C4B12

Scratchbuilder
Original poster
Jan 11, 2016
www.minimalisticpc.com
Hello,

My name is Johan Nyman, I am a modder from Sweden who loves everything related to small form factor. Recently I finished a completely custom. scratchbuilt case for Corsair that they showed at CES 2016.

The case is made out of 2mm aluminium, CNC-milled by a good friend of mine, ace_finland. The project is based on Corsair's first SFX powersupply, SF600 as well as their new SFF-cooler, H5SF.

Hardware:
Asus Z170I Pro Gaming
Intel i5 6600K
Sapphire Radeon R9 Nano
Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x4GB DDR4
Corsair Force LX 240GB
Corsair SF600

The measurements of the case is 240mm x 230mm x 200mm which lands it at 11 liter. I could have made it a little bit smaller but I only had 1.5 months to finish it.

What do you think about it?

Best regards,
Johan Nyman

|||

King of Cable Management
Sep 26, 2015
Very nice! How do you like the H5? There have been a couple of forum staffers that have experimented with it (here and here) and so far the consensus seems to be that it is very noisy.

I'm looking forward to seeing what other things you've done or will do!

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Welcome to the forum!

The case looks good but don't be shy, we want pics with the covers off :D

Edit: I'm also interested in what you think of the H5 SF.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
I like it! Even if it isn't the smallest possible and I hate the H5SF with a passion, the colour palette is nice and it has a very harmonious industrial, but (for lack of a better word) finished look to it. I particularly like that you've made an effort to make the back fit the rest of the case and how the venting slots on the side don't just cover the GPU but are trimmed more to aesthetics.

There are only a few details that I would maybe criticise.
On the back, having just an open hole for the Nano looks a bit like a rushed solution. I think it would've looked better to attach the card with the four screws on its display connectors and use similar slots to vent the card. A bit like so:

The top window might look better if it was rotated by 180°. Right now it is in an inconvenient spot where nothing of the rig can be seen except for the cooler. If the window was in the front corner, we could see the card, part of the board and the cooler. It does look cleaner as it is right now, though.

A green sticker on the GPU or removal of the sticker would've made the card fit a little bit better, but the best fit would've been Asus' white version of the Nano, but that probably wasn't up to you to decide.

Could we get inside shots, pretty please? :)

C4B12

Scratchbuilder
Original poster
Jan 11, 2016
www.minimalisticpc.com
Very nice! How do you like the H5? There have been a couple of forum staffers that have experimented with it (here and here) and so far the consensus seems to be that it is very noisy.

I'm looking forward to seeing what other things you've done or will do!

Welcome to the forum!

The case looks good but don't be shy, we want pics with the covers off :D

Edit: I'm also interested in what you think of the H5 SF.

Thank you! Sadly I did not have time to test it that much due to shipping it of to CES. I will be getting it back again though so I will test it more.

I will post some pictures of the inside soon. :)

I like it! Even if it isn't the smallest possible and I hate the H5SF with a passion, the colour palette is nice and it has a very harmonious industrial, but (for lack of a better word) finished look to it. I particularly like that you've made an effort to make the back fit the rest of the case and how the venting slots on the side don't just cover the GPU but are trimmed more to aesthetics.

There are only a few details that I would maybe criticise.
On the back, having just an open hole for the Nano looks a bit like a rushed solution. I think it would've looked better to attach the card with the four screws on its display connectors and use similar slots to vent the card. A bit like so:

The top window might look better if it was rotated by 180°. Right now it is in an inconvenient spot where nothing of the rig can be seen except for the cooler. If the window was in the front corner, we could see the card, part of the board and the cooler. It does look cleaner as it is right now, though.

A green sticker on the GPU or removal of the sticker would've made the card fit a little bit better, but the best fit would've been Asus' white version of the Nano, but that probably wasn't up to you to decide.

Could we get inside shots, pretty please? :)

Thank you!

Yes as I said if I had more time I would have trimmed the design and made it even smaller.

Im not very glad about the hole for the Nano either, everything was milled out except that hole because it was to hard measuring it out, so I had to do that by hand, the day before I had to ship it.

Why the windows is over the cooler is to show of a little bit how the cooler looks like, but yes I understand your idea as well.

Wow I looked up the white Nano now, did not know about that one, it would have looked awesome in this case yes. :D

Thank you for the constructive words!

Welcome! Your case is nice and clean. Job well done.

Thank you!

Reactions: Weredawg

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Simple but effective :)

And it's crazy how the cooler is bigger than the video card.

Hahutzy

Airflow Optimizer
Sep 9, 2015
That looks super clean! I really like the idea of using flat sheet metal with those screw cubes as anchors. Where did you get those screw cubes?

C4B12

Scratchbuilder
Original poster
Jan 11, 2016
www.minimalisticpc.com
Hows the temp inside this tiny box :)?

I never checked the numbers very carefully, but I tested a few games, Battlefront for example which is very heavy on the PC and it was all okay... The 140mm fan blows air into the case, the H5SF blows it out. The R9 Nano takes air from the outside and blows it out, SF600 takes air from the bottom and blows it out. So the airflow isnt actually that bad. :)