Cooling Review: Thermalright AXP90-X36 - new 36mm cooler

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
Just found that Thermalright released another version of their AXP90 cooler series: AXP90-X36

This time only 36mm tall, including a backplate and improved mounting on AMD motherboards (fin orientation / airflow is not blocked by the RAM)

Bild_2021-06-06_152237.png

Bild_2021-06-06_152505.png

Product page on JD.com (China):

First look / Short Review

unboxing: the cooler comes with everything you need for AMD and INTEL sockets

changing the mounting brackets is straight forward

the thread quality was pretty poor on my unit - I could not fully attach the standoffs on the AM4 brackets

that definitely needs some improvement - I had to rework the brackets with an M3 tapping tool

the included backplate may cause some issues with certain motherboards - e.g. on the DeskMini the CMOS battery is in the way...

...but sometimes it's actually worth to have a look in the manual - the screws are slim enough to use stock AMD backplates which come with your motherboard - THERMALRIGHT also ships the cooler with shorter and longer standoffs

for my thermal performance test I am using an Ryzen 4650G - today ambient temperature is a bit high with 29C so keep that in mind...

Test conditions: open air, stock thermal paste, X300 STX board - all standard settings, fan speed 100%, Kombustor CPU Burner Stress Test until temperature settles

Results with the THERMALRIGHT AXP90-X36

For comparison: ID-Cooling IS-40X (exactly the same test setup and ambient temp)

Last edited:

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
Just found that Thermalright released another version of their AXP90 cooler series: AXP90-X36

This time only 36mm tall, including a backplate and improved mounting on AMD motherboards (fin orientation / airflow is not blocked by the RAM)

View attachment 1089

View attachment 1090

Product page on JD.com (China):

So, now they have AXP90 available in 3 heights (53mm, 47mm and this 36mm).
It is good that Thermalright not only does not forget the low form factor cooler market but actually keeps on expanding into it. This is particularly important, IMHO, as AIOs are getting more popular while air cooling seems to shrink back a bit.

Last edited:

Analogue Blacksheep

King of Cable Management
Dec 2, 2018
I had noticed:

@GucksTV - If you don't mind me requesting, but when you do your tests could you try it with the NF-A9x14 HS if you have access to one please? It's an option I am considering for my build.

Last edited:
Reactions: REVOCCASES

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network

xredlinexx1

Average Stuffer
Mar 18, 2019
Anyone have any updates on the x36 performance? I couldn't find any review on @GucksTV's channel. Would love to get a better idea of its performance compared to an l9a. I see above, maybe a 5c improvement. However, the IS-40x performs better than an l9a, right? So maybe even more than 5C?

Reactions: GucksTV

GucksTV

Airflow Optimizer
Mar 13, 2018
www.youtube.com
Anyone have any updates on the x36 performance? I couldn't find any review on @GucksTV's channel. Would love to get a better idea of its performance compared to an l9a. I see above, maybe a 5c improvement. However, the IS-40x performs better than an l9a, right? So maybe even more than 5C?
Expect my Review going live next week! :) This week the Noctua NH-P1 went online. Have to work through my videos that build up lately...😂

leMadZSE

Cable Smoosher
Aug 4, 2019
Expect my Review going live next week! :) This week the Noctua NH-P1 went online. Have to work through my videos that build up lately...😂
Nice! I'm starting to build a Velka 5, so I'm deciding between this and the veteran L9a right now.

GucksTV

Airflow Optimizer
Mar 13, 2018
www.youtube.com
Nice! I'm starting to build a Velka 5, so I'm deciding between this and the veteran L9a right now.
I've got you covered bro! ;)

Finally I've got my Review and comparison between the Noctua NH-L9a AM4 vs. Thermalright AXP90-X36 online! ;)
You will be surprised guys! Later I will upload the Benchmarking results as picture to the forum, but feel free to check out my video!