Enclosure Smallest Case with Expansion Slot

myfoostrong

Case Bender
Original poster
Feb 21, 2019
So, I've been researching different form factors for a build I need to design for a work project. I'm going to need to build anywhere in the realm of 5 to 20 of these things, so I need to be able to reliably source the same parts to keep maintenance of the OS image manageable.

The requirements would be:
  • The case is small as possible. The devices are shipped around often, and stored in pelican cases when not used, so every inch does make a difference.
  • An expansion slot for a good network card (Intel, most likely). I need something better than an on-board NIC, plus having a second one will be beneficial
  • Jobs: Network Analysis and Capture, and Virtualization. So beefy on memory and CPU (at least 16GB, and 4 core processor).
  • A tertiary requirement would be drive capacity, as these potentially would be used to log network packet captures.
I'm figuring micro ITX as its the easiest form factor to source. I had built my original device with STX form factor boards, which were great, but the system requirements point towards having a dedicated NIC, so need to step it up in size.

The motherboard, memory, etc. I can put together easily enough, but its the case that I'm stuck on. Most form factor cases with an expansion slot that I've found are designed for gaming (understandably), which have high cooling and power requirements, whereas mine are not so great.

I've found a number of cases that could

My current contenders are:

Just hoping for a reality check, or potentially something I haven't thought of before. I've found other vendors like the Mini-Box site, but they need you to call in for quotes, etc. Any advice is greatly appreciated, thanks!

myfoostrong

Case Bender
Original poster
Feb 21, 2019
Much appreciated input! They've definitely started me down a couple interesting paths. Will check back in with the decision!