Dan A4-SFX V4 Processor Overheating

MeowzMcKenzi

What's an ITX?
Original poster
May 10, 2019
Hello!

This is my FIRST PC build ever, and I decided to go with the SFX. I was impressed with the Dan after doing research on cases and builds and this is where it ended me. I started off with the Asetek 92MM 1st Gen Watercooler that was discontinued but due to having stock cables, the cooler would not fit. No matter what I tried, it would not fit. I have since then moved onto Air Cooling, using the Noctau NH-L9I. After getting windows completely set up, downloading hardware, drivers, updates, I picked up monitoring software and began playing with the rig. Temps were doing OK playing World of Warcraft, Bioshock Triology, but man, as soon as I threw on some good old Assassins Creed Odyssey, this machine has been a mess with temps. It went to 100c within 10-12min of playing. I was alt tabbing watching it raise about 2 degrees C every 45seconds-1min.
Since then, I am running my Graphics Card undervolted by -15 in MSI Afterburner, with a max temp setting at 74 C and a power limit of 84.
In the Intel Control Application, I have my CPU undervolted by .105, anything more causes crashing. How were my temps staying so high? A Stress test using PRIME95 would raise the temps to 100c in less than 2minutes.
I have taken the dan case apart 3 times now, completely redoing the build. Switching out Fans at the bottom of the case and ordering brand new Noctua 92X14MM. I have cleaned the CPU with 99 % alcohol every time, using a cotton ball and a QTIP, cleaning it very thorough and making sure no thermal paste leaked over to the MOBO or the Heatsink. I read that the Air cooler could be mounted improperly, or installed into the wrong port on the MOBO. I have watched plenty of videos to ensure it is mounted correctly. It sits very tight between my Corsair Vengeance Low Profile ram, and the *STRIX* cover on the Asus Rog Z390-I MOBO (Underneath holds the USB ports, ethernet, etc, etc) The wire has been plugged into both the CPU and AIO port on my MOBO.
Prior to me rebooting, going into the BIOS to make sure everything was good, the computer was running World of Warcraft just fine until suddenly temps start spiking, reaching 92 c before exiting the game. The CPU temperatures were around 100c before turning the PC off and letting it cool for a minute. This is when I switched the cables from the AIO to the CPU in hope having a little bit better control. The CPU is back down to idling at 38-41c WITHOUT the covers on the case, it is completely exposed allowing maximum amount of air flow.
I have ordered the Asetek 645LT on Friday, and plan on doing a swap back to watercooling.

What made me start this post is the spike of 100c whenever loading into Windows (first time this has happened since the build has been completed which was a little over a week ago), but I have been trying all week to get these temperature's down. As of right now, I have another I7-9700K coming in on June26-28th, but is on back order. Just in case this one is damaged.
Open to any suggestions!
Thank you very much.
HARDWARE:
Dan A4-SFX V4
Asus Rog Z390-I
Corsair Vengeance Low Profile
Corsair SF600 Low Profile PSU
Backside of MOBO M.2 - Samsung 860 256gb SSD (Windows 10 boot)
Under heatsink on MOBO M.2 - Samsung 860 1tb SSD (Storage)
Noctua NH-L9I Air Cooler
2 Noctua 92X14MM Fans. One under the the PSU, one under the mobo. Both facing up allowing intake.
GeForce 1080 Founders Edition (which also runs a tad hot, hit 92 c on Friday, 4 days after build just playing World of Warcraft)

Thank you all again.

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
- check if the Noctua L9i is mounted correctly. Maybe you have to rotate it 90° because it collide with a mainboard part.
- make sure the fan speed is @100% if temp is above 75°C
- Please use the correct amount of thermal paste

- read the thermal improvement guide https://dan-cases.com/dana4_faq.html
- Undervolting is nearly useless on Intel CPUs because it will not change the max power draw. You have to setup "Long Power Duration Limit" to reduce the temps. I think 95W will work with the L9i.

Goatee

King of Cable Management
Jun 22, 2018
Please don’t take this the wrong way, have you got the cooler on correctly?

Can you remove the Strix shroud and one ram stick temporarily to make sure it’s seated correctly. (Do this outside the case on a flat surface, then lay a straight edge across the top to confirm).

Also, did you remove the plastic from the cooler base?

Also final area to investigate which might be a red herring (other types of herring are available): can you reduce long and short power durations?

Edit: I took a long time between writing that and posting Dan summed it up much better.

SirFish

What's an ITX?
May 28, 2019
I'm going to say something is slightly off. I run an i7 9700k on an L9i at 4.5ghz with a 130w max tdp and a -0.110v undervolt. Only in prime 95 do I ever hit very high temps normally peaking at 90c. In every day tasks I never exceed 80c including XTUs stress test and I'm normally around 60-70c when gaming. I echo checking application and thermal paste.