RTX 3060Ti Aero alternative? Meet the DIY PALIT StormX 3060Ti ITX Edition

xredlinexx1

Average Stuffer
Mar 18, 2019
Has anyone been able to unlock the voltage on the a4000? I did the palit mod, and it's definitely a beast and im very happy with it. Temps are very cool, just wish I could bump the performance up even more...there's so much thermal headroom.

robbee

King of Cable Management
n3rdware
Bronze Supporter
Sep 24, 2016
Has anyone been able to unlock the voltage on the a4000? I did the palit mod, and it's definitely a beast and im very happy with it. Temps are very cool, just wish I could bump the performance up even more...there's so much thermal headroom.

With a single 6 pin, power should be limited to 150w either way so there isn't much headroom there...

Reactions: rfarmer

sanakess

Chassis Packer
Jul 12, 2021
With a single 6 pin, power should be limited to 150w either way so there isn't much headroom there...
This guy just solder 8pin connector to it. and it works. im alrady ordered connectors to try. Thats about PL, i think only shuntmod can help

sunsetter

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Jan 25, 2023
Has anyone been able to mod the Zotac 3060 ti Twin OC with the 3060 Palit StormX cooler? I saw earlier in the thread that someone mentioned it but I didn't catch anyone's completed mod. I just picked one up on sale and ordered this heatsink from aliexpress. The listing includes the Zotac, but I started having doubts and stumbled on this thread through Reddit.

I am curious if anyone has info on the card. I am still in the return window, but I haven't found another 3060ti at MSRP or below that I can mod.

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
Has anyone been able to mod the Zotac 3060 ti Twin OC with the 3060 Palit StormX cooler? I saw earlier in the thread that someone mentioned it but I didn't catch anyone's completed mod. I just picked one up on sale and ordered this heatsink from aliexpress. The listing includes the Zotac, but I started having doubts and stumbled on this thread through Reddit.

I am curious if anyone has info on the card. I am still in the return window, but I haven't found another 3060ti at MSRP or below that I can mod.
The ZOTAC card uses a slightly different PCB layout compared to the other "reference OEM cards". I had already mentioned this on page 1 of this thread...

There are some components on the PCB that will interfere with the PALIT/PNY heatsink and therefore the cooler will not make good contact with your card. You'll have to check which components are in the way and then trim down the fins on the cooler to make it fit...

1674720255940.png

Last edited:

sunsetter

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Jan 25, 2023
The ZOTAC card uses a slightly different PCB layout compared to the other "reference OEM cards". I had already mentioned this on page 1 of this thread...

There are some components on the PCB that will interfere with the PALIT/PNY heatsink and therefore the cooler will not make good contact with your card. You'll have to check which components are in the way and then trim down the fins on the cooler to make it fit...

View attachment 2268
Thanks. I might go for a Dell A4000 someone is selling on reddit instead of the Zotac.

Reactions: REVOCCASES

Raxe

Trash Compacter
Mar 3, 2017

I was able to do the mod to my Zotac RTX 3060 Ti Twin Edge OC, but it was a long journey. Doing the heatsink swap was super easy, but straight out of the box, the temperatures skyrocketed to 90C in a few seconds with the stock +200W power consumption. Doing a heavy undervolt of 0,681mV and 1.480 MHz the power was cut in half with 90-100W and even with this the temps achieved those values, but in this case the values went up at a much slower pace.

I was dealing with that problem until I reached @REVOCCASES and his post when he showed that image of an user that found the solution.

So to put things easy I've attached two images, one with the PALIT/PNY heatsink and other with the PCB itself. The green squares on the Zotac PCB is what it interferes with the heatsink and doesn't allow a good contact. I've also put a green square more or less where you need to cut, but to be sure just see where it stops and doesn't allow to move further down. After cutting a little bit (the minimum allowed to fit) I was able to finally have a proper mod on the Zotac RTX 3060 Ti Single Fan.

Now I tend to play undervolted with 1.780 MHz and 0.768mV (I think I have a good chip) to have the fan pretty silent doing renders as playing don't push the card nothing close to that. But in my case I have a pretty difference on hotspot temperature vs core, there are 16-18 degrees, instead of the usual 8-12 degrees. So I think I'll need to cut more or buy another thermal pad instead of the 2 mm stock ones that were a little bit stiffy.

sunsetter

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Jan 25, 2023
I was able to do the mod to my Zotac RTX 3060 Ti Twin Edge OC, but it was a long journey. Doing the heatsink swap was super easy, but…

This is invaluable information. Thank you for detailing it out. I just ordered an A4000 instead and have a back up 3060 Ti Revel. I am waiting for the Aliexpress stormx heat sink to ship out.

I am working on two ITX builds one for me and one for my dad. I’ve learned a lot from this thread.

bunnylime

What's an ITX?
New User
Jan 30, 2023
Hello guys. One question, do you know if this board:

KFA2 36ISL6MD1VQK NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8 GB GDDR6

Has the same pcb as the Pallit? It's the best priced 3060ti and I was wondering if I could apply the inRobert cooler which only has the following listed as possible applications:

For Retrofit NVIDIA RTX A4000
For Gainward RTX 3060 Pegasus
For PNY GeForce RTX 3060 12GB XLR8 Gaming REVEL EPIC-X RGB Single Fan Edition​
For Dell RTX 3060 Ti
For Lenovo RTX 3060 Ti
For AX Gaming RTX 3060 Ti
For Zotac RTX 3060 Ti
For PNY RTX 3060 Ti
For Palit RTX 3060 Ti
For Gainward RTX 3060 Ti
For inno3D RTX 3060 Ti
For Manli RTX 3060 Ti
For Leadtek RTX 3060 Ti

ChinStrap

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 13, 2017
Looking at pictures via google images, I don't think the "KFA2 36ISL6MD1VQK" uses the reference PCB.

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
Unfortunately I couldn't find any teardowns to confirm if it fits but from this picture it looks to have at least a short PCB...

1675330081535.png

Runamok81

Runner of Moks
Jul 27, 2015
troywitthoeft.com

Nope, but we got our first official A4000 shunt mod results yesterday!

Checkout this overclock.net forum post
where user @jkgventures (https://jkgventures.tech/) stormed the A4000 leaderboards with a 8mO shunt modded A4000 that has 3070Ti performance in a mini itx package!

Best part is he plans on extending his established A2000 modding business to offer this A4000 mod.

Mini ITX is back on the menu!

Last edited:

ngotiendat

What's an ITX?
New User
Dec 7, 2022
This look so good that makes me want to change my 3070 heatsink too ...
Anyone has modded heatsink for 3070 FE (ref card with 12 pin same as 3060ti fe ref card)?

FreshHogan

Case Bender
New User
Sep 13, 2022
I was able to do the mod to my Zotac RTX 3060 Ti Twin Edge OC, but it was a long journey. Doing the heatsink swap was super easy, but straight out of the box, the temperatures skyrocketed to 90C in a few seconds with the stock +200W power consumption. Doing a heavy undervolt of 0,681mV and 1.480 MHz the power was cut in half with 90-100W and even with this the temps achieved those values, but in this case the values went up at a much slower pace.

I was dealing with that problem until I reached @REVOCCASES and his post when he showed that image of an user that found the solution.

So to put things easy I've attached two images, one with the PALIT/PNY heatsink and other with the PCB itself. The green squares on the Zotac PCB is what it interferes with the heatsink and doesn't allow a good contact. I've also put a green square more or less where you need to cut, but to be sure just see where it stops and doesn't allow to move further down. After cutting a little bit (the minimum allowed to fit) I was able to finally have a proper mod on the Zotac RTX 3060 Ti Single Fan.

Now I tend to play undervolted with 1.780 MHz and 0.768mV (I think I have a good chip) to have the fan pretty silent doing renders as playing don't push the card nothing close to that. But in my case I have a pretty difference on hotspot temperature vs core, there are 16-18 degrees, instead of the usual 8-12 degrees. So I think I'll need to cut more or buy another thermal pad instead of the 2 mm stock ones that were a little bit stiffy.
Thank you for this, I've been wondering why my temps were so bad, especially the hotspot. I think I need to do the mod you mentioned to the cooler and repaste everything. Right now my card's fan is surging from 0-1200 rpm for a second every 30 seconds or so and there is no way to control the fan via software or in the BIOS.

SFFMunkee

King of Cable Management
Jul 7, 2021
For those looking at RTX A4000s - I've got mine (Dell OEM) and it's not yet shunt-modded, and it's on the stock single-slot cooler still but...
I managed 10,847 in TimeSpy with a Graphics Score of 13,191 pts with a Jginyue B550 and Ryzen 3300X with 32GB of not-particularly-tuned B-Die.
This is using an undervolt curve at 787mV and ~1800MHz (average for the TimeSpy run was 1690MHz), and very importantly GDDR6 at +1000MHz.

Will update once I've had a chance to shunt-mod and/or mod the cooler.

Reactions: NinoPecorino