Project brickiplex 250: a HDPLEX 250W GaN to 12V power brick conversion

morj

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
Feb 11, 2020
Hi!

This is a relatively simple mod for the HDPLEX 250W GaN I haven't seen in the wild yet.

Needed to have slightly more than 200W in a form of 12V power brick. Made an adapter using the technique I've seen for Skyreach Mini builds (for GPU power ): basically, crimped molex mini fit female pins with some heatshrink instead of using a full-blown connector. EPS12V is rated for 336W, so I used 10 wires for the 12V power instead of 8 to be on the safer side.

Yeah, PS_ON is permanently shorted, so it's actually an "always on" brick, but theoretically a switch can be added on the side.

Then I designed an enclosure in Fusion 360:

Just two parts, a base and a lid

Overall volume is about 0.28L (total length is 200mm).

Yeah the gaps are a bit off, I think I will trim some inner walls in order to make them flush.

That's all 🎉

Last edited:

princess_daphie

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 26, 2019
This brick project is very interesting! It makes me happy I chose to buy a Meanwell 330W 12V brick though, because of the simplicity factor! It's much bigger, but it's built for war, lol, and no modding required. And it cost me a little bit less than the GAN would cost me.

Reactions: morj

morj

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
Feb 11, 2020
This brick project is very interesting! It makes me happy I chose to buy a Meanwell 330W 12V brick though, because of the simplicity factor! It's much bigger, but it's built for war, lol, and no modding required. And it cost me a little bit less than the GAN would cost me.

I have a bunch of Adapter Tech 12V bricks (only 192W), but they just can't handle the A2000 power spikes... I also have a HP Eliteone 200w Platinum PSU which is actually quite decent as a brick. Just wanted to have some headroom and experiment with cool GaN tech.

Arboreal

King of Cable Management
Silver Supporter
Oct 11, 2015
@morj I've been watching an HP PSU on UK ebay with the model number 792224-001.
Is this what you have been using?
The HDPlex 250W GAN unit looks really impressive, especially with your 12V only mod.
Keep on pushing those boundaries!

Reactions: fergunat000

princess_daphie

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 26, 2019
I have a bunch of Adapter Tech 12V bricks (only 192W), but they just can't handle the A2000 power spikes... I also have a HP Eliteone 200w Platinum PSU which is actually quite decent as a brick. Just wanted to have some headroom and experiment with cool GaN tech.
Wow?! A 192W power brick not handling a 70w GPU's power spikes :eek:

I looked it up, it seems like a quality piece of tech though, it sucks that it can't handle it. Also more affordable in Canada. The MeanWell brick cost me 200$ shipped.

Well, I've had various experiences of HDPlex with a no-name 240w 19V power brick working with my 5600G+A2000. This combo also works on my cheap 300W 12V PicoPSU (modded) on My MeanWell 360w brick! This brick is a real monster, it's also rated to be able to sustain spikes of up to 415w for a few seconds!

I'm about to test my build with a very cheap 250w 12V power supply from AliExpress. I guess I may eventually make a thread about my power supplies experiments, haha

morj

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
Feb 11, 2020
@morj I've been watching an HP PSU on UK ebay with the model number 792224-001.
Is this what you have been using?
The HDPlex 250W GAN unit looks really impressive, especially with your 12V only mod.
Keep on pushing those boundaries!

Yeah, 792224-001 looks like the one I have now. Unfortunately I first got a fake one from Aliexpress. I believe there are different OEMs also, @REVOCCASES is an advocate of those HP bricks and knows better.

Arboreal

King of Cable Management
Silver Supporter
Oct 11, 2015
Yeah, 792224-001 looks like the one I have now. Unfortunately I first got a fake one from Aliexpress. I believe there are different OEMs also, @REVOCCASES is an advocate of those HP bricks and knows better.
Thanks for confirming those details, I may pick one up. *EDIT* (What are its dimensions?) I see you have just posted the dimensions this morning in the Walrus thread.
I can have a chat with Revoccases if I have technical queries.
I'm looking for a quiet Flex ATX alternative

Last edited: