I think I might have made our FSP media rep nervous. He was asking when the formal review for the Dagger Pro 850 watt SFX PSU would be online, and I sent him these pictures:

Yeah, I think I made him nervous.
You see, I don’t have much in the way of fancy power supply testing equipment. I can check the voltages and levels, but a multi-thousand dollar calibrated and certified load testing machine is still a bit out of reach for me for now. This means I have to use real computer components, and build up systems designed to push a PSU to and beyond the listed limits. This means I try to...

Continue reading...

Last edited:

Neathdrawls

Airflow Optimizer
Jul 28, 2021
Good to see and read the review, and that it is a good unit.

It often goes on sale where I am based, and is always cheaper than Cooler Master's and Corsair's SFX offerings, even without the discount.

I personally own a Dagger Pro 650W, and it's quite alright. As per your review, my main gripe is the cables. Especially the CPU 8 Pin, it is amazingly long, but granted I reckon that FSP reckons the unit being used in some ATX cases and it needs the extra cable length.

Reactions: Revenant

AlexTSG

Master of Cramming
Jun 17, 2018
www.youtube.com
With rumors that the next generation of GPUs may be drawing up to 600W, and Intel's new ATX 3.0 spec supporting a new 12-pin 12VHPWR connector, I'll probably be holding off on a new power supply purchase for a while.

However, it's good to know there may be some more good quality competition to the Corsair SFF power supplies when the time comes.

I have a ton of FSP external power bricks, and a number of their internal power supplies running in servers. In fact I replaced an FSP Flex ATX power supply in one of my routers this week, and that had been running 24/7 for over 6 years. It likely died due to a faulty UPS it was connected to. So, if their SFF power supplies are up to similar standards then I'd be happy to consider one for a future build.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Thanks for a great review! Without advanced testing gear it's good to see you go the "If I can't be accurate, I can at least try to kill it" torture testing route. And the results are impressive! Definitely seems like a good option, and it's great to see FSP make an effort in the retail market, as they've made a lot of good OEM units throughout the years.

Reactions: Revenant