How to get legit Windows XP license key(s)?

jtd871

SFF Guru
Original poster
Jun 22, 2015
I have older 16-bit apps (some are DOS-based) that I use for my engineering work that need to be run on a XP virtual machine. I recently got a new computer at work (went from Core2Quad to i76700 !) with Win 10 Pro Anniversary installed. I had been running a VirtualBox hosting XPMode on the previous machine that was upgraded to 10 Pro from 7 Pro (I picked VirtualBox because the old C2Q CPU was not supported by Hyper-V).

I thought that the XPMode VM was "grandfathered" through the Windows 7 Pro license, but the XP (VM) started asking for me to register on the new machine or I couldn't log in (I suspected that the change in physical CPU might have triggered it, but I'm not entirely sure). I had personally salted away a XP Pro COA I bought on ebay several years ago, so I used that code to register the VM (worked no prob) and requested a reimbursement from my employer ($30), which won't be a problem.

I'd like to get a new XP code to keep against the need to use it for another VM someday. I recently tried ebay again, but the code I bought looked bogus (was not an official MS COA sticker and had "GD-ROM" logos on it - I requested and am getting a refund).

TL;DR: What's the best way to get a legit XP code or multiple (say 10)? I need the codes to be legit as I don't want to get in trouble by knowingly using shady stuff.

BTW, I have a desktop computer (old Dell my company gave away to me free) at home that I'm pretty sure has a COA sticker on it.

jtd871

SFF Guru
Original poster
Jun 22, 2015
AFAIK, XP Mode officially doesn't exist for W10. But you can extract a VM image from the XP Mode download, rather than install from CD.