S4 MINI Classic (S4M-C)

Master of Cramming
Nov 5, 2016
Btw, I was able to try out my custom backplate for my 1070 mini last night:

It is made out of stainless steel with a black brushed finish. I ask for matte black but they got me this :p I might end up selling this as well.

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Noctua does premium feel extremely well. Most other manufacturers absolutely do not. It's a shame, because when you look at the premium that Noctua commands over their competition that is an awful lot of lost profit. My personal feeling on the matter is that Chinese corporations almost without exception have NO idea how to market or produce their products to capture this essence. It's a real shame.

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
But isn't "chinese manufacturing company + proper marketing" basically what 99% of the mainstream PC peripheral brands are?

I certainly wasn't dissing Chinese manufacturing. China has some of the best manufacturers and engineers in the world--and perhaps even marketing (ASUS certainly knows how to do it).

I think that Noctua and Cryorig both understand the premium mindset and do it very well. I have had problems with Cryorig products but I know they will work it out because they have an eye for detail and quality.

ImperialAlex

Trash Compacter
Sep 2, 2016
@Josh | NFC I certainly didn't read your post as implying that. I was just pointing out that virtually all electronics are made by chinese companies anyway, so if a chinese (i.e. PRC, not Taiwan) OEM company suddenly realized how to do marketing properly they'd be indistinguishable from the current mainstream companies based in Tawain or the US.

Master of Cramming
Nov 5, 2016
@Josh | NFC I certainly didn't read your post as implying that. I was just pointing out that virtually all electronics are made by chinese companies anyway, so if a chinese (i.e. PRC, not Taiwan) OEM company suddenly realized how to do marketing properly they'd be indistinguishable from the current mainstream companies based in Tawain or the US.
Sadly that's why they are OEM :( their marketing skills are really... bad.

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Depends what you consider proper marketing. I mean it's pretty much a given that everything is manufactured in China, but (in my opinion) a lot of the products are not presented particularly well. Using something like Apple and Samsung as gold-standard examples, they often emphasize elegant, simple and well thought-out design across their marketing, employing aesthetically pleasing fonts and colour schemes combined with a "premium" aesthetic to market their products. As a result, they are able to consistently capture a disproportionately large market share while massively overcharging for their products (Apple in particular).

As a relevant example to the opposite, let's take the Thermal Take Engine 27. The product while made of solid aluminum, feels kind of shoddily made when held and from reviews on this site and others seems to be a crappy implementation of th Sandia Cooler. The cooler comes in budget looking and flimsy packaging (cardboard and white blown foam if I recall correctly), has a fairly unappealing logo (although it looks like they've somewhat improved on this) and completely absurd slogan - "CoolALL your life".

Back to the Noctua, if you've ever bought one of their products, it comes in very carefully designed packaging, feels incredibly well made, and really plays the understated aesthetic up incredibly well. Despite their tan and burgundy colour scheme, they continue to be regarded and likely sell as one of the top players in the market, again while charging a significant premium over the competition.

Reactions: ricochet

Zerofool

Caliper Novice
Nov 23, 2015
it needs to be tested inside of a SFF case... this guy did his tests on an OPEN test bench... which is really not representative of the performance a buyer would get when dropping it into their SFF PC.

If someone can bench it inside a SFF case, and it beats the Noctua NH-l9i, then I'll definitely consider buying it and selling my Noctua.

If you consider Dan A4-SFX to be a SFF case, then it's been tested inside of a SFF case ;). Check this thread.

I was wanting to wait for the Asus Z270i to become available before doing my build...

As I mentioned in the linked thread about coolers, The LP53/ITX30 will most likely not work with the Asus Z270I Strix board because of the VRM heatsinks (they look very similar to the ones on the Asus Z170I which I have, and the LP53 doesn't fit). Keep that in mind. However, we won't know for sure until someone tests it anyway ;)

Last edited:

Chongker

Efficiency Noob
Jan 12, 2017
If you consider Dan A4-SFX to be a SFF case, then it's been tested inside of a SFF case. Check this thread.

As I mentioned in the linked thread about coolers, The LP53/ITX30 will most likely not work with the Asus Z270I Strix board because of the VRM heatsinks (they look very similar to the ones on the Asus Z170I which I have, an the LP53 doesn't fit. Keep that in mind. However, we won't know for sure until someone tests it anyway ;)

Dang, that certainly throws a spanner into the works. Studying the available photos of the z270i more closely, I think you're probably right. So options for me would be either to try a different cooler (L9i would be an option, but I'm interested in seeing how well the idcooling one does as well) or possibly try trimming one of the VRM heatsinks (got access to tools to get it done if I go down that route). Or there's the option of using a different board, but the Asus z270i is too appealing for that.

Reactions: Zerofool

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
If you consider Dan A4-SFX to be a SFF case, then it's been tested inside of a SFF case ;). Check this thread.

As I mentioned in the linked thread about coolers, The LP53/ITX30 will most likely not work with the Asus Z270I Strix board because of the VRM heatsinks (they look very similar to the ones on the Asus Z170I which I have, and the LP53 doesn't fit). Keep that in mind. However, we won't know for sure until someone tests it anyway ;)
Interesting temps... but until it's confirmed to fit my motherboard, I'll stick with my NH-L9i and hopefully it fits on top of the ASUS Z270i once it's out and I start my build with it.

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
Any idea on when the asus z270i will be released?
We're hopefully close. In reply to my asking, ASUS-ROG-UK's twitter said it would be Late Jan-Early Feb. So let's hope they're right and it hits retailers in the next 15 days. I'll be sure to post in the z200 series Mobo thread once I see it's out on either Newegg or Amazon. :D

flacman

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 23, 2016
Just purchased a HD-plex 160W and a Dell 330W adapter...will let you guys know how this goes...

@Josh | NFC for reference, my PrecisionX settings are default - base clock @ 1506, boost at 1708. The Superclocked base and boosts are higher, the non-SC mod was suggested by another forum member to replace the SC BIOS with the Gaming BIOS.

Reactions: Josh | NFC

cakePlease

Trash Compacter
Jan 27, 2017
hey @Josh,
Did you happen to consider or explore being able to mount a video card facing up (so the fan is on the same side as the CPU fan)? I only thought of this because ive got an HDplex pci riser, and it has enough slack to allow me to put the pcie plug further away from the mobo.
The one advantage i can see from this is that that it allows all your fans to be one side, thus making it easier to lay the case flat, or against a wall/cabinet.

Something like this...https://www.dropbox.com/s/sh4l4311cspuhyr/IMG_1887.JPG?dl=0

Reactions: Hackersremix

NotungX

Caliper Novice
Nov 3, 2016
For everyone using the HDPLEX 250/300 DC/DC, how do you do so the adapter lays flat against the side? Do you remove the two middle screws from the front bezel?