Project Mercury - An internal watercooled Skyreach 4 Mini

Will you pay 300$ USD for a motherboard monoblock that have pump and resivior intergrated into it?

• Yes

Votes: 60 69.0%
  • Way tooooo expensive

Votes: 17 19.5%
  • *Rember, you saved on fittings(at least 2 of them), pump top, and reservoir with an AIO like this*

Votes: 10 11.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BernardoZ

Founder of Z-CASES
z-cases.com
Feb 7, 2018
www.z-cases.com
Ha, I'm planning on making a monoblock with a pump as well as reservoir integrated into it.

That's exactly what Asetek seems to hold the patent of, so watch out if you plan to sell it.
I will confirm it next week, and let you know by PM.
Anyway, will be awesome if you manage to manufacture that block, I'll follow your results.

PS: I'm not trying to down your project, but the opposite! I'm also hoping there is no patent problem involved, so that I can implement a similar thing on my own project, or maybe even buy your unit. I'm just sharing with you the info I got this week ;)

Cheers

Last edited:

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 5, 2016
That's exactly what Asetek seems to have the patent of, so watch out if you plan to sell it ;)
I will confirm it next week, and let you know by PM.
Anyway, will be awesome if you manage to manufacture that block, I'll follow your results.

Cheers
Thanks for the info! I'm probably gonna sell them in really small quantities, just enough for the manufacturer to make a batch for me :p
And the good thing is, I'm located in Canada! A US patent probably won't affect me. But still, let me know if you have more info!

Reactions: BernardoZ

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 5, 2016
Update#2 2/23/2018

Got both of the radiator setup, one of them is using 3 Noctua 40x10 fans and one is using a generic 40x20 fan. More Noctua fans will arrive on Monday and I can replace the generic fans then :p I will leave the system run overnight again to get rid of the air bubbles then do a proper stress test.

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 5, 2016
Update 2/24/2018

I have a feeling that one of my 40mm radiators is faulty. The temperature difference between the two ends is drastic. The end where the fittings located gets really hot to the touch and the opposite end is just slightly warm, or even cool to the touch.
I actually bought another radiator earlier to test out if I can modify the fittings. While the modding failed, during the process I discover that the wall separating the inlet and outlet are basically non-existent. So the liquid that goes through the radiator won't actually goes through all the fins, but just went straight from the inlet to the outlet, like this:

I took some images back then, here they are:

Back then I thought it's just a faulty unit so I contacted Alphacool and they ask me to find my local seller to get a refund or exchange. I'm a bit lazy so I still haven't done that. Instead, I bought another unit from the same seller, and use that one in my first testing on 2/22/2018.
Yesterday, 2/23/2018, I added another radiator into the loop, this time buying directly from Amazon. I notice that when the system is running, the unit I got from Amazon has a really pronounce temperature difference between the ends. So I'm not sure what's happening here. Maybe the original seller I bought from has a faulty batch from Alphacool, who knows.

Anyways, I'm gonna do some testing later today with my current setup. I bought a temperature gun as well as a new 40mm radiator from Amazon. When they arrive I can swap out this *might be faulty* unit and check out the difference.

That's all, thanks for reading :p

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
I don't know the exact details on the patent, but I can confirm that asetek does have the patent for the pump being on the CPU block.

This is the patent:

https://patents.google.com/patent/US8245764B2/en?oq=8,245,764

Looks like they've just reapplied for another extension with the official expiration in May of 2025. Looks like another decade or so of stifled innovation!!

EDIT: Filing date of Oct.7, 2011 means this might expire in 2021 instead.

Jonny727272

Airflow Optimizer
Feb 26, 2017
Reactions: Soul_Est

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 5, 2016
Update 2/26/2018

Hey guys, back with some bad news (or maybe good news haha)
I can almost confirm that one of my radiators is faulty.
I disabled the fans on the suspected faulty one and left the system idle for several hours. The idle temperature is basically identical compared to when fans are on:
Fans on:

Fans off:

Then, I run a stress test on the system as well. Guess what - the result is almost the same compared to fans on:
Fans on:

Fans off:

The good news is, I know that replacing my radiator will probably result in way better temps :p

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 5, 2016
Update 2/27/2018

Got a new radiator today, time for some new tests :p
I undervolted my system and turned off Asus multicore enhancement, as well as some other tweaks.
Now on AIDA64 stability test, after about 10 minutes, the temperature stables at around 60°C!

Obelisk

Trash Compacter
Nov 21, 2017
Update 2/27/2018

Got a new radiator today, time for some new tests :p
I undervolted my system and turned off Asus multicore enhancement, as well as some other tweaks.
Now on AIDA64 stability test, after about 10 minutes, the temperature stables at around 60°C!
What's your radiator setup after getting the new one?

Last edited:

Kallus

Caliper Novice
Feb 27, 2018
Update 2/19/2018

Got the EKWB waterblock today, I can finally verify if a single, or dual 40mmx3 radiators will be able to handle an 8700k :p

It's kinda a bummer when I realize that the block isn't machined out of a single piece of copper! Another reason for me to make the block myself :D
What keyboard you got there?

Tanax

Average Stuffer
Jul 7, 2016
Looking forward to seeing how you plan to fit the reservoir and pump!
Can't the mounting bracket have some sort of mounting above the CPU/PCI-E where perhaps, if not both reservoir and pump, at least one of them can be mounted? It's dead space anyway, no? :)

Reactions: 1461748123

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 5, 2016
Looking forward to seeing how you plan to fit the reservoir and pump!
Can't the mounting bracket have some sort of mounting above the CPU/PCI-E where perhaps, if not both reservoir and pump, at least one of them can be mounted? It's dead space anyway, no? :)
I'm planning on integrating them into my Motherboard monoblock haha