Raijintek Metis airflow-mod

ebc92

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Mar 4, 2018
I have had my Raijintek Metis for some time now. Its minimalistic aesthetics and small footprint is what initially attracted me to SFF builds. The classic Metis has a big drawback though - airflow. Out of the box, it only has 1x 120mm rear fan that wes configured as an intake, and... well, that's it, aside from PSU exhaust and the passive, yet very obstructed intake behind the motherboard tray. While I wasn't experiencing throttling on my CPU or GPU, the temps were typically in the 80s to high 90s, so something had to give. So about a year ago I decided to dremel off the top cover of the case to install additional 2x 120mm fans as well as upgrading the CPU & original case fan to Corsair ML120s.

I didn't document the mod at that time. However, as spring cleaning is in season and I just opened up the case to remove my GTX 970 that i recently sold (downsizing to 2400G + platform upgrade), I figured i'd take the opportunity to rinse out some dust, unused cables and take some pictures.

TL;DR: Case nice, airflow bad. Dremel good.

This is how a stock classic Metis looks - the other side has a window but no perforation for venting.

As mentioned my preferred approach was taking a dremel to the top case cover to make a large opening for the two extra 120mm fans. This would look a little gnarly though, so to streamline the mod I ordered a 240mm radiator grill with dust covers to cover the opening, as well as my chosen fans.
  • 240mm radiator grill
  • Dust covers
  • Corsair ML120 White x4
Radiator grill + 2 sets of dust covers (coarse & fine)

Corsair ML120 White LED x4

I started with removing the top case cover to dremel a 120x240mm opening in it.
Mounting holes were also drilled for the radiator grill. As you can see in the picture, i sacrificed the front I/O. I dont use it much anyway, and removing it also means less cable clutter inside a case that is already very hard to cable manage.

The radiator grill was a little too long, so I had to shorten it slightly. I cut off a thin metal strip above where the logo sits.

At this point, mounting the stuff was pretty straight forward.

Fans mounted & cables tied:

This is how it turned out, once the mod was finished:

Cables managed ✔ - notice the lack of GPU. I just sold my GTX 970 to order up a Ryzen 2400G-based system. Build log coming :)

Plexi-glass window cleaned and put back on:

Finished top view:

All in all, i'm very happy with the result. Temperature drop under load is approx. 30* C.
Bonus photo - and why I need ITX:

Build description:
  • Gigabyte GA-H87N-WIFI
  • Intel i5-4670K
  • GTX 970 (Sold, not featured in photos)
  • Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3
  • Corsair SF450 SFX PSU
  • 2.5" 256GB SSD and 2.5" 2TB HDD

jmarin

Airflow Optimizer
Mar 8, 2018
Nice! I am literally working on the same type of mod for my Metis Plus. I am keeping the front IO and 3D printing a grill and fan tray (thanks to access at my work). Seeing the eliminated IO cables though makes me wonder if I should get rid of them, too LOL

ebc92

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Mar 4, 2018
Yeah, getting rid of the front I/O really cleaned up the interior! Hoping to see a post on your mod when the time comes :)

Reactions: jmarin

jmarin

Airflow Optimizer
Mar 8, 2018
Yeah, getting rid of the front I/O really cleaned up the interior! Hoping to see a post on your mod when the time comes :)

You've inspired me to post my progress thus far! Will be 3D printing this week and hopefully the results are good :thumb:

Reactions: ebc92

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
30C drop is insane! Excellent work :) It worries me when case designers such as Raijintek (or their OEM) go for aesthetics over performance :(

zymon410

What's an ITX?
Jul 23, 2018
I have had my Raijintek Metis for some time now. Its minimalistic aesthetics and small footprint is what initially attracted me to SFF builds. The classic Metis has a big drawback though - airflow. Out of the box, it only has 1x 120mm rear fan that wes configured as an intake, and... well, that's it, aside from PSU exhaust and the passive, yet very obstructed intake behind the motherboard tray. While I wasn't experiencing throttling on my CPU or GPU, the temps were typically in the 80s to high 90s, so something had to give. So about a year ago I decided to dremel off the top cover of the case to install additional 2x 120mm fans as well as upgrading the CPU & original case fan to Corsair ML120s.

I didn't document the mod at that time. However, as spring cleaning is in season and I just opened up the case to remove my GTX 970 that i recently sold (downsizing to 2400G + platform upgrade), I figured i'd take the opportunity to rinse out some dust, unused cables and take some pictures.

TL;DR: Case nice, airflow bad. Dremel good.

This is how a stock classic Metis looks - the other side has a window but no perforation for venting.

