 4000 kit is stock and the 4000MHz XMP, and i have no cold boot issues. If I OC my CPU though, then I will have cold-boot issues. I think the cold-boot issues were related to not enough voltage being sent when your voltages are farther from stock, i dont remember exactly. just google "z270i strix cold-boot issue", you might find something.

Also make sure you update your z270i BIOS. :) Hope this helps.

Cheers for that, but i am actually running the ram at default XMP timings and its still madly unstable, but will boot from time to time. I am wondering if i should just try to set the XMP manually, to see if that is better than the auto setting.

Also i am running the ram together wih a i5 7600K (not oc'ed) and a MSI AERO 1070 (not oc'ed).

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
Cheers for that, but i am actually running the ram at default XMP timings and its still madly unstable, but will boot from time to time. I am wondering if i should just try to set the XMP manually, to see if that is better than the auto setting.

Also i am running the ram together wih a i5 7600K (not oc'ed) and a MSI AERO 1070 (not oc'ed).
Is your CPU overclocked though?

rokabeka

network packet manipulator
Jul 9, 2016
and/or placing the shaved brick above the low profile pcie card(s)?
EDIT: msystems peeked in and most likely there is a need for making the bezel a cooling component, or providing some amount of cool air.

Last edited:

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
I feel bad now about the HDPLEX 300 joke because I wasn't being serious.

The HDPLEX 300 is really big and there is no way it can fit in the S4 MINI with anything useful installed.

@Shaun I've pretty much only used the STRIX board with the 7700k, and I haven't seen the insane temps some users are reporting. It is true that the stupid flashy heatsinks make the CPU run hotter, which is why I now remove them, but even before I started I didn't see the temps some users have.

I haven't quite figured out why. I'm just going to keep using the STRIX and 7700K with the NHl9i until I find a combo that gets hot and loud.

DocH

G4G
Apr 2, 2017

The HDPLEX 300 is really big and there is no way it can fit in the S4 MINI with anything useful installed.

@Shaun I've pretty much only used the STRIX board with the 7700k, and I haven't seen the insane temps some users are reporting. It is true that the stupid flashy heatsinks make the CPU run hotter, which is why I now remove them, but even before I started I didn't see the temps some users have.

I haven't quite figured out why. I'm just going to keep using the STRIX and 7700K with the NHl9i until I find a combo that gets hot and loud.
So you can remove the heatsink altogether and not have issues ?

Reactions: CubanLegend

DocH

G4G
Apr 2, 2017
Removing the heatsinks actually lowers your temperatures. They might be useful for people with tower coolers in ATX cases; I don't know. But with the NHl9i all they do is block airflow and get even hotter from the CPU exhaust.
Interesting. I am fine with my 7700k on prime95 hitting 82-84C with the delid. I will never reach that theoretically but i am curious how much of a decrease you see..

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
The huge design flaw with the heatsinks on the Strix is that it blocks warm air from a downdraft cooler from escaping increasing the amount of stagnant/warm air left around the fins. This effectively lowers the Delta-T of the heatsink, ruining the efficiency of cooling.

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net

Dang, so it was a joke... RIP the 7700k/1080 mini Brickless S4 mini dream. =(

I measured this a few months ago, and even with an overclock, the VRM stayed cool. I attached tiny aluminum heatsinks that do next to nothing, so I'm pretty sure all you need is a bit of airflow which the L9i can provide.
WAIT A SECOND. Are you the guy on the [H]ardOCP forums who did the VRM removal of your z270i and bought those little heatsinks? If so, I think I based my build and decision to do the same and swap out my VRM towers for small heatsinks, on your posts! Small world, eh!?

EM98xXkillerXx

Caliper Novice
Jun 6, 2016
So, looks like I'm making the change to the NH-L9a guys. My C7 randomly just gained 20-30C at idle and overheats, causing it to shutdown, when gaming. I've been using this in my s4 for a little while so I'm a bit confused there... I didnt have enough thermal paste to check it properly but honestly, I'm just done. Hopefully the NH-L9a is the solution.

Also this was with a fan, and I just did test outside the case, so it cant be any of those factors.

Reactions: Biowarejak

Sean Crees

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 1, 2017
Sweet! So by the "side of the S4 Mini" do you guys mean in that kinda empty space on the bottom side near the power button (the side that has no vents) by the majority of CPU 8-pin connectors? Or another spot? I'm excited if this works, I might ACTUALLY go brickless if it's possible to actively cool it. Imagine, 7700k & 1080 Mini, BRICKLESS S4 Mini!

I'm talking about the spot where your GPU is. The Vega Nano is only 160mm long, so as long as you can fit the AC/DC in front of it sideways since its 41mm tall with the casing, it should fit inside the S4 mini..

Reactions: CubanLegend

Big McCann

Efficiency Noob
Jun 21, 2017
Any suggestions on a alternative to the noctua nh-l9a low profile cpu cooler? Something better or the same? I realise noctua are amazing, and Its a great cooler but the colours are not the best.

Siba

Chassis Packer
May 19, 2017
The ones I was reading are comparable are the LP53 and Titan TTC25 or something like that? Unconfirmed though, so I've held off on buying. I also thought I remembered Josh saying he had a new favorite, but I couldn't find it again. I already have an NHL9i and I'm not really super impressed by it. It's somewhat quiet, but really doesn't allow for much else other than that. The cryorig C7 + xt-140 combo also seems somewhat promising

Reactions: Biowarejak

Al Hoff

Average Stuffer
Feb 25, 2017
So I picked up a little meter thing to measure the watts I'm pulling from the wall. I did some simultaneous gpu and cpu benchmarks. Using Heaven and Prime95. As well as played a couple of games.

During simultaneous heavy loads- the gpu 1080ti mini running at 1860MHz-ish OC 100% utilization and with my 6700k with a small OC (5%, lowered it from 15% because I wanted to run a little cooler) using the noctua l9i and at 100% utilization pulled about 435 Watts. Not too bad if you ask me. However. I imagine 450-460 if I was using my 15% OC profile.

I tested Cities Skylines and Ghost Recon Wildlands. I get a lot of coil whine from the 1080ti with cities skylines- to the point where I dump the power slider down to 65% in Precision X. This doesn't really affect the clock speeds a whole lot strangely but what ever is going on I don't get coil whine-- at least I can't hear it. I was pulling roughly 300 watts from the wall in skylines.

With ghost recon wildlands, the GPU was at 100% utilization and at its normal power consumption. CPU wasn't fully utilized but it was still quite a bit. I would say this is a pretty demanding game, but to each their own. I pulled around 350-380 watts from the wall while playing wildlands.

Hope this helps some of you. My GUnique can easily handle the load, but those of you using those dell 330 Watt bricks might have some issues if you're trying to use a 1080ti and cpu with any slight overclock. I could try and set some underclocks and see what I get if anyone is interested.

Reactions: Ionrent

alerteman

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Jul 23, 2017
im looking for 120+hz portable display 12" to 17" inch. anyone here can recommend me or custom make it?
i had seen many 1440p 120hz led screens on ebay, im not sure whether that can be customized.
it would be great to pair it with s4 mini.

EM98xXkillerXx

Caliper Novice
Jun 6, 2016
Any suggestions on a alternative to the noctua nh-l9a low profile cpu cooler? Something better or the same? I realise noctua are amazing, and Its a great cooler but the colours are not the best.
I get my NH-L9a tomorrow, I'll let you know if a fan can be mounted to the s4 side panel and fit, or if I can somehow extend the mounting points to fit a 140 or 120mm fan