Ryzen 5 2600, quiet fans and GPU, max 12W 10H 18D

Digital Larry

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Oct 15, 2019
That's about the extent of my requirements. It needs to fit into an existing space.

I'm looking for recommendations on:
  • Case
  • Motherboard
  • Cooler
  • Power supply
I am replacing a 12 year old system that really does still work but is slow. It is to be used in a home studio so I'd like to reduce the noise as much as possible. I'm OK with "quiet" fans as opposed to completely fanless although I will consider anything.

I also plan to add a 2.5" SSD and an M2 drive for more storage.

Not planning on overclocking. Not planning on gaming. Planning on using audio apps like Ableton Live and SONAR Professional. Ideally any front mount USB ports would be on the front face rather than the side. I get the impression that Ryzen 5 2600 is at a sweet spot of price/performance even if you factor in having to get an external GPU.

Is it true that no AMD current generation processors have a built in GPU?

I have looked at Coolermaster Elite 110 and 130 but I'm getting a headache looking at everything because it's tough to tell what will fit in these smaller cases. Like to get 16 GB RAM. Suitable power supply. Someone recommended a BitFenix PS as being reliable and quiet.

Last edited:

Stevo_

Master of Cramming
Jul 2, 2015
Is it true that no AMD current generation processors have a built in GPU?

I have looked at Coolermaster Elite 110 and 130 but I'm getting a headache looking at everything because it's tough to tell what will fit in these smaller cases. Like to get 16 GB RAM. Suitable power supply. Someone recommended a BitFenix PS as being reliable and quiet.

Yes, the AMD 2200G, 2400g, latest rev 3200G, & 3400G APUs all have internal GPUs on par with about a GT1030 give or take depending on APU. The cases mentioned would be pretty large for any builds based on those but could certainly be built quiet. Have a look in the "Cases an Custom Projects" thread there are cases produced by members that will likely fit your requirements as well.

Reactions: Digital Larry

Digital Larry

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Oct 15, 2019
Yes, the AMD 2200G, 2400g, latest rev 3200G, & 3400G APUs all have internal GPUs on par with about a GT1030 give or take depending on APU. The cases mentioned would be pretty large for any builds based on those but could certainly be built quiet. Have a look in the "Cases an Custom Projects" thread there are cases produced by members that will likely fit your requirements as well.
Thanks. It looks like those all give up 2 CPU cores to add the GPU, so not exactly what I'm after. Think I'm going to go for the Ryzen 5 2600 still.

So let me get back to the case. Elite 110 by Coolermaster: https://www.coolermaster.com/catalog/cases/mini-itx/elite110/

States: supports a 120 mm radiator IN THE FRONT.
76 mm clearance over the CPU. So I'm looking for "quiet" alternatives for either of those. The "in the front" gadget in their photo has pipes/hoses going to it and there's no reference to what it actually is.

Sorry I am kind of a noob at this stuff (I feel like I shouldn't be, but I am lost), there are just too many options and it seems like the case manufacturers are a little coy about showing a dimensioned drawing of their products.

Last edited:

Stevo_

Master of Cramming
Jul 2, 2015
Thanks. It looks like those all give up 2 CPU cores to add the GPU, so not exactly what I'm after. Think I'm going to go for the Ryzen 5 2600 still.

So let me get back to the case. Elite 110 by Coolermaster: https://www.coolermaster.com/catalog/cases/mini-itx/elite110/

States: supports a 120 mm radiator IN THE FRONT. What is that supposed to mean? Aren't all CPUs located "towards the back"? Is there some sort of offset cooler out there? Mind you I'm not looking for liquid cooling or anything. I just want a "quiet" (< 20 dBA) fan that can handle the R5 2600's 65 watts. update - after looking at the picture - the 120mm radiator in the front takes the place of the fan apparently and I don't see any mention at all of clearance OVER THE CPU for a regular cooler.

Sorry I am kind of a noob at this stuff (I feel like I shouldn't be, but I am lost), there are just too many options and it seems like the case manufacturers are a little coy about showing a dimensioned drawing of their products.

Does the audio app really need 6 cores? You also get hardware acceleration with the iGPU on many tasks. The only thing my 2400G can't keep up with using the CPU is 4kx60 h.265 vid decoding all cores maxed - fans maxed, 4kx30 is OK though but it will get warm and fan noise elevated but not horrible but it's a small case with stock Wraith Stealth cooler.

The radiator they are talking about is for an AIO liquid cooler like a Corsair Hydro H60(many other brands), but coolermaster says it comes with a 120mm fan in that spot, just run low RPMs. If you want quiet, Noctua coolers probably the easiest way to go NH-L12S 70mm w/slim fan height, should be minimum for quietness. From the Coolermaster Elite 110 webpage under specifications MAXIMUM COMPATIBILITY - CPU COOLER HEIGHT 76mm / 3 inch, and since you'll need a GPU, MAXIMUM COMPATIBILITY - PSU LENGTH 180mm / 7.1 inch. Maybe go for a passive cooled GPU to keep noise down as ou'll be adding another noise source.

Digital Larry

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Oct 15, 2019

Digital Larry

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Oct 15, 2019
Heck 12 core 3900 65W FTW!
Hmmm.... it's worth considering. Up against the 2600 CPU directly, the % performance increase is swamped by the cost delta in the 2600's favor, but considering the cost of the whole system, not so much. (oops, I was thinking of the 3600).