As mentioned my preferred approach was taking a dremel to the top case cover to make a large opening for the two extra 120mm fans. This would look a little gnarly though, so to streamline the mod I ordered a 240mm radiator grill with dust covers to cover the opening, as well as my chosen fans.
  • 240mm radiator grill
  • Dust covers
  • Corsair ML120 White x4
Radiator grill + 2 sets of dust covers (coarse & fine)

Corsair ML120 White LED x4

I started with removing the top case cover to dremel a 120x240mm opening in it.
Mounting holes were also drilled for the radiator grill. As you can see in the picture, i sacrificed the front I/O. I dont use it much anyway, and removing it also means less cable clutter inside a case that is already very hard to cable manage.

The radiator grill was a little too long, so I had to shorten it slightly. I cut off a thin metal strip above where the logo sits.

At this point, mounting the stuff was pretty straight forward.

Fans mounted & cables tied:

This is how it turned out, once the mod was finished:

Cables managed ✔ - notice the lack of GPU. I just sold my GTX 970 to order up a Ryzen 2400G-based system. Build log coming :)

Plexi-glass window cleaned and put back on:

Finished top view:

All in all, i'm very happy with the result. Temperature drop under load is approx. 30* C.
Bonus photo - and why I need ITX:

Build description:
  • Gigabyte GA-H87N-WIFI
  • Intel i5-4670K
  • GTX 970 (Sold, not featured in photos)
  • Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3
  • Corsair SF450 SFX PSU
  • 2.5" 256GB SSD and 2.5" 2TB HDD
Hi, this is an amazing mod. congrats. im planning to build the same and do the same mod. just wanted to know what is the model of your CPU cooler and also the fan at the back. i really like the outcome and will copy the same. thanks :)

ebc92

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Mar 4, 2018
Thanks! The cooler is a Cooler Master Hyper 212 IIRC. If i was doing this build again i think i'd have gone with the cryorig H7 though (look out for ram clearance issues, its already pretty tight so i had to mount the fan with zip ties) All fans are white Corsair ML120's. I hope to see your build on here when done! :)

Last edited:

steveiop2

Case Bender
Jun 17, 2019
I've just bought this case. Was so nice looking and space used very effectively without using extension cables.
From real is wonderfully done and there are nice touches as hdd suspensions.

The problem s airflow. Seems not enginereed at all. from current design I think that there are air flows that came cold inside the case e.g. from behind the motherboard, and leave still cold without entering in contact with hot components!

I personally think that a case like this is a perfect place where to apply front to back air flow, closing all the side and top (this just in case there is no graphic card as in my case with an APU) air holes, and clearly make some in the front now completely closed. Following what I would expect (note that power supply is mouted to take air from the front and not messing in the CPU area).

Someone tested something like this? What do you think of it?

BonfireOfDreams

Average Stuffer
Mar 14, 2019
I've been eyeing the Metis Plus for awhile now. I've grown weary of the idea of AIO solutions for SFF, & I've lost interest in compromising on CPU or potential thermal throttling. It's nearly the perfect case with modifications like yours. Don't have to get a riser cable, and the price cannot be beat. Perhaps someday, there will be a market for enthusiast quality level SFF cases that tailor to high end air coolers.

steveiop2

Case Bender
Jun 17, 2019
I did some tests. With Great Marsenne Prime benchmark...

As supposed they confirm a bad airflow.

System:
- MB Gigabyte B450 I Aurus PRO
- 16GB 3200 HyperX ram
- Ryzen 2200G CPU with stock cooler (wright stealth)
- Silentstorm 450W SFX power with internal fan facing front of the case

Just note that I tryed to put back panel holes in the front. Here is a photo:

Results:

TEST1: like it is

TEST2: top hole closed

TEST3: without glass panel side

On the first two tests the CPU got 95 degree throttling. Not much changed.
On the last test the CPU was always between 80 and 90 degree (celsius). Slightly better performance.

I still think that somemore front holes should help...

ebc92

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Mar 4, 2018
I did some tests. With Great Marsenne Prime benchmark...

As supposed they confirm a bad airflow.

I still think that somemore front holes should help...

Congrats on your case! With some mods it really is one of the better SFF cases in regards to price and aesthetics.

The Metis does indeed have some challenges in regards to airflow.
This should have been adressed to some degree with the new Metis Plus (I see this is the version you have picked up).
Metis plus has additional ventilation and (i believe) support for an additional case fan up top.

Personally I would opt for installing an additional case fan up top over drilling holes in the front panel.
It would likely yield way better results as well as leaving the aesthetic of the case intact.

The PSU would likely obstruct airflow anyway, and you would be unable to mount a 120mm fan in the front for the same reason.

I have however since sold off my Metis, but i ended up missing it so much i picked up a 2nd one.
There are currently no plans for this case in the short term, though i will likely update here if I do a new Metis build.