Prototype REVOCCASES RCC-TWR1 | small vertical tower with bottom I/O and ATX PSU support

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
first of all: I hope you all enjoyed the holidays and had a great Christmas time ... 🎄🎅🎁

I still had an old ATX power supply laying around and thought I'd design a simple case around it. Made from just two cut&bend aluminum parts, the case is easily scalable in X/Y/Z to fit different components and of course also the vent hole pattern can be customized...

Specs of the sample I made for myself:
  • Size: 320mm x 213mm x 156mm (~10.6L)
  • Motherboard: ITX
  • PSU: ATX, SFX, SFX-L
  • GPU: max. 2 Slots, 277L x 140H
  • CPU cooler: max. 136mm tall
  • case fans: two 92mm rear exhaust
  • I/O clearance: 40mm w/o feet, or more with feet
Here is a quick test build I did during the holidays:

if there is interest, I can share the drawings here on the forum so you can get your own case made by some local metal fabricator or just join my Discord and we'll figure something out...

Last edited:

Gilles3000

Airflow Optimizer
Oct 6, 2018
Pretty cool case, seem like it's be great for a vertical build on a budget.

Are the dimensions correct though? "213mm x 213mm" nothing about the case seems square, photo's could be deceiving so maybe it is.

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
Pretty cool case, seem like it's be great for a vertical build on a budget.

Are the dimensions correct though? "213mm x 213mm" nothing about the case seems square, photo's could be deceiving so maybe it is.

Thanks!

Oh, that was a typo. Should be 320 x 213 x 156mm

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
first of all: I hope you all enjoyed the holidays and had a great Christmas time ... 🎄🎅🎁

I still had an old ATX power supply laying around and thought I'd design a simple case around it. Made from just two cut&bend aluminum parts, the case is easily scalable in X/Y/Z to fit different components and of course also the vent hole pattern can be customized...
You must be super bored..lol

Designing a case around a PSU might simply be an industrial first...lol (not to mention that the case is SFF and the PSU is ATX...lol)

So, do you miss a white snowy Christmas back in Deutschland?

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
You must be super bored..lol

Designing a case around a PSU might simply be an industrial first...lol (not to mention that the case is SFF and the PSU is ATX...lol)

So, do you miss a white snowy Christmas back in Deutschland?

some people watch funny cat videos when bored, I design cases :p

The idea behind that strange combo was that I thought my old ATX PSU was more silent than the SFX PSUs I have - but turned out to be the opposite. XD anyways, think it's an overall good use of space like that... could even use one of those extra long ATX PSUs and combine it with an ITX GPU XD

heard the weather in Germany is currently similar like here but I sure do miss Christmas back home...

Gilles3000

Airflow Optimizer
Oct 6, 2018
The idea behind that strange combo was that I thought my old ATX PSU was more silent than the SFX PSUs I have - but turned out to be the opposite. XD anyways, think it's an overall good use of space like that... could even use one of those extra long ATX PSUs and combine it with an ITX GPU XD

Honestly, I think its quite a sensible design, maybe for different reasons.

ATX PSU's are still way cheaper and accessible than SFX, something like a Seasonic Focus/Fractal Ion+ platinum 550-660W can be had
between €80-90. And the lack of a riser is nice as well.

Only thing I might like to see changed is the height, I'd add another cm just to allow for better cable clearance at the bottom, You could even have multiple mounting locations for the motherboard to allow for either more cable clearance at the bottom or more gpu clearance at the top.

You're probably not planning to make more of these, but I figured some feedback couldn't hurt. 😉

Reactions: REVOCCASES

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
You could even have multiple mounting locations for the motherboard to allow for either more cable clearance at the top

That's a genius idea!

You're probably not planning to make more of these, but I figured some feedback couldn't hurt.

I'm happy to make a few more of those if there's some interest but I've moved away from manufacturing anything on stock. Like I mentioned in my OP, the design is easily scalable and I can customise it according to your preferences / components you'd like to build in.

silvapt91

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Feb 20, 2021
Now this, to me this is the perfect case and layout i was looking foward, slim as it should be and capable enough to us an ATX Psu, if it ever comes to production, i most probably will buy

Reactions: REVOCCASES

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
transplanted my 2080S and 3800X over in the new case today ... this time with my Silverstone 650G SFX instead of the ANTEC ATX

cable management is doable, even with the stiff Silverstone stock cables. However, @Kaji had a good idea for further improvement of the design: if I'd move the PSU a bit to the other side, the space behind could be used to hide away some of the cable mess.

build complete:

bonus picture: 30 min. stress test with case & CPU fans set to fixed 20%

(don't mind GPU temps, that card is running hot in every case I've build in)

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
I've made a few changes based on the ideas from @Kaji & @Gilles3000 and have attached the drawings here to that post if someone wants to DIY a case like that using SendCutSend or similar fabrication services...

general specs:
  • dimensions: 338 x 225 x 156mm (~12L)
  • PSU: ATX, SFX, ATX-L, SFX-L
  • CPU Cooler: 136mm

Motherboard and GPU position can now be changed, resulting in either increased GPU length /or alternatively/ more room for bottom I/O
  • GPU thickness: 2.5 slots, 55mm max. / <=50mm recommended) // 40mm max. in the lowest position (due to the power button)
  • GPU height: 142mm (incl. power cables)
  • GPU length depends on choice of PSU and position of the motherboard... e.g. max. 310mm with 24mm I/O clearance at the lowest position

(PS: of course you can always use some HiFi feet for increased clearance...)

if going for an SFX unit, there is now some space between side wall and PSU to hide away cables etc...

feel free to use the design files for your own personal projects or just drop me a message if you'd like me to build one for you...

Attachments

• RCC-TWR1-12L.zip
    346.7 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:

SoftOrangeYak

What's an ITX?
New User
Nov 12, 2023
Hello,

Just came across this case while on the hunt for a new SFF case. For me this would be the perfect case that would save me from modifying my current Meshlicious. Probably a long shot but do you have any of these left to sell?

Cheers.

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
Hello,

Just came across this case while on the hunt for a new SFF case. For me this would be the perfect case that would save me from modifying my current Meshlicious. Probably a long shot but do you have any of these left to sell?

Cheers.

Unfortunately this was just a one-off project and I have no case left to sell.

But... I shared the drawings in my post above, so you can send those to some online metal fabricator like SendCutSend and ask them to cut/bend a case for you...