Practicing my Dremel skills on an old case. I present to you my HP a220n "sleeper" PC.

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Yeah, I just use imgur too. It isn't terribly great, but then again, almost everything else is much worse. You get what you pay for, I suppose.

Neat project, though! My father had that exact computer for nearly seven years, and ran that thing into the ground... I have many fond memories of playing all sorts of games on it - and many more not-so-fond memories of fixing all the software and hardware issues that plagued its last years of life :rolleyes:

Heh, all you need is a blue Linksys router to complete your setup, and boom, you're back in 2003!

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Congrats! You get to inaugurate the brand-new build logs sub-forum :D

I'm still in the process of organizing the forum so let me know what you think.

Nice build, everyone loves a good sleeper rig.

Loved RA2, I think that's the last good C&C game. Sim City 2000 is good too, sunk plenty of hours into that, real shame with the latest installment, I'm glad I didn't pre-order that one.

inflated_waffles

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Feb 24, 2015
Yeah, I didn't give a thought to the new Sim City with all the crap that's been going on at EA in recent years. It's a shame because they used to make great games. Now though, I wouldn't touch them with a 10 foot pole. I tried BF4 when it came out and it was just a rehash of the previous games and I just don't have the willpower to play games like that anymore.

I guess the older you get the pickier your selection becomes.

Yay I get to be first at something :D

Matthew

Cable Smoosher
Feb 28, 2015
My parents definitely had a PC exactly like that... as I recall the mobo died and my 14 year old self tore it apart with much enthusiasm. Good times... :D

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Every now and then someone brings one of these things in to my work to be fixed.

Lately though I've just been recommending to scrap them and get something newer since XP is unsupported.