Rumor RX 5500 Might Be Coming Soon-Ish

I saw this article today and it looks promising for folks looking for small form factor AMD solutions. AMD's apparently comparing its performance to the RX 480, but hopefully it's substantially lower power. I'm praying for low-profile dual-slot for a hackintosh build soon, since the 1650 isn't an option and the RX 560 is a bit underpowered for my taste. Anyway, I suppose we'll see Friday.

Reactions: kotproger

NateDawg72

Master of Cramming
Aug 11, 2016
I still follow AMD GPU releases but I've given up hoping for them to do anything big when it comes to perf/w, 75w cards, or laptop GPUs. It's unfortunate but ever since Maxwell and the 750ti AMD has hardly even tried to make 75w cards, and the ones they did make underperform Nvidia. I specifically remember AMD's 7750 (<75w, 512 shaders), and being disappointed that the <75W card that replaced it (R7 250, 384 shaders) actually performed worse!

Laptop is even worse... basically a graveyard for years with the exception of Macbooks. It'll be nice to see the RX 5500M in a few laptops but I have a feeling that by the time those laptops are widely available, Nvidia will be readying new chips with even better efficiency.

LeChuck81

SFF Lingo Aficionado
May 6, 2019
I still follow AMD GPU releases but I've given up hoping for them to do anything big when it comes to perf/w, 75w cards, or laptop GPUs. It's unfortunate but ever since Maxwell and the 750ti AMD has hardly even tried to make 75w cards, and the ones they did make underperform Nvidia. I specifically remember AMD's 7750 (<75w, 512 shaders), and being disappointed that the <75W card that replaced it (R7 250, 384 shaders) actually performed worse!

Laptop is even worse... basically a graveyard for years with the exception of Macbooks. It'll be nice to see the RX 5500M in a few laptops but I have a feeling that by the time those laptops are widely available, Nvidia will be readying new chips with even better efficiency.
Yeah, that's what kinda stopping me to be 100% sold on RX 5700 XT, Ampere's rumors are already starting. That, and the fact that the only Sentry-compatible 5700 Xt are basically the blower, AMD design-based, ones.
And reviews say that the blower design is kinda under estimated for the GPU.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Guess it's just me being disappointed because I set the expectation way too high with AMD releasing a 75W GPU with better performance than 1650/future 1650 Ti/Super (however they will call it) and same (or lower?) price point. ?
I completely agree that it would be really, really nice if AMD could pull this off - and I suppose it's possible in theory, for example using a low-clocked fully enabled Navi 14 die. That's an unlikely product to ever appear outside of laptops, though. Also, I'm definitely guilty of some minor rose-colored glasses here, what with being pleased that AMD is caught up on perf/W given their process advantage. Once Nvidia moves to 7nm, we'll see just how much of their architectural advantage is still there - though by that time RDNA 2 is likely waiting in the wings, given the impending launch of next-gen consoles (no, I don't think Ampere will be available before summer). I'm still torn if I'll want to upgrade to whatever big RDNA card AMD puts out in the coming months (RX 5800? 5900?) or to wait yet another generation for something with hardware ray tracing.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018

Well, this generation does have a (much) better chance of getting design wins than the previous ones, given that Nvidia actually doesn't have a perf/W advantage currently - and AMD does know how to compete on price. According to MSI their first laptop is arriving imminently, though of course we have no idea what supplies are like or how much stock there will be, let alone availability of models from other manufacturers. And premium designs are likely off the table, no matter how much I'd like a Razer Blade Stealth with an RX 5500M in it.

Jello

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 15, 2016
So i know someone of you AMD fanboys are watching all leaks and speculation closely. What's the performance range expected to be?

Jello

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 15, 2016
So the 5500/5500 XT are to be released in Q4 2019, and we're already 1 month into that. What are the chances these drop before black Friday? I hope we can get an ITX version, 5500XT will possibly be a 150W card, and my MSI ITX 1070 is 150W...would love to go full AMD in my MI-6 build.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Retail RX 5500 cards are (very) likely to differ from the spec of the currently known OEM-only cards - this is par for the course for AMD's OEM offerings. TGP, CU count and so on are all unknowns so far. The 150W TGP sounds ludicrous given that currently launched Navi matches or (barely) beats Turing for efficiency, but OEM cards are often specced with vast margins for safety. 150W might just mean "this card has a 6-pin power plug, make sure your PSU also has one". As such, speculating on the consumer card based off the OEM card is difficult. Also note that the OEM cards are simply called "RX 5500 series", with no demarcation of XT or non-XT variants. The consumer versions will undoubtedly differ from this. Personally, I'm hoping for a fully enabled card that beats the 1660, and a cut-down/down-clocked variant that matches or beats the 1650 at 75W. But who knows if that will happen?

Reactions: Jello