Few questions about Raijintek Metis

Wintermute

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Oct 25, 2018
Hello...I am soon to be owner of the Metis, the non-Plus version, with small acrylic side window. A guy from the local tech forum is willing to sell me his modded Metis, with 2 fans mounts at top (for 20€, heh). I have plans to upgrade my old Haswell i5 ATX rig and go SFF. I don't have the main stuff yet - CPU, mobo and RAM, what I have is the SF600 Gold, a giant Phanteks PH-TC14PE cooler which may fit with regular 140mm fans, a 240mm 2-slot Asus 1060 Expedition, a SSD and 2x3.5" HDDs. I'll prolly get a 6-core Ryzen, maybe even Intel if I find one cheap, who knows...

Anyway, I have few questions in regards with cooling and storage.

1. Has anyone tried mounting a fan in place of that small side window? I'm guessing it would improve the temps, whether as intake or exhaust...

2. Speaking of side window, one other thing I thought of is to remove it, put a metal mesh in its place and use a top-down cooler like Noctua C14s or the Dark Rock TF, which would make a good use of that side intake (and blow on the VRM a little). Is it a good option or should I stick with tower coolers?

3. I would like to somehow keep both of my HDDs, or at least one. I know there's a 3.5" mount on the bottom but I've seen some mentions of people sliding a HDD between the front panel and a SFF PSU. I'm sure there's enough room there for a 2.5" HDD but is there enough room for a 3.5" one?

4. If I put a HDD into a bottom mount, what's the best air cooler I could use? All the good ones I've been looking into (the 120mm ones) are too wide and they would hit the HDD (I guess it may depend on the socket placement on the motherboard too)...

Looking forward to your thoughts...

Shield_RO

Case Bender
Dec 14, 2019
I am using a Raijintek Metis Plus and the following hardware inside.

- Ryzen 1600X
- Asrock X370 Fatality ITX
- GTX 1060 Founders Ed.
- 2 x 8 G.SKill Ripjaws V with CL14
- SSD NVMe Corsair MP300 of 250GB
- SSD SATA WD Blue of 500GB
- Corsair SFX 450W + Corsair SF Premium cables set
- CPU cooler Noctua U9S
- Up and down coolers 2xNoctua NF F12
- Raijintek Metis Plus + ATX to SFX Silverstone adapter

CPU idle temp. (no changes in BIOS) = 30-32 Celsius

A picture