Enclosure Portable, sturdy cases with 3 or more expansion slots?

zovc

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Jan 5, 2017
Hey!

I'm trying to find a case that can handle being moved around and left at friends' houses and ideally keep the hardware inside intact.

The firm requirement is that it has 3 or more expansion slots, but other nice-to-haves are room for 2 (or more) 2.5" (or larger) storage drives, and decent sound insulation/damping. And/or thermal performance.

I can't imagine the system using over 400W, so going with one of the DC-DC solutions would be fine if necessary.

jtd871

SFF Guru
Jun 22, 2015
Maybe a small-ish mATX case (SG09, SG10, TJ08E, PS07,-08,-9) off-the-shelf to keep cost down?

Reactions: zovc

zovc

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Jan 5, 2017
I didn't realize there were mATX "Sugo" cases, I'll give off-the-shelf cases another look. Thanks!

jtd871

SFF Guru
Jun 22, 2015
They're subjectively kinda ugly, but they've been around a while.

The PS07/8/9 are, IIRC, similar internally to the TJ08 and the TJ includes a support for heavy CPU air coolers.

Reactions: zovc

zovc

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Jan 5, 2017
I might try to order one from a place with a forgiving return policy and see how I like its footprint. It seems larger than I was hoping, but handling it in person might convince me it's not too much of a hassle to cart around. Having enough space for something like RAID 5/6 is nice. And the 5.25" bays are versatile and I miss them on newer cases.