Power Supply PSU change for HP800 G1 SFF computer (to make it more quiet and ready for GPU upgrade)

Bangforbuck

Chassis Packer
Original poster
May 30, 2019
I have HP800G1 ELITEDESK Small form factor computer and I am looking for info whether POWER SUPPLY UNIT
could be changed with a more powerful (for GPU-Graphics card) and a more quiet one.

Here is computer info: https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03832938

Current integrated PSU (240 W) in HP800 SFF is:
-MODEL is D12-240P3A
-PART NUMBER is 702308-002
-SPARE NUMBER is 751 885-001

Is it possible to change it with another company's PSU like EVGA, BEQUIET?
What characteristics would I need to search for? SFX? Wiring? Cable?
Which models with a very good price would be recommended for what I am looking for?

Or is it impossible to change it (is it proprietary?)? I think I read somewhere that this computer model also has option for
320W PSU upgrade from HP company, do you maybe know about that?

If I would put GPU that uses 30 W (or 75W) that has 300W recommended PSU into this computer with only 240W,
could it damage motherboard or any other component? Could I set something up (in HP BIOS for example) to be able to prevent this?

Any info is welcome.

ShamedGod

Cable-Tie Ninja
Apr 21, 2019
Most of the OEM SFF machines I've worked with (the majority of those being Dell) use an external power brick. So does the ASRock DeskMini's. After doing a quick search it looks like, if this is your model, it also uses an external power brick:

If THIS is the model you have the PSU looks proprietary: https://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-ELITEDE...855785?hash=item59279f87e9:g:EnkAAOSwRwpcv7ls

Better off saving your money and putting it toward a new machine.

Reactions: Bangforbuck

glow

Trash Compacter
Feb 5, 2019
TL;DR: Not worth upgrading the proprietary PSU; the max OEM specced GPU is 35W. This is extremely limiting.

I agree with @ShamedGod . Going back a long ways, almost all OEM SFF PCs (with internal supplies) use proprietary power supplies. Some may use proprietary MB form factors, too (e.g, I had a HP Slimline with a DTX AM2 mobo that used a miniaturized ["mini-fit Jr"] ATX 24pin and LGA775 heatsink mounting holes - and a proprietary PSU that nothing else would fit in, of course). That could further complicate any upgrade attempt.

The highest power draw GPU that HP specced was the AMD Radeon 8490, which draws 35W, all via the MB (again, by appearance). For safety and practicality's sake, I'd go no more powerful than the GT1030 GDDR5 (low profile / half height version). Even if HP followed ATX specs on power delivery and made the MB capable of delivering the full 75W spec, a low profile GTX 1050 Ti is very expensive (even for a GTX1050Ti), and simply not worth it. None of the current AMD GPUs in this segment are even worth looking at, unless they are nearly free or your market heavily favors AMD cards.

I understand your viewpoint on this. My first SFF PC was a HP Slimline Elite (the ~2006-2008 consumer predecessor of your desktop). Upgrading it turned out to not be worthwhile, yet I still spent who-knows-how-much on it. In the end, I was better off scrounging for cheap, standardized parts (like then, AMD is currently in a good spot for decent, cheap parts). That being said, by starting your learning with an OEM box, you're still in a decent spot. The downside is the SFF community has long since moved away from those OEM boxes, so there isn't as much help and resources for those boxes nowdays (compared to how it was, back when I was getting into SFF PCs).

Reactions: Bangforbuck

Bangforbuck

Chassis Packer
Original poster
May 30, 2019
TL;DR: Not worth upgrading the proprietary PSU; the max OEM specced GPU is 35W. This is extremely limiting.

The highest power draw GPU that HP specced was the AMD Radeon 8490, which draws 35W, all via the MB (again, by appearance). For safety and practicality's sake, I'd go no more powerful than the GT1030 GDDR5 (low profile / half height version). Even if HP followed ATX specs on power delivery and made the MB capable of delivering the full 75W spec, a low profile GTX 1050 Ti is very expensive (even for a GTX1050Ti), and simply not worth it. None of the current AMD GPUs in this segment are even worth looking at, unless they are nearly free or your market heavily favors AMD cards.

Thank you for info.
I was looking at this 30W GPU card
This card would be recommended for my computer? I read online it's very loud, which I do not like.
It says here (and with few other cards I saw) that 300W PSU is recommended,
do you maybe know if there would be even slightest chance of damaging my computer
(and if there is any set up I could make to prevent that)?

I was also looking at this silent card with online 10W power needed!!!!!
It would seem very good option for me as I do not like noise and GPUs can be very annoying about that, right?
Plus of course my 240W PSU wouldn't mind those extra 10W :)

Do you maybe know of any better GT 1030 GPU 35W Low profile Graphics cards?
So there is no chance I could get in even slightly better card than GT 1030?
I was looking at
https://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-750-ti/specifications
https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/gigabyte-gtx-750-ti-low-profile-oc.b5381 (says it used 60W only)
(a little better benchmark than GT 1030 and used cards can be bought much cheaper on EBAY-I do not see any used GT1030s)
https://www.gigabyte.com/Graphics-Card/GV-N105TOC-4GL#sp (Says 300W PSU recommended like on the ZOTAC GT 1030 website)

Last edited: