Log Decided to build my own case

jmarin

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Mar 8, 2018
So I got a special delivery yesterday: THE PANELS! Now the build is done*. All I had to do was to countersink the holes so that the screws sit (mostly) flush with the panels. I didn't do them all perfect, but it's pretty close. There are a few minor nitpicks I have, but really, it turned out better than my worst fears, so I am happy with it. On to the pics:

First without RGB on
Front

CPU Side

GPU Side

I had these nifty little stick on rubber feet in white that I was able to use and didn't add much to the overall height

RGB on
Front

CPU side

GPU side

Blurry desktop pic

So as you can see there are a couple of things that are super minor that stick out to me, most of them fixable or able to be ignored. First, I did not expect the white acrylic to be that transparent almost with the RGB on. I was expecting more of a glow from the vent holes and that is it. Not a huge deal, and I can always turn it off, but an unexpected issue. Second, that random blue glow (that shows up way more on camera than in person) is my fan controller. That is fixable with either a desolder of the LED or some electrical tape. No biggie. Last is that the panels don't match up perfectly in spots. This is more of a thing that I will eventually just ignore as I am not sure I could have done much better without screwing up possibly in the opposite directions from the imperfections now. Also, the front panel does make my fans noisier, but really, it's pretty quiet as is now, but without panels the fans were basically silent and of course anything louder than that is going to stand out. It is still pretty quiet. Anyways, thanks for looking and following along.

*Nothing is ever done, it is a lie we tell ourselves to feel like we accomplished something until we decide to tweak it again later ? ? ?

aromachi

Cable-Tie Ninja
Dec 18, 2019
Very nice! Looks amazing!
You've inspired me to learn CAD and try out ponoko. I love the look of those clean laser cuts.

Reactions: jmarin

jmarin

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Mar 8, 2018
Thanks! This is my second time using them and it always comes out great. I use SketchUp (free and online) to create what I want then use TinkerCAD (also free) to import/export to the right file type for laser cutting. If you have questions let me know, it's pretty easy once you get the hang of it.

Very nice! Looks amazing!
You've inspired me to learn CAD and try out ponoko. I love the look of those clean laser cuts.

aromachi

Cable-Tie Ninja
Dec 18, 2019
Thanks! This is my second time using them and it always comes out great. I use SketchUp (free and online) to create what I want then use TinkerCAD (also free) to import/export to the right file type for laser cutting. If you have questions let me know, it's pretty easy once you get the hang of it.

Just put my first ponoko order in! Been tinkering in freeCAD for 3 days now. Didn't think it'd be this fun.. pretty addicting once you get started. I think I got way too creative for my first time.

Again, thanks for the inspiration.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Never saw this build log before now, but I really enjoyed reading it! An excellent design and build, and an impressive outcome for a scratch build for sure. I've always wondered how a "the front is all intake fans" style sandwich build would end up. Love the Lone L5-esque design of the finished case too. Well done!

Reactions: jmarin

jmarin

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Mar 8, 2018
Just put my first ponoko order in! Been tinkering in freeCAD for 3 days now. Didn't think it'd be this fun.. pretty addicting once you get started. I think I got way too creative for my first time.

Again, thanks for the inspiration.

Wow that looks pretty crazy! Can't wait to see it built!

Reactions: JLcubePC

JLcubePC

What's an ITX?
New User
Jun 6, 2021
Very Cool! Really enjoyed following this thread, it turned out great. The 3D printed brackets gaVE me some ideas for my build.

aromachi

Cable-Tie Ninja
Dec 18, 2019
Revised it a few times after I submitted my order, but it finally came. I gotta say, this sure beats making a case from scratch! haha

On PCPartpicker: https://pcpartpicker.com/b/4QJbt6

Last edited:

Rawn

What's an ITX?
New User
Apr 6, 2020
What is this? Another update? So soon??? Well, I had some time again last night to do a couple of the tweaks that I mentioned in the last post and they seem worthy of an update, albeit minor. I redid the drive rail/caddy system to something much more simpler which gives me the space to mount the side panels without interference (or so minimal it will not matter). Basically just printed a flat piece with 4 holes, two for the drive (recessed) and 2 to mount to the makerbeam. This allows the 9mm thick HDD to sit within the 10mm thick makerbeam profile without rubbing against the PSU, but also makes it much easier to remove than the old design. I also swapped the SATA cable for a longer one for better routing. Makes a much cleaner and less obtrusive path now. I did a slight redesign and reprint of the PSU brackets as well so they line up better with everything and do not interfere with the plug on the PSU itself. Looks 10000% better now. And last pic is just a bonus shot of the PC on and running from the front. Removed the Arctic fan stickers for better aesthetics.

I did put in my order with Ponoko for the panels. I am going with a matte acrylic for all of them, with the top, bottom and both sides in white, and the front grill in black. Here are the renders from Sketchup as to what they will look like. Estimated delivery is right before Thanksgiving, but it might be before then depending. Can't complain for the price (60 bucks shipped for all), and it is 3 mm thick acrylic.

I went with the black and white theme seen on the Lone L5 and the Fractal Design Meshify C, as they are some aesthetic favorites of mine, and also that was the color scheme I had before as well (it seems to be something I like lately, as my car is also black and white now too ? ? ? )

Edit: Forgot to add a preview pic of the front grill. I printed one half to make sure the design looked good on the fan itself before sending out the order and this is it.

Can't wait to see the finished panels on this puppy!
did u somewhere upload the build guide and files? - im Following the same path right now;D thx man!!