So my next question is about the BIOS upgrade issue. I spent a fair amount of time today reviewing "does too! does not!" reviews on Amazon as to whether or not certain motherboards require some other CPU to be used temporarily to effect a BIOS update to support the 3000 series. Perhaps you can comment on this? thanks again!

Last edited:

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
Hmmm.... it's worth considering. Up against the 2600 CPU directly, the % performance increase is swamped by the cost delta in the 2600's favor, but considering the cost of the whole system, not so much. (oops, I was thinking of the 3600).

So my next question is about the BIOS upgrade issue. I spent a fair amount of time today reviewing "does too! does not!" reviews on Amazon as to whether or not certain motherboards require some other CPU to be used temporarily to effect a BIOS update to support the 3000 series. Perhaps you can comment on this? thanks again!
I just bought an Asrock B450 Fatality off of Amazon, received it Monday of this week. The product page on Amazon shows a picture of the box which shows it to be Ryzen 3 ready, it was not in fact ready and was running the last BIOS before the update for Ryzen 3. Fortunately I already had an Athlon 200GE I had used for a previous BIOS update. So if you order a 400 series board there is still a chance it will have an old BIOS.

Last edited:

Digital Larry

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Oct 15, 2019
I just bought an Asrock B450 Fatality off of Amazon, received it Monday of this week. The product page on Amazon shows a picture of the box which shows it to be Ryzen 3 ready, it was not in fat ready and was running the last BIOS before the update for Ryzen 3. Fortunately I already had an Athlon 200GE I had used for a previous BIOS update. So if you order a 400 series board there is still a chance it will have an old BIOS.
Thanks for the report. I suppose I should be ready for it, it just cuts into the available time to return stuff. I see that AMD offers a loaner CPU program but you practically have to have your DNA notarized for that. I do have an Athlon X4 740 which is probably not adequate or the wrong socket or something.

Digital Larry

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Oct 15, 2019
OK here's my 90% sure build plan... https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Digital-Larry/saved/#view=P4dV7P

Feel free to point out serious errors in judgment I have made.

Not sure about the AORUS Wifi motherboard, as I don't really need wifi. I also chose the RAM more or less by closing my eyes and picking one. There seems to be the option to spend twice as much for something that spec wise is less than 10% different.

Digital Larry

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Oct 15, 2019
OK, I have finished (almost) building this. I went for the Asus ROG Strix B450 motherboard as the two other contenders had reviews talking about voltage regulator chip chirping, and even though I am not overclocking and might never encounter that, I really did not want to take the chance.

Few comments about the build.

a) I thought I was being clever by installing the CPU heat sink (Noctua NH-12s) before putting the motherboard in the case; WRONG. This makes it very difficult to get the cables in. The audio cable is under the heatsink so there is no way to get that one connected after the heatsink is on.

b) The BIOS makes it possible to set fan speed control profiles even with a 3 wire fan, they didn't have this kinda of flexibility 12 years ago! Great feature.

c) I started off by installing Ubuntu Studio on a 100 GB partition of the 500 GB SSD. Then I couldn't set the SSD to be the boot device except by going into BIOS setup and choosing it as an "emergency" boot device. Didn't know why until I went to install Windows 10. It would not let me install onto the the SSD (I also have an M2) and said that the MBR wouldn't work right with the UEFI and I should GPT, meanwhile SMH! So I wiped the 100G and created a 400 GB partition for Windows, which let me proceed. After Windows was installed I installed Ubuntu Studio again and that worked OK.

d) The "USB 3.0" connectors on the left front edge don't like my USB flash drives. Plugging into one of those gives an error while plugging into the rear panel USBs does not. I don't know if that's expected for USB 3.0. If so, seems like a questionable "feature". But maybe there's a connection or BIOS issue?
[Edit]: turns out there are USB 2.0 and 3.x blah blah connectors both on the mobo and case, but the case instructions state in VERY CLEAR 5 point type not to plug them both in at the same time! I pulled the 2.0 connector and it seems to work fine now.

e) The whole thing, with 2 speed controlled fans, is very quiet. It's below the threshold of my tinnitus unless I get really close. So I'm glad I did that rather than trying to pursue a totally fanless approach.

f) The orientation of the SATA power cable is wrong, assuming that the SSD will mount on the inside of the case frame. I'm probably going to wind up clipping the extra length/connectors from the SATA power cable and then bending the leads 90 degrees so at least they are parallel to the case side and can come back in.

g) the M2 drive came with some sort of stick on heatsink, which I put on. Then the mobo also has a heatsink and a rubbery foam sort of gasket that goes between the chips and the metal. With the stick on heatsink that came with the SSD installed, this wound up being a very tight fit and the M2 PCB was bending a bit. I tried to remove the M2's heat sink but couldn't easily. I repositioned the other gasket and it's a bit better, but were I to do it again I would not have used the M2's included heatsink.

h) The cool RGB LEDs on the motherboard were a surprise and normally I would not care at all about such a thing, but it's kinda cool. I'm leaving it on.

i) The video card has a horizontal "ripple" that appears in various locations when I scroll on my browser. I did not notice it under any other situation. Somewhat annoying, maybe not a deal breaker but if I could fix that, I would.

j) I got a Windows 10 OEM license for about 6 bucks on eBay. Way better deal than getting it from MS and seems legit.

Last edited: