Reduce minimum search length limit?

EdZ

Virtual Realist
Original poster
May 11, 2015
Not sure if this is a Xenforo limitation, but can the minimum search term length be removed, or at least reduced to three characters? Everyone loves their TLAs, and the current limit prevents you from searching for such terms as: SFX, ITX, '960 Evo', '1TB m.2', and so on.

Reactions: Phuncz

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Yes, please! Also, is there any possibility to change the order by which results are normally displayed?

If I search for "what games are you playing", I expect the thread "What games are you playing?" To be the first result, but it isn't.

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Minimum character limit for forum search has been reduced to 3. Though "M.2" still won't work due to the period, but it's a MySQL limitation.

As far as the relevancy of the search results, not much we can do about that, the built-in search has a ways to go to catch up to Google's omnipotence when it comes to search.

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I've been using the search function a lot more recently and the relevancy issue is starting to bug me. There is a $50 add-on to Xenforo for Elasticsearch that should dramatically improve the search results.

So sometime next year if finances look good and I can get it running on the server we'll implement it.

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Not sure if this is a Xenforo limitation, but can the minimum search term length be removed, or at least reduced to three characters? Everyone loves their TLAs, and the current limit prevents you from searching for such terms as: SFX, ITX, '960 Evo', '1TB m.2', and so on.

I second this. I'm always hugely annoyed I can't search for 3 letter acronyms on other forums. I always figured it was an anti-bot thing.

Ceros_X

King of Cable Management
Mar 8, 2016
I am also annoyed by the search results. Maybe we could crowd fund a fix -- a few dudes donates $10?

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Well, you're all premium supporters so that should cover it already. But we will be doing a shirt campaign on Teespring in the next few weeks so you can help us out and get a cool T-shirt.

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
We have some text planned for the back that I think you all will enjoy, stay tuned :)

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
If I search for "what games are you playing", I expect the thread "What games are you playing?" To be the first result, but it isn't.

I've been using the search function a lot more recently and the relevancy issue is starting to bug me. There is a $50 add-on to Xenforo for Elasticsearch that should dramatically improve the search results.

So sometime next year if finances look good and I can get it running on the server we'll implement it.

And it works beautifully in my testing so far, let me know what you all think :)

Edit: Ha! Even two letter search terms (like "LP") are no issue :cool:

Last edited: