Discussion Ryzen 5900x high temps

rschill65

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Dec 31, 2019
I recently replaced my 3900x with a 5900x. I have a Cerebus X with a Noctua 14s fan with two 140 fans, just added a 2nd one and didn’t change much. I have two 120s pulling air in from bottom, and one 92 exhaust out the back. 32gb memory, 650w power supply, rtx2060 6gb memory. MSI x570 Unify.

When stable, temps are 45-55, idle or light work. Oddly, when my backup software, EaseUs ToDo Backup, opens up temps jump to 80, fans go on high, then settle down. When backup starts, cpu utilization never goes over 15%. When I do work, with a cabinet design program (type of CAD program), which only uses cpu, not graphics, temps go all over the place, 60s, 70s, and 80 not uncommon. Fans all over the place. Cpu utilization never more than 20%.

I have played with fan curves, currently all fans are at 20%, 40%, 70% for temps reaching 30, 70, 80 degrees C.

I have played with PBO (which is off now) by reducing voltage by up to -.30, but got some blue screens and have not gone back to it.

Current temps and fans are annoying. As I write this temps were 47 then just spiked to 68 and back down to 50 right now.

What should I expect?

Should I be worried? Current behavior makes me nervous. Feel that machine will blow up!!

Is this case/cooling up to the task? (I love the case!)

How can I improve the behavior of this build?

I am just short of rebuilding the pc with a new larger case and using a Noctua 15 that I have from an older build.

Also, just recently, temps have been going over 80 yet my fans for some reason don’t spike. I have hwininfo64 open and they are hovering in the 500-700 range even with these temp spikes. If I reboot, fan behavior as described above resumes. I find this one troubling.

Do you have any recommendations or ideas about the above?

Thank you.

Mashndrow

Caliper Novice
Mar 27, 2022
I worked on 5900x and it was pretty cool. I managed to get all cores 5.0GHz with 360mm rad while testing on Cinebench. While doing that, I got a lot of blue screens because it's hard to stabilize the CPU at higher clock speeds.

My advice for you is to keep playing with PBO or you can use Ryzen Master to underclock the CPU which is more straightforward than anything. You will get blue screens but it shouldn't scare you. You can always try again and find your sweet spot.

Also, keep adjusting your fan speeds. I know how annoying it is to hear your fans ramp up and slow down while opening an app or something. I would recommend you to use this software to play with your fans(https://github.com/rem0o/fancontrol.releases). I discovered it thanks to JayZ's video.

I think there are people here who know a better solution for your problem than what I have for you but I hope I helped you a bit.

Reactions: Mark13 and Phuncz

rschill65

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Dec 31, 2019
I worked on 5900x and it was pretty cool. I managed to get all cores 5.0GHz with 360mm rad while testing on Cinebench. While doing that, I got a lot of blue screens because it's hard to stabilize the CPU at higher clock speeds.

My advice for you is to keep playing with PBO or you can use Ryzen Master to underclock the CPU which is more straightforward than anything. You will get blue screens but it shouldn't scare you. You can always try again and find your sweet spot.

Also, keep adjusting your fan speeds. I know how annoying it is to hear your fans ramp up and slow down while opening an app or something. I would recommend you to use this software to play with your fans(https://github.com/rem0o/fancontrol.releases). I discovered it thanks to JayZ's video.

I think there are people here who know a better solution for your problem than what I have for you but I hope I helped you a bit.
Thank you for your response and ideas. I will make some time to experiment further.

msystems

King of Cable Management
Apr 28, 2017
If you used a paper thin amount of paste, repaste the CPU and use a good amount and see if that fixes it. Some people have reported the IHS being way out of spec. It should be completely flat. The base of the cooler may be slightly convex which is normal. It was not an issue until Ryzen chiplet design offset the heat from the middle to the edge of the die. If the base is overly convex and the IHS isn't flat (also convex) then the edge chiplets dont get cooled well. So if you use the minimum amount of paste, like paper thin application, it wont transfer heat on the edges on Ryzen. This is what happened to me and a repaste reduced the severity of the spikes.

Reactions: Phuncz and rfarmer

rschill65

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Dec 31, 2019
If you used a paper thin amount of paste, repaste the CPU and use a good amount and see if that fixes it. Some people have reported the IHS being way out of spec. It should be completely flat. The base of the cooler may be slightly convex which is normal. It was not an issue until Ryzen chiplet design offset the heat from the middle to the edge of the die. If the base is overly convex and the IHS isn't flat (also convex) then the edge chiplets dont get cooled well. So if you use the minimum amount of paste, like paper thin application, it wont transfer heat on the edges on Ryzen. This is what happened to me and a repaste reduced the severity of the spikes.
Interesting. If I recall I used an X application, i.e., drew an X on the cpu and then attached the cooler. But it may be worth a try to redo it. I'll play with undervolting, and if little result, re-paste the cooler.

Reactions: rfarmer