Quiet and high-end sff building

couzz

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Oct 17, 2017
This is what i am exactly looking for and i have never built a sff system before.So i have zero experience.But being quiet is important for me as much as possible.

I am planing to buy dan case sfx with high-end components like 1080 ti,i7 7700,16gb ram,sfx psu and noctua cpu fans etc.(this is my senario)

What should i expect on noise level of this build? Also can you give me point between numbers 1-5. ( 1 is silent and 5 is deafening)

As a last your answers will help and convince me whether i will build it or not.Because it is going to be bad investment for me.If it is too noisy.

ChainedHope

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 5, 2016
You wont get a (1) if your not watercooling, passive cooling, or putting the computer in a different room.

In general your loudest components are going to be the GPU and PSU. In terms of noise, for the most part 1080 ti's arent particularly loud and you can change the fan speed in software. Just need to hope you dont get a lot of coil whine. For PSU you want to find a larger watt psu than what you need. Higher wattage means cooler operation which would keep the fan speed down. If SFX-L psus are supported in that case (i doubt it) then getting one of those would be beneficial as they use a larger fan and can run at a lower rpm.

Without knowing any more about your system configuration (coolers, use case) Im going to assume it would be a (3). It wont be loud like a server (read Jet Turbine) but it wont be as quiet as someone with a full watercooling setup or passive cooling.

Reactions: couzz

jtd871

SFF Guru
Jun 22, 2015
Depends on your fan curves.

Seriously, though, run your system outside the case. It will sound like that.

jtd871

SFF Guru
Jun 22, 2015
You wont get a (1) if your not watercooling, passive cooling, or putting the computer in a different room.

In general your loudest components are going to be the GPU and PSU. In terms of noise, for the most part 1080 ti's arent particularly loud and you can change the fan speed in software. Just need to hope you dont get a lot of coil whine. For PSU you want to find a larger watt psu than what you need. Higher wattage means cooler operation which would keep the fan speed down. If SFX-L psus are supported in that case (i doubt it) then getting one of those would be beneficial as they use a larger fan and can run at a lower rpm.

Without knowing any more about your system configuration (coolers, use case) Im going to assume it would be a (3). It wont be loud like a server (read Jet Turbine) but it wont be as quiet as someone with a full watercooling setup or passive cooling.

He's getting a Dan A4, which does support SFX and SFX-L.

Reactions: ChainedHope

couzz

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Oct 17, 2017

Thank you for the answer.You gave me new and good ideas.Especially i have not known that there were SFX-L psus and their differences.
I have very long time before i will buy all companents.So i will read more about watercooling too and i think 3 is not bad a number.

jtd871

SFF Guru
Jun 22, 2015
The A4 case is very close to an open bench in terms of thermal performance, so however loud or quiet your setup is will be minimally affected by putting it in a case.

Reactions: couzz