Project Mercury - An internal watercooled Skyreach 4 Mini

Will you pay 300$ USD for a motherboard monoblock that have pump and resivior intergrated into it?

• Yes

Votes: 60 69.0%
  • Way tooooo expensive

Votes: 17 19.5%
  • *Rember, you saved on fittings(at least 2 of them), pump top, and reservoir with an AIO like this*

Votes: 10 11.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Damascus

Master of Cramming
Feb 27, 2018
Update April 8, 2018

RIP prototype V0.1 :( Just got this image from the CNC shop. The clamp wasn't tight enough and the whole block just flew out when they are trying to profile the edge. Well, gotta try again I guess.
Maybe not entirely appropriate but does anyone else see the *ahem* junk?

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 5, 2016
Update April 15, 2018

Well, now we know anodizing an aluminum radiator won't work look good:

I haven't got it on hand yet, maybe it will just be the look but the anodization still covers the inside!

Last edited:

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 5, 2016
this is the longcat of radiators....

how about normal spray paint? just for the exterior, of course
That's what I'm hoping. I know that anodizing cast aluminum won't look good, but the only thing I need from the anodization is that it covers the interior and make it completely insulated.

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 5, 2016
In terms of selling an AIO kit you could probably make it a Kickstarter tier.
I would love to, but as I previously discussed in this thread, I don't want to do a big run to attract too much attention.
As far as I know, Astek might hold several patents related to AIO watercooling which I can not avoid. Doing a big run might put me in legal troubles. So what I will probably do is open small batches for pre-orders (10-15 per batch) and go from there. Still too early to say tho since I'm still waiting for my prototype :)

Damascus

Master of Cramming
Feb 27, 2018
I would love to, but as I previously discussed in this thread, I don't want to do a big run to attract too much attention.
As far as I know, Astek might hold several patents related to AIO watercooling which I can not avoid. Doing a big run might put me in legal troubles. So what I will probably do is open small batches for pre-orders (10-15 per batch) and go from there. Still too early to say tho since I'm still waiting for my prototype :)

Your project has actually inspired me to make something of a similar nature, it's still in the very early phases but I'm considering calling it "Hermes"

As you know, the s4m, dancase etc. have severe heatsink limitations for air cooling, most importantly height. This means that if you want an air-cooled 6950x s4m build (Like me) you're totally screwed (if only because there is only 1 heatsink that is compatible lol)

My solution? A custom heatsink, with a similar design to a monoblock. Using 6 6mm copper heatpipes and a lot of dense copper fins that are custom height to the motherboard (30mm total height with direct connection to the vrms) + a 15mm noctua fan I think it could cool the vrms and cpu extremely well.

Obviously it's not cost effective (about $80 in raw materials for a consumer) or mass marketable (needs to be specifically redesigned for every mono) but I honestly think it's the best option for air cooling.

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 5, 2016
A quick update, just got words back from the CNC workshop. The block should be finished milling today! All that left will be silver plating the block (I have to go with silver plating instead of nickel plating for the prototype since they can't do nickel plating for only one part).

rosinbole

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 18, 2018
www.instagram.com
Your project has actually inspired me to make something of a similar nature, it's still in the very early phases but I'm considering calling it "Hermes"

As you know, the s4m, dancase etc. have severe heatsink limitations for air cooling, most importantly height. This means that if you want an air-cooled 6950x s4m build (Like me) you're totally screwed (if only because there is only 1 heatsink that is compatible lol)

My solution? A custom heatsink, with a similar design to a monoblock. Using 6 6mm copper heatpipes and a lot of dense copper fins that are custom height to the motherboard (30mm total height with direct connection to the vrms) + a 15mm noctua fan I think it could cool the vrms and cpu extremely well.

Obviously it's not cost effective (about $80 in raw materials for a consumer) or mass marketable (needs to be specifically redesigned for every mono) but I honestly think it's the best option for air cooling.
I'd honestly be ready to pour upwards of 100$ into that with a moments notice if it performed the same or better as an asetek 545lc. Awesome idea!

Reactions: Damascus

Damascus

Master of Cramming
Feb 27, 2018
I'd honestly be ready to pour upwards of 100$ into that with a moments notice if it performed the same or better as an asetek 545lc. Awesome idea!

Thanks man :D I'd like to make a model for the z_70i mobo line as well because Asus seems to not change it between generations and it's pretty popular.

rosinbole

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 18, 2018
www.instagram.com
Thanks man :D I'd like to make a model for the z_70i mobo line as well because Asus seems to not change it between generations and it's pretty popular.
Sounds nice! If you need a helping hand hith anything, just PM me... I've done a lot of CAD work, and I know quite a bit about the business side of it too ;) Oh yeah, and I have a z270i :)

If you're going solo, good luck and please make a thread about it, so we can all follow the process :)

itzfx

Chassis Packer
Nov 13, 2017
Dude this is so cool, can't believe I missed this... came from you thread on the custom projects section.

I was actually going to make something similar for my Ghost S1 workstation that I'm building. I am going to use the x299 platform. I purchased the bits power monoblock and I'm going to use that as the base, but going to redesign the acrylic by retrofitting and extending the acrylic block and mile a new one. Going to pick up some plasti dip to coat the acrylic in grey and scan it, going to model the base channels for the CPU and VRM blocks then inlets for the pump. If space allows, would like to have 2 pumps in there. I've done similar for my R80 rig. Anyway, sorry if hijacked with an idea, but it was really motivating to see your work!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9298mh213wlpwk7/15943020_10154715929416839_229229831_o.jpg?dl=0

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 5, 2016
Update April 22, 2018

Finally, after all this waiting

Its done!
Sorry for the bad image quality, this is taken by my CNC shop. I will make sure to take some good photo of it and share with you guys!
Now all thats left is to wait another two weeks for it to arrive at my place...