Prospective build, need advice

Koffieleutje24

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
New User
May 19, 2020
Hi Guys,

So I just written my introduction on the forum and I'm getting straight to business: I want to build an SFF system but I want to salvage as much as possible from my current build. I'm upgrading my GPU as soon as RTX 3000 comes out but I want to keep my Processor, RAM and storage at least.
CPU: i5 9600k
RAM: 16gb ddr4 corsair vengeance (i think 3200 mhz, not sure)
Storage: 1x m.2 ssd, 2x 2.5" ssd (i also have some HDD's but I will get rid of those

I want to go for a 3070 or 3080 when they come out, not sure yet but it's going to be a full length GPU at least.

My current idea would be something like the Louqe ghost or Mjolnir cases, a suitable mini-itx motherboard and an sfx power supply that because of the demanding gpu I want to use has to be at least 550 watt, according to my calculations. My backup idea if these cases aren't available when I'm going to build would be the NZXT H1.

Now my problems/dilemmas:
- I would like to use my CPU AIO which is a 240mm radiator, so that must fit in the case.
- I'm in a privileged position that I can afford these things but I'm also just a student without unlimited money. So budget is a very important factor for me. I'm planning on selling all the parts that are left over and my total budget (including gpu) would be around 1000 euro's meaning that if i go for the 3000 series equivalent of the 2070 will leave me with about 300-400 + whatever i can make from selling old parts (which i roughly estimate to be around 300 euro's for motherboard, case, psu, and gpu)

So here I am, seeing all these beautiful SFF build with these boutique like cases that all cost more than 200 euro's if they are even available at all. Any tips and suggestions are welcome, so thanks in advance!

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
Based on your mentioning of the Louqe Ghost and Mjolnir case, I suppose your preferred format is an 'A4 sandwich' style case?

One suggestion is to go to the 'What is on Taobao' thread and go through it to see if there is a case that interests you. There are quite a number of A4-sandwich style cases that are cheaper but of good to excellent quality. This A4-sandwich style is not my cup of tea (due to the usage of a PCIe riser) but you can ask around and I am sure many members will be happy to advise you, including using an agent to order for you and ship to you in the Netherlands.

Reactions: Soul_Est

Koffieleutje24

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
New User
May 19, 2020
Based on your mentioning of the Louqe Ghost and Mjolnir case, I suppose your preferred format is an 'A4 sandwich' style case?

One suggestion is to go to the 'What is on Taobao' thread and go through it to see if there is a case that interests you. There are quite a number of A4-sandwich style cases that are cheaper but of good to excellent quality. This A4-sandwich style is not my cup of tea (due to the usage of a PCIe riser) but you can ask around and I am sure many members will be happy to advise you, including using an agent to order for you and ship to you in the Netherlands.

Thanks for the response. Now you mention it an 'a4 sandwich' is a nice way of putting it. That's what I'm looking for yeah. I'll give the thread you mentioned a try thank you.

Why don't you like using a riser? Are there significant drawbacks to that?

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
Thanks for the response. Now you mention it an 'a4 sandwich' is a nice way of putting it. That's what I'm looking for yeah. I'll give the thread you mentioned a try thank you.

Why don't you like using a riser? Are there significant drawbacks to that?
Reliability - PCIe cables are admittedly better made in recent years but, IMO, still not as reliable as the other components of the PC system.

Simplicity - an additional part increases complexity. Eg depending on the case design, the cable could 'cover' the M.2 SSD on back of mobo and needs ingenious ventilation arrangement.

Availability - not easily readily available/replaceable. A cable of specific length and connector orientation is needed to fit a certain case. It is not like you can just hop down to your local retail store and grab it if you want one.

Expensive - cost of a quality one is (relatively) not cheap.

The chief advantage is to allow the display card be placed in a way to make the case volume smaller.
This is a tradeoff that I personally will not accept. Just a personal thing.

Reactions: Koffieleutje24